Writers with a distinct style

Started by jjjjjjjjjj, April 28, 2010 04:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jjjjjjjjjj

The writers I tend to usually fall in love with is the ones that have a sort of distinct style to them . An easy example that comes to mind is Tarintino. His films are easily recognizable for his writing because its so unique with his excellent executed use of dialogue that isn't just there to make the characters interesting, but builds up tension throughout the film . A perfect example is in Pulp Fiction when Jules and Vincent discuss burgers in the car, only to bring it back into a discussion 10 minutes later when they try to receive the suitcase.
Charlie Kaufman wrote some of the most unique screenplays I've seen. Although it usually starts with a protagonist frustrated with life, it turns into this bizarre plot that doesn't take you away from the real world.
The point is if you watch these films you can tell easily that they wrote them.. What writers do you guys admire who have a sort of unique writing style?

Casey Pixmintro

Tarantino is one of my favorites yep yep, it's cool cuz he usually rights the screenplays out as if they'd be published novels.
<@jjjjjjjjjj_Seed> IXINTRO FROM IXINTRO ENTERPRISES GOES MAD WITH HIS NEW FOUND WEALTH AND KILLS A HOOKER
<+RobHalford> hi my name is ix and I wanna get intro you
I'm a stupid moron with an ugly face and big butt and my butt smells and I like to kiss my own butt

Hnilmik

#2
Just guess where this is from.

[codebox]INT. CHURCH - DAY

FLASH! A photo is taken of the wedding couple: Carl and
Ellie, now 19. She jumps at him and gives him a big kiss.

Ellie's side of the church erupts like wild frontiersmen. A
gun shot is fired in the air.

Carl's side, rigid puritans in black, clap politely.

EXT. DILAPIDATED HOUSE - DAY

Carl carries her past a "SOLD" sign. It's the same house
where they met as kids.

EXT. CARL AND ELLIE'S HOUSE - DAY

Still in their wedding clothes: She saws as he hammers.

INT. CARL AND ELLIE'S HOUSE, LIVING ROOM - DAY

They push two chairs into place side by side in the living room.

EXT. CARL AND ELLIE'S HOUSE - DAY

Ellie finishes painting "Carl & Ellie" on their MAILBOX.
Carl leans in to admire her work but leaves a messy paint
handprint on the mailbox! Oh well; Ellie adds her handprint
as well. They smile.

EXT. CARL AND ELLIE'S HOUSE - DAY

Their house now matches Ellie's colorful CLUB HOUSE DRAWING
from her childhood Adventure Book.

EXT. RURAL HILLSIDE - DAY

They run up a hillside together.

They lie side by side on a picnic blanket. She describes the
clouds. He watches as a cloud transforms into a turtle.

Carl closes his eyes and smiles. He's lucky to be with her.

EXT. ZOO - DAY

Ellie emerges from the South America House, dressed in her
Zookeeper's uniform.

Carl shows off his new BALLOON CART and uniform. Behind him
the balloons lift his cart off the ground. Carl jumps to
catch it. She giggles.

INT. CARL AND ELLIE'S HOUSE, LIVING ROOM - DAY

Carl and Ellie sit side by side in their chairs, reading.
Without looking up from their books, they hold hands.

EXT. RURAL HILLSIDE - DAY

Again at their picnic spot, they watch clouds. Ellie sees an
elephant with wings. Carl gives it a try and points out a
BABY. Ellie lights up, excited. She sees ALL the clouds as
babies! Carl is stunned... but smiles.

INT. CARL AND ELLIE'S HOUSE, BABY ROOM - DAY

Ellie finishes painting a wall mural of a stork carrying a
bundle in its beak. Carl hangs a mobile above the crib.

INT. DOCTOR'S OFFICE - AFTERNOON

Carl touches Ellie's shoulder as the doctor explains. Ellie
drops her head in her hands.

EXT. CARL AND ELLIE'S HOUSE, LIVING ROOM - AFTERNOON

Carl looks out the window. Ellie sits alone under a tree,
the wind in her hair.

EXT. CARL AND ELLIE'S HOUSE, YARD - AFTERNOON

Carl joins Ellie. He hands her the Adventure Book. She smiles.

INT. CARL AND ELLIE'S HOUSE, LIVING ROOM - AFTERNOON

Ellie paints a MURAL of their house atop Paradise Falls over
the mantle. Carl organizes a compass, map, binoculars, and
native bird figurine beneath the painting. It's their shrine
to Adventure.

INT. CARL AND ELLIE'S HOUSE, LIVING ROOM - AFTERNOON

Carl sets A JAR on a table, "PARADISE FALLS" written on it.
Ellie drops in a few coins. She looks at Carl and crosses
her heart. Carl crosses his.

A SERIES OF SHOTS

The jar slowly fills as Carl and Ellie toss in spare change.

Their car blows a tire.

The two stand by the jar, reluctant. Carl BREAKS the jar.

New tire.

Carl in the hospital with a broken leg.

Breaking jar.

A storm rages. A tree falls, crushing the roof.

Breaking jar.

INT. CARL AND ELLIE'S HOUSE, FRONT HALL - MORNING

Carl struggles to tie his tie. Ellie helps. They walk out
the front door arm in arm.

INT. CARL AND ELLIE'S HOUSE, FRONT HALL - 3 YEARS LATER

Ellie struggles to tie Carl's tie as they rush out the door.

A SERIES OF SHOTS as Ellie straightens Carl's ties. Stylish
1950's ties. Wide 60's ties. Paisley 70's ties.

INT. CARL AND ELLIE'S HOUSE, FRONT HALL - 30 YEARS LATER

Older Carl and Ellie smile at themselves in the hall mirror.

