What makes you work harder?

Started by Loathsome, March 3, 2009 05:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Loathsome

I was listening to this podcast once about a guy who went to this art school and they had a "wall of fame" for their lifedrawings. The best lifedrawings would end up on that wall. Now, this guy who were a student at this school never got on the wall, no matter how hard he tried or how good the drawings came out, he never got up on this wall. At the end of the year he asked his teacher why he never got on "the wall of fame" and he responded: "I figured you would work harder if I didn't put your drawings up there".

So, do you work harder if you get praised a lot, or the other way around?

Cause this guy also said that some students would stop trying their best if they got praised too much.

--

Personally I usually almost give up when teachers at my school critique my stuff too much. But if they say good things about my work I usually work a lot harder to impress them again. Yet I need a challange too but if I never get any "praise" I would be pretty pissed off and be on the edge of giving up.

Wow, I sound like a little childish bitch, lmao.


99

yeah, i hate to admit it, but compliments are like crack.... you want more and more.

shura

if someone tells me that im doing something wrong, i'll take their advice and try it again and again until i feel like i can't improve it any more

f0d

i love critique, especially if its valid. and even if it isnt valid, its still funny. my old animation teacher was big on constuctive criticism, he gave me a B+ in animation storyboarding because he didn't think i could possibly accomplish my etch-a-sketch animation. so i spent the next two quarters more motivated than ever to finish it in time

mindless praise is never good because its not satisfying. but valid, constructive praise from someone i respect means everything in the world. this was especially true with chuck sheetz when he was teaching me animation in his first quarter as professor. his encouragement was what allowed me to pace myself and get the project done
I have more of a life writing this review at 1145 pm than you guys do making these movies. . .

Loathsome

Ah yeah, forgot to mention that it was that praise I said I needed.

...

All nighters, stay away from those.


DrRumack

if it's for someone else i usually work a little harder on it just to be considerate

personal projects never get off the ground though :'(

<Naza> i hate penis exect mine
<Tyler Naugle> JOKE  TIME w/ JOKEOB BRECK
<+pantsman> you have yet to show me any applicable sign of intelligence yet scrib...
<HatsuneMiku> the pings and timeouts of jacob breck
<dilly> the tba will look up and cry "save us!".... and i'll look down and whisper .... "h"
Quote from: stealth trollwhat's up with you not sucking dicks like the faggot you are
<+fluffkomix> mrscriblam has added you as a friend
<+fluffkomix> ignore

<+mrscriblam> lmao

Kirbopher

Seeing stuff that other people worked REALLY hard on. Not just because it's inspirational, but gives you a little kick in the ass to make something as good.
TehBorkOrlies~ (Kirbin' up your threads since December 2nd, 2008.)

shitturtle

i don't show anyone in real life my drawings.

the internet is good for criticism though, as long as you keep away from social networks disguised as art sites ie; deviantart.

rtil

Quote from: shitturtleas long as you keep away from social networks disguised as art sites ie; deviantart.
?

the only bad thing about deviantart is that unless you ask for criticism, 99% of what you'll get are bland "good job" comments. this puts a lot of artists and animators in their comfort zone and they never improve or, get worse.

it's a mixture of the people around you and how serious you are about artwork.

but i tend to find the best artists are the ones that seclude themselves, because they tend to develop styles that aren't tainted by pop culture


shitturtle

Quote from: rtil
Quote from: shitturtleas long as you keep away from social networks disguised as art sites ie; deviantart.
?

the only bad thing about deviantart is that unless you ask for criticism, 99% of what you'll get are bland "good job" comments. this puts a lot of artists and animators in their comfort zone and they never improve or, get worse.

that was exactly my point.

rtil

Quote from: shitturtle
Quote from: rtil
Quote from: shitturtleas long as you keep away from social networks disguised as art sites ie; deviantart.
?

the only bad thing about deviantart is that unless you ask for criticism, 99% of what you'll get are bland "good job" comments. this puts a lot of artists and animators in their comfort zone and they never improve or, get worse.

that was exactly my point.
how does that make it a social networking site?

shitturtle

people are only commenting as friends.
they add you as a friend.
and then they "good job" you when you submit.
plus journals and stuff where people share stuff that only their friends would give a shit about.

i'm pretty sure even the creators would consider it an intentional hybrid.

rtil

#13
Quote from: shitturtlepeople are only commenting as friends.
they add you as a friend.
and then they "good job" you when you submit.
plus journals and stuff where people share stuff that only their friends would give a shit about.

i'm pretty sure even the creators would consider it an intentional hybrid.
well if you look at it that way every website with user-created content is a social networking site. but i don't see the crime in it as it tends to connect people with common interests, which is sort of - you know - the point.

growth of any community equals to a degradation of the average quality of the user - there's simply no stopping that. so whine and complain all you want but that will never change. in fact you're just making it worse.

if you don't "give a shit" about what people have to say in their journals and twitters and whatnot, then ignore it. the purpose of the site remains - tools for promoting your own work. and last time i checked the journals fall a far 2nd to the popularity of artwork (however horrible it may be) and photography on deviantart.

and here's a novel idea - if you want critique, ask for it. people don't hand it out because it takes effort and most just get upset at the site of it anyway and consequently get scared out of offering it. we live in a "pat on the back" society as it is.

shitturtle

Quote from: rtilwell if you look at it that way every website with user-created content is a social networking site. but i don't see the crime in it as it tends to connect people with common interests, which is sort of - you know - the point.

growth of any community equals to a degradation of the average quality of the user - there's simply no stopping that. so whine and complain all you want but that will never change. in fact you're just making it worse.

i never complained about it, i just said it's not ideal for critique.
you said the same.

i'm not saying the world should be rid of social networks. I just think that sites like deviantart, that are designed with social networking in mind, aren't going to give as much critique as something like a public forum.
deviantart are notorious for deleting valid critique just because it isn't "friendly", and the attitude over there seems to be, add artists you admire, and comment/favorite their art.

i'm not attacking you because of your fanbase at deviantart or anything, and i'm not accusing you of indulging in praise and ignoring critique either. i'm just hating on deviantart, leave me alone.

billy

sometimes my girlfriend massages my ass and that increases my productivity by 47%

zNelson24

I do get lots of those complements, but thats not exactly what makes me work harder. But rather the fact Im doing what I want to do. My grades tend to skyrocket in my elective classes while the grades in my academic classes tend to be so-so.
-zNelson24

topcatyo

#17
It depends, in all honesty.  I think just getting noticed makes me want to work harder.  Criticism is enough to make me want to fix whatever is wrong with what I've done, and comments are nice and stuff, but those really don't affect my productivity.
If I make this amazing work of art (psh, yeah right) and no one ever sees it and it's just for hanging in my bathroom to look at when I'm doing a twosie, then, while relaxing and incredibly gratifying that I've made such a thing, why should I work harder if no one else is going to see it?  I wouldn't stop doing art because it's what I love to do, but I'm certainly going to cut more corners and not work quit as hard since I'm not making my life's best work.
However, say ten people see it.  Now I've got people who may or may not enjoy future works of arts.  I'm not saying my stuff needs to be hung up in a gallery or anything, and I'm certainly not saying I'd whore myself out for people to see it, but...
Well I can't fully explain it.
I'm awesome.

trent bortknob

Quote from: Billysometimes my girlfriend massages my ass and that increases my productivity by 47%
lmao

anigen

Quote from: taylor
Quote from: Billysometimes my girlfriend massages my ass and that increases my productivity by 47%
lmao
lmao