Uchouten Kazoku

Started by basketweaver, July 23, 2013 03:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

basketweaver

why should you watch this show? here are the reasons:

1. source material was written by the guy who wrote the Tatami Galaxy AKA greatest anime of all time

2. nice and stylish art with smooth animation

3. interesting dialog with pretty good writing (as of 3 episodes)

4. awesome character design

5. amazing atmosphere

6. best ED song this season: Uchouten Kazoku Ending (HD)



follow the wacky adventures of these crazy tanuki, a human, and a tengu





rtil

Quote from: basketweaver on July 23, 2013 03:35 AM
Tatami Galaxy
i'm already convinced

the animation looks great

this one definitely passed by me , thanks for pointing it out. although it'll be a few weeks until it makes it through my queue


naturally

oh wow this looks pretty

will watch

Bamyasi

Possibly my favorite show of the season thus far. The pilot is actually one of the main reasons I wanted to start the livestream thing.

I like pretty much everything about it [spoiler]except the OP.[/spoiler]

basketweaver

Quote from: Pizza Slutâ„¢ on July 27, 2013 01:10 PM
Possibly my favorite show of the season thus far. The pilot is actually one of the main reasons I wanted to start the livestream thing.

I like pretty much everything about it [spoiler]except the OP.[/spoiler]

lol, i thought that was alright, but i can see if it isn't to your taste. and oh man, this show is definitely AoTS. if this show is as consistent as it was in the first 3 episodes, then it will definitely be AoTY in terms of writing.

Bamyasi

Just compared to the ED and BGM. I couldn't really think of anything else I would consider a flaw.

Another quality episode today. I'll be streaming the pilot sometime this week, and more depending on interest.

basketweaver

Quote from: Pizza Slutâ„¢ on July 29, 2013 05:48 AM
Just compared to the ED and BGM. I couldn't really think of anything else I would consider a flaw.

Another quality episode today. I'll be streaming the pilot sometime this week, and more depending on interest.

yeah i think i agree with that. speaking of the BGM, i sure hope they release the OST soon

basketweaver

goddamn this show is good.

zwimmy

the ears and the noses REALLY bother me

rtil

i recently found out koji kumeta (zetsubou sensei author) did the character designs for this. now i have no excuses

iinnkk

I can't believe I didn't see this thread until now!! I'm waiting to watch the final episode on Crunchyroll on sunday so I can see it in nice quality.
It's my 2nd favorite summer anime for sure (ranking below SnK)
[spoiler]God that part when Yasaburo uses Benten's fan and rams right into the Friday Fellow's potluck spot made me laugh way too hard[/spoiler]



Bamyasi

Quote from: iinnkk on October  5, 2013 08:52 AM
I'm waiting to watch the final episode on Crunchyroll on sunday so I can see it in nice quality.
Nice sig.

Anyway yeah this show was great but [spoiler]I was kind of expecting it to go in a different direction towards the final episodes. The last few just didn't sting the same way the last arc of Tatami Galaxy did, though that could be due to a difference in directors rather than Morimi's original works. I understand filial responsibility and tradition were central themes, but it would have been nice to see some of the motifs teased at in the earlier episodes (gender bending, social reclusion, role of transformation, ect.) recur towards the end as well because I'm a baka gaijin. Benten was definitely the most interesting character, and while I think most of the cast was developed to a substantial degree, it would have been nice if something more had happened with her by the end. Oh well. I had the same problems with Kemonozume and Kaiba so perhaps Masayuki's next project will be more satisfying.[/spoiler]
Maybe I was just sad to see it go, like with the majority of the shows. I guess it's better to be left wanting more, though I'm open to someone (basketweaver) explaining what I missed and why I'm such an idiot. Still, it was definitely one of my favorite shows in a fantastic season, possibly one of my favorites of the year.

Bamyasi

I'm glad I wasn't the only one.

