Long time no see, infact so long that most of the people here i used to talk too are gone and this place is full of new folk who dont know who i am... regardless, this is all irrelevant. What is relevant is that im trying to get back into film making, 2009 was not a good year for me, and my animation suffered... allot. Since i want to get back into it again i figured this was the place to come since, while not the most inspirational of places, at least people give you honest feed back here. I spent over a month writing my new short, titled "The Telescope", an animated short about the way children see the world. It hasn't got a complex plot, any real dialog, and no real action or anything fancy like that, its just a simple piece about the different ways people see the world. Im trying to make it the most visually impressive piece of my own to date, and i really want it to be a show piece for what i can do, hoping to get it into the film festival circuit. Anyways, ill be updating this thread with screens from the film and im hoping to get honest feed back from you guys. AND if i start to slack off spam my inbox to keep me motivated.
Hows everyone been?
I only wish I could get the sheer volume of freelance stuff you get. My load's like one to two small scale jobs a month.
Your art style is still as fucking cool as ever.
hey gerkinman good to see youre back
thats looking nice btw
QuoteI only wish I could get the sheer volume of freelance stuff you get. My load's like one to two small scale jobs a month.
Freelance is nice and all, but id much rather be doing this and getting paid for it. Im trying to get enough freelance to quit mu full time job but its just not happening, which sadly means that almost all my free time is absorbed. And this year is looking to be my biggest year yet...
Quotehey gerkinman good to see youre back
thats looking nice btw
Miss me gorgeous? ;D
Welcome back man
Nice backgrounds so far. It's interesting how you made the grass blue, the sky yellow, and the mountains pink haha. It this how the kid walking out the door sees the world like how you said the plot will be about? :]
what, no texture for the door ;(
QuoteNice backgrounds so far. It's interesting how you made the grass blue, the sky yellow, and the mountains pink haha. It this how the kid walking out the door sees the world like how you said the plot will be about? :]
Actually that just tends to be how i end up coloring my backgrounds ha ha. But it will certainly help push the idea.
Quotewhat, no texture for the door ;(
FBF textures don't look very good, trust me.
gerk i don't think i ever directly talked to you but i definitely remember you
welcome b@ck
Quote from: ropesnakewe dont draw anymore we just play tf2
lmfao so fuckin tru
OH MY GOD GERK IS BACK!!!!!!!!!! I MISSED YOU SO MUCH!!!!!! You art is still as flat as ever, but I love it!
oh you're fbf-ing the door, didnt know that
guess that's what i get for not readin the whole post :-\
Quote from: FuzzOH MY GOD GERK IS BACK!!!!!!!!!! I MISSED YOU SO MUCH!!!!!! You art is still as flat as ever, but I love it!
lmao
Quotewe dont draw anymore we just play tf2
Nobody can blame you for that.
Quotegerk i don't think i ever directly talked to you but i definitely remember you
welcome b@ck
Thanks... you =D
QuoteOH MY GOD GERK IS BACK!!!!!!!!!! I MISSED YOU SO MUCH!!!!!! You art is still as flat as ever, but I love it!
You guys can keep your fancy perspectives and neato construction, im too set in the ways of skillessness to turn back now, might as well take advantage of said lack of talent.
I have all tonight and tomorrow (Public holiday called "Australia Day"... so lame) to myself, so expect updates in the coming hours.
Quote from: ropesnakewe dont draw anymore we just play tf2
goikinmarn
(https://thebackalleys.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimg.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fv120%2Fgerkinman%2FTheTelescope_TheHand.png&hash=1edc82eba27021ba061770cd5dd30d6c8f269925)
(https://thebackalleys.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimg.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fv120%2Fgerkinman%2FTheTelescope_TheHand02.png&hash=fc20db6e4d674e14d5cb1f208931099a3bbe0c59)
Oh the Flatness.
How DO you make it so flat? Is it because you don't use any outlines?! HOW?!
Looks good btw
QuoteHow DO you make it so flat? Is it because you don't use any outlines?! HOW?!
You can see the logic behind how the shot is put together, you tell me :P
Bwaaa...?
It hurts my brain to try and figure it out... I try to put things in perspective, but then something doesn't match and my eyes start going in different directions!
