What makes you work harder?

Started by Loathsome, March 3, 2009 05:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Kött

Quote from: anibutt
Quote from: taylor
Quote from: Billysometimes my girlfriend massages my ass and that increases my productivity by 47%
lmao
lmao
Did you measure that?
:3

Daveb0t

I rarely follow any external motivations when working on a peice.  I like to work on my own schedule, and revisit and rehash things until I feel the final product is presentable.

f0d

my best motivation grade-wise used to be competition. the first 3 years of high school i spent competing with my friends for who got the better grades, which got me a few quarters of straight As. soon i realized how retarded and nerdy that was and slacked off senior year. somehow i still pulled off straight As due to bullshitting and sucking up.
i slacked off freshman year in college, got lots of Bs, had little social life. since then ive been doing more drugs and partying than ever before and getting progressively better grades. so i really cant explain that one. i guess thats just the film school for you. if i get straight As again this quarter, i'll be cum laude
I have more of a life writing this review at 1145 pm than you guys do making these movies. . .

funzop

Quote from: MrScriblamif it's for someone else i usually work a little harder on it just to be considerate

personal projects never get off the ground though :'(

Hammi

#24
Quote from: LoathsomeBut if they say good things about my work I usually work a lot harder to impress them again. Yet I need a challange too but if I never get any "praise" I would be pretty pissed off and be on the edge of giving up.

Whaddya think happened to me?

Quote from: f0dmindless praise is never good because its not satisfying.

damn fucking straight

Quote from: rtilthe only bad thing about deviantart is that unless you ask for criticism, 99% of what you'll get are bland "good job" comments. this puts a lot of artists and animators in their comfort zone and they never improve or, get worse.

thats what pisses me right off, i hhhhhhhhhate it when people do that

Quote from: topcatyoIt depends, in all honesty.  I think just getting noticed makes me want to work harder.  Criticism is enough to make me want to fix whatever is wrong with what I've done

If I make this amazing work of art (psh, yeah right) and no one ever sees it and it's just for hanging in my bathroom to look at when I'm doing a twosie, then, while relaxing and incredibly gratifying that I've made such a thing, why should I work harder if no one else is going to see it?

yeah i agree, i end up questioning myself and my ambitions

ANYWAY

what makes me work harder is when people acknowledge me (especially my work), it motivates me. It confirms that what ive done so far really have been worth my time, that ive actually gotten somewhere. I dont want mindless praise, i dont want people kissing up like fags, i dont want people to make dumb comparisons telling me that ive done something incredible yet in reality its just nonsense, and i definitely dont want people to "lecture" me as if my job was to impress everyone. I only got one boss (ME). If i wanna impress anyone, i wanna do it with pure dedication and skill without being looked down at as some noob artist trying to pull off a million bucks in one night. It better come out good though, otherwise im never satisfied. I want achievements through clear minded outspoken TRUTH about what i do. But if theres no hope, so be it. Im not a fucking attention whore who runs around pushing my work down peoples throats. If i fall, then i fall. Either because of people who just dont care or because i wasnt meant for this shit after all. THE END.
<GreatRapperLenkazuka> lmao
<GreatRapperLenkazuka> hammi you are my top paki
<GreatPakiHammizuka> top at dem all maynn


rtil

Quote from: shitturtlei never complained about it, i just said it's not ideal for critique.
you said the same.

i'm not saying the world should be rid of social networks. I just think that sites like deviantart, that are designed with social networking in mind, aren't going to give as much critique as something like a public forum.
deviantart are notorious for deleting valid critique just because it isn't "friendly", and the attitude over there seems to be, add artists you admire, and comment/favorite their art.

i'm not attacking you because of your fanbase at deviantart or anything, and i'm not accusing you of indulging in praise and ignoring critique either. i'm just hating on deviantart
i never said you were talking about me and i know you weren't. all i was pointing out is the fact that as those kinds of places grow it gets harder to find value in the comments. aaaaaaand yeah their staff is pretty sucky, especially since they added some mods specifically for furry galleries. they make for the worst daily deviations. i wonder why!

Quoteleave me alone.
lmao

Kött

Well, that thesis may have contain a true fact, but only under really special curcumstances...

Most people I know just give things up if something doesn't work at the first try... And even if you keep working on something... after a certain amount of losses you will lose your motivation...
Of course people would also lose their dedication if anything they did was praised as a goddamn masterpiece, but I think most people rather need some appreciation before they start developing themselves...
:3

texas

#27
nothing makes me work harder
i have no artistic motivation
like once a month ill draw something
i wish i could enjoy drawing but i cant

mishkamash

whenever i have some awesome idea of a sketch or a cartoon
i usually
never even get to it

but i do sketch on most of my school work and the stuff i show you guys is like, not even half of what i really make
i guess i'm a "do it when i feel like it" kind of person

which is kinda
not good
<lenko> i saw a hedgehog on the way home if i was drunk i would have yelled IM DOCTOR RRRRROBOTNIK and chased it 

psi43

Quote from: f0dvalid, constructive praise from someone i respect means everything in the world.

yah. If someone who spelz liek diz on newgrounds tells you your stuff is t3h pwnage you wouldn't even really take that serious. If someone who you look up to (like some really good artist or animator, internet or not) tells you that you did a really good job it's a satisfying feeling. Unless he's super good friends with you and only says that to make you happy that's always shit.

mishkamash

oh and considering critique i love either
sometimes when i make an obvious mistake and not notice it, but show it to some girl who is like, slightly to a lot better drawer than me will point it out and i'll feel like an idiot, but yeah
<lenko> i saw a hedgehog on the way home if i was drunk i would have yelled IM DOCTOR RRRRROBOTNIK and chased it 

Daveb0t

Quote from: HarryTheHeads
oh I meant art
uhh regular work shit I work on necessity and drive, there's things I enjoy and know well (math and science), and things I have to push myself to do (history).  Still hardly any external motivation, except when I receive news I need to pull my grades up

davidmoore0

I don't get praise or critique. I just do whatever and when I do something for real, I put my heart into it.

fish

I have no idea why but every time I sit down and put my heart into something I always end up with some messed up piece of shit I can't stand to even look at.

so I try and trick myself into thinking that I'm just making some lazy spam drawing and sometimes they come out okay like that

Quote from: rtilbanned

emanhattan

I tend to work better/harder when I am under pressure. A good example being collabs where you have a deadline and you have to actually try and not waste everyones time.

I dont know, I feel like it´s more my thing.

Its also a weakness because I almost never find the spark to finish my solo flashes

emanhattan

when I show one of my works to my peers and teachers generally they think is very good, but I try not to get that to my head because I consider myself a n00bert compared to other guys around.

I guess more than anything, it isnt about appreciation by other people, but by myself about whatever I do. I want to be able to look at my own stuff in later years and say "wow, im getting better"

ansel


Quote from: Factoryshut up you skinny white ugly prick

tmk

Quote from: emanI tend to work better/harder when I am under pressure. A good example being collabs where you have a deadline and you have to actually try and not waste everyones time.

I dont know, I feel like it´s more my thing.

Its also a weakness because I almost never find the spark to finish my solo flashes

that's exactly how I am as well

if I'm not obligated to make something I'll probably end up spending my time dicking around instead

GRINACE

Quote from: f0di love critique, especially if its valid.

mindless praise is never good because its not satisfying.

BloodyCheery

Knowing that I could be assigned an even shittier job.
*  Isabella_ ( ~Isabella_Python.Bot) has joined #thebackalleys
<BloodyCheery> oh look it's Isafaggot
<Isabella_> Shut your whore mouth
"Hello?""Are you still there?"
"I see you!"

|