EXT. ZOO - DAY

Carl in his 60's. They still work happily side by side at
the zoo. Carl's cart lifts off the ground. He casually
leans an elbow on it.

INT. CARL AND ELLIE'S HOUSE, LIVING ROOM - NIGHT

Carl and Ellie dance in the evening candlelight. The
PARADISE FALLS JAR sits off to the side, now dusty and
forgotten.

INT. CARL AND ELLIE'S HOUSE, LIVING ROOM WINDOW - AFTERNOON

Carl cleans the inside of the window. Ellie cleans the
outside.

INT. CARL'S HOUSE, LIVING ROOM - AFTERNOON

Carl vacuums the Adventure Shrine on the mantle. Carl smiles
at a photo of Ellie as a child, wearing her flight helmet and
goggles. He looks up at the mural of their house at Paradise
Falls. His smile fades.

Behind him, Ellie sweeps the floor. Their dream has gone
unfulfilled.

Carl has an idea.

EXT. TRAVEL AGENCY - DAY

Carl buys two tickets to South America.

EXT. RURAL HILLSIDE - AFTERNOON

Carl hurries excitedly up picnic hill. He hides the airline
tickets in his basket.

Behind him, Ellie falters and falls. She tries to get up but
falls again. Something is wrong.

He runs to her.

INT. HOSPITAL ROOM - DAY

Ellie lies in a hospital bed. She looks through her
ADVENTURE BOOK.

A BLUE BALLOON floats in to the room.

Carl stands at the door. He smiles and walks to her bedside.

Ellie pushes her Adventure Book toward him. She weakly pats
his cheek and adjusts his tie.

He kisses her on the forehead.

INT. CHURCH - AFTERNOON

Carl sits alone, next to a huge bouquet of balloons.

EXT. CARL AND ELLIE'S HOUSE - DUSK

Carl walks into the house, holding a single blue balloon.

FADE TO BLACK.[/codebox]
And since it's crazy obvious, I'd like to add that Pixar's scripts are very personality-driven with only so much detail.

Example:

EXT. CARL'S HOUSE, PORCH - DAY - CONTINUOUS
Nothing. He looks left. Nothing. He looks right. Russell.
He looks... Russell?!!

As for Kung Fu Panda's script... Insanely detailed. LOTS of descriptions. It was interesting.

Daveb0t

is there any way to appreciate poetry and not be gay?????????????

Insanity
is only a narrow bridge
the banks are reason and desire
I'm after you
the sunlight confuses the mind
a blind child that crawls forward
because it smells its mother

I find you

The track is fresh and on the bridge
drops your sweat, your warm blood
I don't see you
I only smell you, I sense you
a predator that screams of hunger
I track you for miles by scent

You smell so good
you smell so good
I follow you
you smell so good
I find you
- so good
I'm after you
you smell so good
I will have you soon

Now I have you

I wait until it is dark
then I touch your wet skin
don't betray me
oh don't you see the bridge is burning
stop screaming and don't resist
because otherwise it will break apart

You smell so good
you smell so good
I follow you
you smell so good
I find you
- so good
I'm after you
you smell so good
I will have you soon

You smell so good
you smell so good
I follow you
you smell so good
I find you
- so good
I touch you
you smell so good
now I have you

You smell so good
you smell so good
I follow you



sing this out loud

slantedskarekrow

Quote from: dvvebbbsiuois there any way to appreciate poetry and not be gay?????????????
no.

emanhattan

are you talking about film writers or writers in general cause I can think about 20 book authors that I like but dont know a lot of film writer´s names

shura

i love the writing of charlie kaufman (eternal sunshine, being john malkovich, adaptation)
all his stuff just seems to be extremely original, quirky, and profound. of course it also helps that he teams up with really great directors like spike jonze

logen

For a second there, I thought this thread was going to be about books.

Wasim

well when it comes to musical writers

i prefer writers like Shad who is pretty fuckin smart and has in my opinion a very distinct style when it comes to his writing abilities its got a message to it and the way he executes is pretty great example:

"I Tunes, eye-patch
I'm in the same boat where the pirates be
Tell'em I'm down with that pirate stee
They don't buy it, I say don't buy it - pirate me
If it's Ill, it'll spread virally"

also one of my all time favourite musical writers is Rakim, every sentence basicly rhymes with eachother. you usually gotta listen/read (to) his lyrics more than once to fully understand what he is really trying to bring out. shit's amazing, heres an example:

Just when things seemed the same, and the whole scene is lame
I come and reign with the unexplained for the brains till things change
They strain to slang sling, I'm trained to bring game
History that I arranged been regained by king james
Moughalab zegt: Wanna keep a secret from niggas, write it down in a book they'll never read it.

DrRumack

well if we're including books i really enjoy ray bradbury's stuff

lots of metaphors, very detailed and poetic language

<Naza> i hate penis exect mine
<Tyler Naugle> JOKE  TIME w/ JOKEOB BRECK
<+pantsman> you have yet to show me any applicable sign of intelligence yet scrib...
<HatsuneMiku> the pings and timeouts of jacob breck
<dilly> the tba will look up and cry "save us!".... and i'll look down and whisper .... "h"
Quote from: stealth trollwhat's up with you not sucking dicks like the faggot you are
<+fluffkomix> mrscriblam has added you as a friend
<+fluffkomix> ignore

<+mrscriblam> lmao


Hnilmik

Quote from: BamyasiAuteur theory
That's pretty interesting, dude.

jjjjjjjjjj

before zack and miri kevin smiths writing was really good and had a distinct sorta self parody and comic book nerdiness to it all

im trying to think for more

creamcorn

sometimes kevin smith is good (dogma) but sometimes hes so fucking full of shit and he thinks he can get away with it by stating just that ( chasing amy)

Mew_User

Every writer has a distinct style.