QuoteIt hurts my brain to try and figure it out... I try to put things in perspective
Well theres your first mistake :P
lol :P
Haven't had a chance to touch the movie this week because of freelance, hope to get to this weekend, either that or a short social commentary piece based around Mass Effect 2.
its looking pretty nice and clean I like the coloring and character designs.
also about the "flatness" well I dont think it is necessarily a bad thing, specially in this case where it helps to sort of create the mood of your cartoon but most of the time that problem comes from the direction of your lines. see how the bricks in the house have a diagonal direction and then it sort of stops
And the door/stairs have lines in different directions as well. theres just way too many unparalell diagonal lines and theres nothing to suggest an actual form.
Not that it matters. again,it LOOKS like that mechanic can be possible in that cartoony universe and I can see the house/stuff clearly
But then again you prolly knew that already.
Yeh, i very rarely try to get all my line work to match up, everything tends to be a little... or very off kilter. Whether its a style choice, something i never really thought about or just pure laziness is debatable. Lines that do correlate with each other is something ill play with in a future cartoon.
I like to read Gerks posts cause when I do, I imagine his voice with his sexy accent reading it.
whenever i read fuzz's post i imagine the worlds biggest faggot reading it
:'(
I have feelings you know...
Finally something new to show, the title....
(https://thebackalleys.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimg.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fv120%2Fgerkinman%2FTheTelescope_title.png&hash=49828415467ad7cafad20c65574ca2dac10982bf)
Just added you to my favorites, you're style is arousing to say the least.
Quote from: MrScriblamwhenever i read fuzz's post i imagine the worlds biggest faggot reading it
whenever i read your posts i think of this guy im sorry
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rai9SiBRv50
fuck man my teeth are bigger than that dont tease
Quote from: J_SeedQuote from: MrScriblamwhenever i read fuzz's post i imagine the worlds biggest faggot reading it
whenever i read your posts i think of this guy im sorry
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rai9SiBRv50
i will never look a porn again, thank you
That guy has the most ridiculously cartoon-like lips and teeth ive seen on a youtube
What have you done to my thread D=>
i am sorry gerkinman if anyone makes an offtopic post after this i will delete it
Holy Jesus... He should have his own TV show.
Normally i wouldnt care but that kid seriously makes me want to kill people... slowly.
jseed honestly fuck you for posting that
and goik, i like the title slide
its a good title screen also are you doing anymore of those sprite cartoons you planned those were neat
Quoteits a good title screen also are you doing anymore of those sprite cartoons you planned those were neat
I was thinking of rebooting the whole project, i thought it was cool at the time but look back at it, its way to time consuming and ive lost the passion. It was a fun project for a while but ive sort of moved on. I was thinking about redoing it with really basic geometric character models but i doubt it will ever happen.
Also WIP
(https://thebackalleys.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimg.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fv120%2Fgerkinman%2FTheTelescope_run.png&hash=3a486d77b052d8fb860a4347ac7d4211ee64319d)
Gerkinman I suffer the same problem as you
why is it that whenever someone has a good idea theyre too lazy/the idea is too hard to bring to life??
Personally I would encourage you to finish this because its looking really cute and unique
but I aint no project finisher either nigga!
Quotewhy is it that whenever someone has a good idea theyre too lazy/the idea is too hard to bring to life??
Personally I would encourage you to finish this because its looking really cute and unique
but I aint no project finisher either nigga!
Its only Out There that im not finishing Eman, i havent touched it since this time last year. The Telescope however will be finished and released and all that jazz, this is supposed to be my by big break out into film fest film after all.
Finished the shot
(https://thebackalleys.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimg.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fv120%2Fgerkinman%2FTheTelescope_run_finished.png&hash=4e35576735aa77e3bf0ccb9c8c3b7cf64d48a955)
my, that looks nice!
very cool
cool trolling, bro
What what
(https://thebackalleys.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimg.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fv120%2Fgerkinman%2FTheTelescope_LookDown.png&hash=6579bd2b70df61abf5524fda6156f4a2d3cee427)
(https://thebackalleys.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimg.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fv120%2Fgerkinman%2FTheTelescope_LiftUp.png&hash=865de79307ec4f81fa5eb28cbc59eeef5c76170c)
looks good. only thing i could suggest is more contrast between the character and bg. maybe make the BG less saturated or darker (or vice versa your call)
Yeh, ive been struggling with that ever since i started animating this way, i suppose a darker hill set would make sense since the sun is behind them. Well ill be damned, im actually considering applying some level of logic...