Maybe I just connected more with TTG from an outsider perspective. Definitely one of the main things I like about anime(/Japanese media in general) is that the writers usually don't try to force a grandiose ending in the name of satisfying the audience (name the last western show/film where you missed any of the characters after it was over). There's just a general feeling that life goes on whether you're watching or not, so in that regard I liked UK's ending. I can't remember how I felt after TTG finished airing. I just remember the last episode or two being the best. I should probably watch it again.

rtil

nope but it's in my queue. i'm watching steins;gate right now, i'll probably pick this up after i finish that. it will take me ~3 weeks to finish steins;gate.

basketweaver


Bamyasi

The OST was pretty swell. Particularly disc 2. These tracks stood out the most to me:
http://www.thebackalleys.com/dump/files/1530/244Uk7_Track%2012.mp3
http://www.thebackalleys.com/dump/files/1530/23Q8u_Track%2016.mp3
http://www.thebackalleys.com/dump/files/1530/15jW6_Track%2020.mp3
But yeah I'm not sure yet if I like it enough to import a copy.

Quote from: basketweaver on October 17, 2013 02:44 AM
i agree that an overly-dramatic ending isn't good if you're only doing it to force a sense of closure and placate the audience. but i think our tastes differ on the second point. i do think that an ending that makes an ambitious statement that reiterates the show's themes, tying it from back to end, is the mark of a well-written show. although i agree that the "life goes on" ending is different and perhaps refreshing, I don't think that lazy style of writing should be rewarded unless it's done well. i mean, how easy is it to just say "life goes on"? In many ways it's much more difficult to execute the dramatic ending. A conclusion is supposed to be conclusive.

I think TTG's ending was great because it drew the essence of the series into a few short and very dramatic scenes, and it revealed in a conclusive and satisfying way the main message of the show. The "life goes on" epilogue-ish part is icing on the cake, I think.
I guess what I meant is that I prefer an unsatisfying ending over a poorly executed/forced conclusion because the latter tends to imitate real life more accurately. It's probably more common in Japanese entertainment because of the way narrative structure has evolved there (See: jo-ha-kyu, kishotenketsu). Also I remember TTG's epilogue seeming unnecessary. I suppose this can only be settled with a duel to the death.

Also are you going to start a thread for Kyousogiga or do I have to?

rtil

just chiming in to say i've started this series. 2 episodes in so far

basketweaver

Quote from: rtil on November 28, 2013 03:46 AM
just chiming in to say i've started this series. 2 episodes in so far

nice  B) B) B) B)

rtil

well i finished it today. the last two or so episodes going into overdrive from climax to conclusion was very much in the spirit of TTG, which is one of my all time favorites. i have to admit though, up until the last 3 episodes i didn't care much for what was going on, and was wondering what everything was leading up to. the ending was pretty satisfying, and the last 30 or so minutes was really fun and hilarious to watch. getting there was not always the case, though, and so i'd give the series a 7/10 as a whole.

i think the coming-of-age nature of the Shimogamo and Ebisugawa brothers' stories was the best part of the series.. every other theme kinda came up short in the end or got dropped off at some point - except a little bit with the whole eating things you love stuff. We were briefly told about things like the past between Benten, Akadama and Yasaburou, and get a couple of very short flashbacks.. but i don't feel like we got to know about their past as much as we should have. so it was pretty hard to get a read on Benten. she's kind of a frustrating character because she doesn't seem to have a motive, and mourns things that she could easily avoid. maybe she does it on purpose but it's impossible to know. on the other hand Akadama was more blunt with his character, and i found his - for lack of a better word - tsundere attitude towards the tanuki charming in an old man sort of way. and i also loved his rampage at the end with the fan.

anyway, despite the slow build-up it was still a really unique and refreshing premise, and the world itself was an interesting one. i think they could have done a lot more with it but maybe it was just the right amount. my favorite moment was probably Yaijrou bursting out of the well, even though i saw it coming a mile away it looked exactly how i had pictured it in my head.

Bamyasi

rtil are you watching Kyousougiga? It does the familial theme like a million times better.