Uchouten Kazoku

Started by basketweaver, July 23, 2013 03:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

rtil

yeah i just started it actually

basketweaver

i got extremely nostalgic for this show a few weeks ago and im currently in the process of rewatching it. damn, this show is good, like seriously, it's very good. the art, atmosphere, music, and great themes, a carefree attitude while still being semi-serious.

>transcending the suffering in life and becoming friends with your enemies
>acknowledging and understand the natural order of the world, but still choosing to subvert it and make ironic exceptions for yourself
>wanting to be part of a higher purpose but not wanting to take yourself too seriously
>understanding that you're just a frog in a well who still needs to learn more in order to understand the big picture of life

>strong female character who is powerful in a female way, not just a man written to be a girl character
>crying when no one is watching because of the loss you've suffered in order to become strong
>the vulnerabilities of girlhood

>To eat is to love. I feel bad for them, but I like raccoon dogs so much that I want to eat them up. Not just raccoon dogs, either. Humans will eat all the cute little critters out there. It's a shame, but they're just so delicious. A fine contradiction, wouldn't you say? Just like love. If I'm gonna die one day anyway, and as long as it doesn't hurt too much, I'd rather be a raccoon dog's dinner than to die all wrinkly in a hospital. Dying in a hospital doesn't nourish anyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-PJLtp50Lo

rtil

tfw you love something so much you literally eat it

rtil

in all seriousness thought the themes that uchouten kazoku deals with are pretty heavy. her circumstances forced her to become conflicted in order to make her way in the world. she's feared for the wrong reasons

zwimmy


Bamyasi

Quote from: basketweaver on January 28, 2016 12:36 AM
>strong female character who is powerful in a female way, not just a man written to be a girl character
Quote from: basketweaver on January 28, 2016 12:36 AM
>strong female character who is powerful in a female way
Quote from: basketweaver on January 28, 2016 12:36 AM
>strong female character
Quote from: basketweaver on January 28, 2016 12:36 AM
>who is powerful in a female way
Quote from: basketweaver on January 28, 2016 12:36 AM
>powerful in a female way
Quote from: basketweaver on January 28, 2016 12:36 AM
>female way
I get what you're saying though. Feminine strength isn't appreciated enough in the west. Here's a great quote from an MRA which means people disregard it outright but it's true:

Quote from: Warren FarrellMen's greatest weakness is their facade of strength, and women's greatest strength is their facade of weakness.
Also I have very little recollection of this show.

basketweaver

Quote from: Bamyasi on January 28, 2016 02:25 AM
Quote from: basketweaver on January 28, 2016 12:36 AM
>female way
I get what you're saying though. Feminine strength isn't appreciated enough in the west.

Lol, I understand that my writing wasn't very precise or politically correct, but what particular gripes did you have with my wording there? I'll make sure to take a note of it for the future.

Quote from: rtil on January 28, 2016 02:15 AM
in all seriousness thought the themes that uchouten kazoku deals with are pretty heavy. her circumstances forced her to become conflicted in order to make her way in the world. she's feared for the wrong reasons

yeah, precisely. it reminds me of this Zella Day comment from an interview:

QuoteI feel like it's something that not a lot of people write about, being a girl. It's really about losing something that you can't get back. It's a sad thing, but it's a thing that we all go through. I think it's about the loss, but about the evolution at the same time. The vulnerability of being a girl.

I feel like I don't know enough about what it's like to live a coming-of-age story as a girl. It's definitely a totally different experience, and I feel like I'm missing out since none of my favorite authors write about female strength. Maturity and strength definitely must be different for girls since girls generally: 1) emotionally mature faster than boys during their adolescent years; and 2) are taught to maintain a youthful, childlike purity which seems to be completely at odds with personal growth

Bamyasi

Oh I was just busting your balls over implied essentialism.

There are a few bildungsroman from a female perspective, but most of them are either YA or written by a Bronte. I agree about it being underrepresented. It seems like most of the famous women of literature, your Emma Bovary's and Anna Karenina's, are already on the cusp of womanhood or beyond by the time the curtain lifts. It's a much more common subject in anime and manga, which must be embarrassing for lit snobs.

Even in the past decade this hasn't changed much. Like is Twilight and John Green the best we can do? Pathetic really. Same with movies.

zwimmy

I'll show ya some female strength you little punk

Bamyasi


basketweaver

#30
lol. i thought this anime couldn't get better, but it did. just finished, ending was great. other themes i noticed:

- when two traditions come into collision with each other, one of them must be broken
- tradition is important, but it shouldn't be blindly followed nor absolutely disregarded
- whether you like it or not, you're a descendent of your ancestors and an inheritor of their lineage
- different castes of people have their own modes of existence and ultimate dharmas
- transcending your circumstances
- living an interesting life without being so serious and always planning everything

QuoteIn a crowd like this, anyone could be a human, tengu, or tanuki.

in the modern world, caste and tradition isn't as obvious and colorful as it was in the past. now, everyone looks roughly the same.

rtil

you know something's good when it gets better a second time. i'd definitely include uchouten kazoku as being worthy of a rewatch. i have seen it twice myself. another thing i think the anime demonstrates is that you've got to play the cards you're dealt in life because you can't fight against it. basically make the most of what is given to you. you might be able to hide from it but you can't run from it.

rtil


Bamyasi