star wars: the force awakens (spoilers)

Started by rtil, December 23, 2015 01:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

rtil

#20
Quote from: valiums on December 26, 2015 01:49 AM
Unless the next film has him becoming good.

unlikely, he just went full evil, plus he got fucking embarrassed by a wookie, a TRAITOR and a girl who totally friendzoned the dark side. he is going to be much more powerful in the next film getting trained by that weird looking Snoke dude and he's going to be out for blood.

i'm also very glad he's not dead. one of the biggest mistakes of the prequels was killing off Darth Maul, a character we knew almost nothing about and had a whopping 2 lines of dialogue getting chopped in half at the end of TPM.

turns out that didn't actually kill Darth Maul but you never figure that out unless you watch the Clone Wars animated series.. but most people don't know that

d-floe

#21







dilly

I liked the movie a lot and I'm glad I saw it in imax because it's beautiful

my only gripes is that I wish there was more interactions and story given about the characters and the ending was cut down to just the exchange and not the long swivel camera pan.

but a++ would star the wars again

<@reptilicus> am I in backwards land?
<@reptilicus> if i go to the toilet will poop go up into my rectum

rtil

Quote from: dilly on December 28, 2015 01:36 AM
imax
i'm super excited for my 2nd viewing because i'll be seeing it on a 70mm imax projector and afaik it's the only one in my state

since the film was shot on it it's the way it was "meant to be seen"

zwimmy

Who else was really relieved when Snoke turned out to be a hologram and not an actual giant? Cause that woulda been really fuckin dumb.

rtil

Quote from: zwimmy on December 28, 2015 03:07 AM
Who else was really relieved when Snoke turned out to be a hologram and not an actual giant? Cause that woulda been really fuckin dumb.

i was , as well as surprised. he had me totally fooled. i'm not super keen on his design, though. he just looks like a generic alien with a scar on his head.

dilly

I honestly was too because i was like "shit are they trying to go for a whole guardians of the galaxy vibe or"

<@reptilicus> am I in backwards land?
<@reptilicus> if i go to the toilet will poop go up into my rectum

cipher

I was kind of hoping that Snoke's appearance was kept hidden as he would turn out to be some other character we already knew. But nope, another alien dude. Seems cool though. I too agree with most things that have been said here, won't bother reiterating. All and all the film sort of just feels like one big setup for whatever is coming next. All the characters that get 5 minutes of screen time or whatever are bound to come back in more meaningful ways. It was Hans' film ultimately, and I'm more than okay with that.

I'm not as okay with the idea of a Han Solo backstory film though. I'm going to try and keep an open mind, but I think it's better left a mystery.

rtil

#28
Quote from: cipher on December 28, 2015 07:19 AM
I'm not as okay with the idea of a Han Solo backstory film though. I'm going to try and keep an open mind, but I think it's better left a mystery.

my biggest worry is who the hell do you cast who can pass as a younger harrison ford? those are huge shoes to fill. i know they've done thousands of auditions and they're bound to find someone but it would be a difficult choice to make. i certainly wouldn't want to be responsible for casting that role.

dilly


<@reptilicus> am I in backwards land?
<@reptilicus> if i go to the toilet will poop go up into my rectum

rtil

"make your dreams come true" -han solo

zwimmy


rtil


valiums

Quote from: dilly on December 28, 2015 01:36 AM
the long swivel camera pan

amazing how many people noticed and did not like specifically that

RichChap

[spoiler]

kylo ren's fucking voice was my fav thing in the movie. they made him sound so awesome, would love to figure out what exact processing effects and such they used. would be fun to try to recreate.

my favorites two moments:

kylo ren destroying the console

the side pan over to the millennium falcon as the "garbage ship" referenced (easily one of the best "funny" moments in the film)

favorite scenes:

first scene with kylo ren's appearance, stopping the laser, etc was easily my favorite scene of the movie, such a great beginning.

I liked the scene with Fin escaping the first order with Poe, I feel like his addition was one of the only things that really set this movie apart significantly from a new hope.

Kylo ren was definitely my favorite character but I really liked them all and think this has been a great setup for the next movie (which I imagine will be better due to having the director of looper on board). good choice to have JJ abrams establish the series though as that's the only thing he is really known to be good at (but he does it pretty well). [/spoiler]

rtil

Quote from: RichChap on December 30, 2015 12:13 AM
[spoiler]

kylo ren's fucking voice was my fav thing in the movie. they made him sound so awesome, would love to figure out what exact processing effects and such they used. would be fun to try to recreate.
it sounded like one of those budget amps cuz it had a little distortion. like he was trying to emulate how darth vader sounded but he'd never heard his voice before (i assume he hasn't). i seriously love the darth vader wannabe route for him, a lot of people don't like him cuz he's not 100% badass like vader was but he's obviously young and has nowhere near the amount of training anakin had. it will be great to see his character development. the raw emotion he shows alone is so much more acting and personality than we ever got with the prequels

rtil

Quote from: valiums on December 29, 2015 11:06 PM
Quote from: dilly on December 28, 2015 01:36 AM
the long swivel camera pan

amazing how many people noticed and did not like specifically that

when i was trying to remember this i thought it was like a 180 camera pan, but now that i've seen it again (in a gif) it's more like 90 and i kind of don't mind it anymore. for the final shot though maybe it would have been better if it wasn't a moving shot. but hindsight is 20/20, it wasn't a bad shot by any means

rtil

Quote from: valiums on December 29, 2015 11:06 PM
Quote from: dilly on December 28, 2015 01:36 AM
the long swivel camera pan

amazing how many people noticed and did not like specifically that

when i was trying to remember this i thought it was like a 180 camera pan, but now that i've seen it again (in a gif) it's more like 90 and i kind of don't mind it anymore. for the final shot though maybe it would have been better if it wasn't a moving shot. but hindsight is 20/20, it wasn't a bad shot by any means

Bamyasi

Why'd they call it The Force Awakens I was asleep the whole time.

soup

laughtrack plays

a cacophony of knee slaps fill the thread

"He was shown the smallness and tinsel emptiness of the little Earth gods, with their petty, human interests and connections - their hatreds, rages, loves and vanities; their craving for praise and sacrifice and their demands for faiths contrary to reason and nature."


"...it stimulates the part of the brain called "shatners-bassoon", and that's the bit of the brain that deals with...time perception..."

|