Why doesnt anyone draw like this anymore?

Started by Gerkinman, March 25, 2008 05:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Gerkinman

http://www.geraldscarfe.com/

And why dont the designs in Hercules the movie look anywhere near as cool as the designs he did for them?

I gotta learn me some anatomy so i can distort it properly like this guy does.


Gerkinman

I sure have, many many times, but its over 20 years old, so it doesnt count.

Or do you mean the wall is the reason nobody draws like that anymore?

sQueef

Why doesnt anyone draw like this anymore?
Because it isn't whats in vogue anymore, everything is cyclical and I wouldn't be surprised to see this style or some loose facsimile of it come back into the limelight in the future.

And why dont the designs in Hercules the movie look anywhere near as cool as the designs he did for them?
Not entirely sure what you are talking about here... If you mean that animated Hercules movie Disney made not too long ago, and if he did character design for it, it could be because they simplified his designs to make it easier on the poor clean-up artists or some such thing. Just conjecture.

I gotta learn me some anatomy so i can distort it properly like this guy does.
Anatomy is just an all around good skill to have mastered but yeah. At the same time it's all just a never-ending struggle to get better. You gotta love what you're doing or you'll burn out or maybe worse fade away as time goes on.
Oh, wretched ephemeral race ... why do you compel me to tell you what it would be most expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is utterly beyond your reach: not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. But the second best for you is—to die soon.

Gerkinman

Yeh he was the designer, the designs themselves got very simplified, and very geometric.

sQueef

Quote from: GerkinmanYeh he was the designer, the designs themselves got very simplified, and very geometric.
I'm guessing my hypothesis is probably correct or very near to what actually happened. They just simplified it to make it easier to animate/budget-friendly. They could have used his designs but I don't think they were wanting to put that much more time and money into the project. Disney has gone through some shit with their animators in Modern Times, Zekey can tell you horror stories about that
Oh, wretched ephemeral race ... why do you compel me to tell you what it would be most expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is utterly beyond your reach: not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. But the second best for you is—to die soon.

MRat

Quote from: Squeefhypothesis

lmao i love you squeef
I was gone, FOR SO LONG

sQueef

Quote from: MRat
Quote from: Squeefhypothesis

lmao i love you squeef


also the wall is awesome, and we all know Gerkinman has seen it what with his love of tossing in those damn walking hammers in his movies.
Oh, wretched ephemeral race ... why do you compel me to tell you what it would be most expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is utterly beyond your reach: not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. But the second best for you is—to die soon.

Gerkinman

I always thought the less round and organic something was the harder it was to animate? Or atleast thats what ol John K reacons. Doesnt sound like making the job easier to me, but whatever. Disney was ass by the time that came out anyway.

sQueef

#9
Well before I could make any final decisions on my stance, I would have to closely examine the original character designs and the simplified versions to inspect them for their qualities and determine more exactly what one would be finally more difficult to animate and such.

Pip pip cheery oh ol' bean and all that.

Ahh yes and a fond farewell to you all for I am off to enjoy a good snooze.
Oh, wretched ephemeral race ... why do you compel me to tell you what it would be most expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is utterly beyond your reach: not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. But the second best for you is—to die soon.

Thor

#10
Quote from: Gerkinmanhttp://www.geraldscarfe.com/

And why dont the designs in Hercules the movie look anywhere near as cool as the designs he did for them?


Have you read Illusion of Life?

According to Frank and Ollie, neat character/set designs don't usually translate well into something that moves well; adding motion removes the charm of the original concept painting/sketch (this happened all the time to Mary Blair's stuff. If you guys want page numbers I'll get them for you, or I could take pictures of the book).

BUT

Greek krater art and early Greek art (see: The Kouros) is all geometric. The math minded Greeks preferred to break down forms into simple shapes; I think this is reason for the simplified character design.

Good god, I actually learned something from my art history class last year...

psi43

Quote from: ZekeyHave you seen The Wall, Gerkinman?

I'd love to see it but young jazz tore it down already.

(lmao am I overusing that joke? I think it fit pretty well!)

MRat

Quote from: ThorI read books so I know stuff.


While what you say is somewhat true, alot of that stuff is so rigid in it's analysis and doesn't allow room to factor in the variance in the human condition from man to man, so alot of it is going to be false as well.


Fact is things are going to be different for different people and plenty of times I've seen sketches animated that looks MORE charming than the original still. It's not going to be black and white.
I was gone, FOR SO LONG

rtil

Quote from: Thor
Quote from: Gerkinmanhttp://www.geraldscarfe.com/

And why dont the designs in Hercules the movie look anywhere near as cool as the designs he did for them?


Have you read Illusion of Life?

According to Frank and Ollie, neat character/set designs don't usually translate well into something that moves well; adding motion removes the charm of the original concept painting/sketch (this happened all the time to Mary Blair's stuff. If you guys want page numbers I'll get them for you, or I could take pictures of the book).

BUT

Greek krater art and early Greek art (see: The Kouros) is all geometric. The math minded Greeks preferred to break down forms into simple shapes; I think this is reason for the simplified character design.

Good god, I actually learned something from my art history class last year...
all that, and animating those characters in the exact same style and fashion would take ten times as longer. characters always get simplified, and they call it concept art for a reason.

plus they have a budget to stick to. you have to think realistically when doing an animation production, or you'll wind up like richard williams.

Gerkinman

The art doesnt seem very simplified in the wall, then again i suppose adults are smarter then kids and can tell when stuff has been dumbed down. And there was only 15 minutes of animation in the movie...

trent bortknob

Quote from: ΨNicole
Quote from: ZekeyHave you seen The Wall, Gerkinman?

I'd love to see it but young jazz tore it down already.
lmfao

adamant


rtil

Quote from: unconditionallyguarANTeedwhwat is young jazz
yungjazz. he tears down walls. i believe it started here

YungJazz

Quote from: ΨNicole
Quote from: ZekeyHave you seen The Wall, Gerkinman?

I'd love to see it but young jazz tore it down already.

(lmao am I overusing that joke? I think it fit pretty well!)

lmao

His style's sick, definately, and unique. Who knows, with a lil' revamping, I would definately watch an animated flick with designs like that.


I warned you, stupid.