how nostalgic are you?

Started by Jon, April 5, 2019 06:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon

b honest

to be honest i feel like i reminisce about the past but i don't feel all gooey and nostalgic about it. i feel like the older i get it's just getting easier to grow more emotionally distant to memories. maybe

redmongoose

Quote from: Inaxisdo u have a problem, bastard?!

cipher

I get nostalgic for certain weather conditions, and specific types of places. Even places I have never been, but invoke specific emotions. Sometimes I get nostalgic for things that I've never experienced at all in the first place, which is weird I guess.

zwimmy

i miss my grandparents' house

Jon

that specific and singular vibe of certain moments i guess, that could only be felt once cuz if you went back and tried to recreate it would just be that vibe except youd know in your heart how forced it was

i dont miss sh*t

rtil

i'm nostalgic for web 1.0 even though connections were slow as fucking shit and video was 240p it's still comfy af

BluPhoenix

i find myself most nostalgic for an era that i just barely remember- where i was existing, but i wasn't really "there" for things. the 90s has unironically been fascinating to uncover because of things like web 1.0, the fifth generation of consoles, what music was like, where pop culture was, etc
[12:59 AM] elm: yea honestly if you dont want to cum on elmer fudds bald head whats wrong with you
[07:49.46] <+slack> cum erupts from the dick at an alarming rate
[07:49.59] <+slack> it will blast off and slap the wall at like 40 mph

nuac_

you are a big,big pervert.You have unbridled fantasy!!!

rtil

Quote from: BluPhoenix on October  4, 2023 04:44 PMi find myself most nostalgic for an era that i just barely remember- where i was existing, but i wasn't really "there" for things. the 90s has unironically been fascinating to uncover because of things like web 1.0, the fifth generation of consoles, what music was like, where pop culture was, etc
i can tell you what it was like sonny boy
in the moment, since it was all we knew, and things were changing fast, it was pretty fucking amazing.  although most people couldn't afford the best hardware when it comes to PC stuff, you usually knew a friend who you could go over to their house and experience something you didn't have, be it the latest console, or a game your PC couldn't run (very common)
there are some things that are hard to describe, those "you had to have been there" moments
nostalgia for it is understandable whether you were there to experience it fully or not, however i think if most people could actually go back they would get bored/impatient very quickly. we are too spoiled now

nuac_

Quotethere are some things that are hard to describe, those "you had to have been there" moments

I remember Summer 2000 like;
There were line ups for Marvel 2, big line ups. for the single cabinet.

And Vagrant story still had a lot of polish to it for having Near, Metal Gear tier cinematic cutscenes.

And Metal Gear 2 previews were fucking amazing and was nearly about to come out

And then Utter poo poo happened like Schoolboard and Teacher strikes

And then 9-11.....

Toronto has still been ridiculously shitty since then , no matter who is pointing the finger at whom;
E.g. an entire schoolboard administration wanting the latest iPhones. My mom and dad were teachers and I am literally unphased at this sort of thing now.

you are a big,big pervert.You have unbridled fantasy!!!

rtil

the pre-9/11 world really does seem more innocent looking back. literally nothing good came out of that

BluPhoenix

Quote from: rtil on October  4, 2023 09:35 PMi can tell you what it was like sonny boy
in the moment, since it was all we knew, and things were changing fast, it was pretty fucking amazing.  although most people couldn't afford the best hardware when it comes to PC stuff, you usually knew a friend who you could go over to their house and experience something you didn't have, be it the latest console, or a game your PC couldn't run (very common)
there are some things that are hard to describe, those "you had to have been there" moments
nostalgia for it is understandable whether you were there to experience it fully or not, however i think if most people could actually go back they would get bored/impatient very quickly. we are too spoiled now

yeah, there's a pretty good calvin and hobbes comic where calvin's dad says "technology doesn't make life more convenient, it makes life harassed"- at the time where so much of life was transferring from analog to digital technology and making such great strides in doing so, i'd imagine future shock was a much more familiar feeling to the average person as the tech became more and more ubiquitous. while it was a fascinating time, it did flag down how spoiled we'd eventually become and how tech-illiterate a lot of people would be as it became easier to use and did more for us. i do appreciate the perspective where i can get it, so thank you kindly
[12:59 AM] elm: yea honestly if you dont want to cum on elmer fudds bald head whats wrong with you
[07:49.46] <+slack> cum erupts from the dick at an alarming rate
[07:49.59] <+slack> it will blast off and slap the wall at like 40 mph

naturally

honestly i think people being more willing to be bored today would be a generally positive thing. not in a boo technology bad kind of way but a lot of what's out there to be consumed rn is pretty empty content. having less habits formed around things that are more distractions than actually engaging would probably make me personally much happier.

i don't think i would describe what i feel for a lot of things in the past as nostalgia as much as remembering stuff that mattered then that i still want to respect in whatever i care about today. no matter what i felt was a really good memory, there was always something that i don't really envy about past periods anyway and whoever i used to be, and generally i'm usually happier with who i've grown into/where i am now.

i definitely get nostalgic about a few video game memories though that can't really be reobtained.

Jon

yeah pretty much. i don't really envy the past because most times were pretty double-sided. which in a way is good because it helps me carry on with making the present better generally. no need to get caught up in the past all the time.

sometimes i think of people that really had no issue at all irt their late teens/early 20s and i wonder, but only once in a while

PocketIllust

I was nostalgic until I started browsing my posts from a decade and a half ago (2009 ish)
they're so painful to read lmfao. I was so unwell back then
Welcome to the Fantasy Zone

Paw

Old internet is golden internet every suxs nowadays including grammar nazis

That and I miss YTPs

CoolDrMoney

I get nostalgic for how much shit I used to make

Now I just shit~
http://cooldrmoney.deviantart.com/

"Hmmm...."
by: SpeedyPac
date: December 1, 2007
Wade is not gay, read his profile! It's sad that you would use sexual orientation as a joke, shows that you have no real sense of humor.

rtil

one day cooldrmoney woke up and took a shit because hey he's cooldrmoney

cipher

somehow i found my way here on accident and wtf we're back?

hello everynyan, how are you?

fine thank you

rtil

Quote from: cipher on December 10, 2023 06:26 AMsomehow i found my way here on accident and wtf we're back?

hello everynyan, how are you?

fine thank you
we are so back
it is no longer so over