Gerkinman!!! NOOOOO!!!! LENKO! Stop corrupting him!
Keep it up Gerkinman :]
I really like everything I'm seeing here~ I look forward to when it's complete!
Quote from: FuzzGerkinman!!! NOOOOO!!!! LENKO! Stop corrupting him!
fuzz what the fuck are you talking about
Quote from: HnilmikI really like everything I'm seeing here~ I look forward to when it's complete!
for the record every time i read one of your posts i imagine your avatar saying it in some kind of sly seduction voice
but yeah gerkinjam i like this new thing keep it up
Quote from: anigenQuote from: HnilmikI really like everything I'm seeing here~ I look forward to when it's complete!
for the record every time i read one of your posts i imagine your avatar saying it in some kind of sly seduction voice
(https://thebackalleys.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thebackalleys.com%2Fforum%2Fstyle_images%2F2%2Ffolder_post_icons%2Ficon8.gif&hash=38793013c8b424a629318abfa6b6587258045527)
(https://thebackalleys.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimg.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fv120%2Fgerkinman%2FTheTelescope_Skyline.png&hash=3502f58c9b26caf55ccf8056ab6b5816e837875b)
Quote from: MrScriblamQuote from: FuzzGerkinman!!! NOOOOO!!!! LENKO! Stop corrupting him!
fuzz what the fuck are you talking about
I'm talking bout Lenko trying to make Gerkinman use logic and perspective in his drawings, dick.
Quote from: FuzzQuote from: MrScriblamQuote from: FuzzGerkinman!!! NOOOOO!!!! LENKO! Stop corrupting him!
fuzz what the fuck are you talking about
I'm talking bout Lenko trying to make Gerkinman use logic and perspective in his drawings, dick.
Wow, i havent had anyone stand up for my work like that since i worked with Legendary Frawg
Quote from: FuzzQuote from: MrScriblamQuote from: FuzzGerkinman!!! NOOOOO!!!! LENKO! Stop corrupting him!
fuzz what the fuck are you talking about
I'm talking bout Lenko trying to make Gerkinman use logic and perspective in his drawings, dick.
because thats totally not what makes cartoons work is it fuzz
either way its coming along nicely gerk. im curious as to how this moves so you should post something animated soon i reckon
Quoteeither way its coming along nicely gerk. im curious as to how this moves so you should post something animated soon i reckon
ask and you shall recieve
(https://thebackalleys.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimg.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fv120%2Fgerkinman%2FTheTelescope_Glee.png&hash=176023637bc48d85829ffd4e9fdbe86397347c2b)
:>
Quote from: lenkabiscaQuote from: FuzzQuote from: MrScriblamQuote from: FuzzGerkinman!!! NOOOOO!!!! LENKO! Stop corrupting him!
fuzz what the fuck are you talking about
I'm talking bout Lenko trying to make Gerkinman use logic and perspective in his drawings, dick.
because thats totally not what makes cartoons work is it fuzz
either way its coming along nicely gerk. im curious as to how this moves so you should post something animated soon i reckon
You just don't understand...
all he said was add more contrast between background and foreground so that they dont always compete with each other. i dont really see how that is a "corruption" but ok
Quote from: GerkinmanYeh, ive been struggling with that ever since i started animating this way, i suppose a darker hill set would make sense since the sun is behind them. Well ill be damned, im actually considering applying some level of logic...
Right there is the corruption.
Quote from: GerkinmanWow, i havent had anyone stand up for my work like that since i worked with Legendary Frawg
lmao oh god WAY BACK WHEN
Quote from: FuzzQuote from: GerkinmanYeh, ive been struggling with that ever since i started animating this way, i suppose a darker hill set would make sense since the sun is behind them. Well ill be damned, im actually considering applying some level of logic...
Right there is the corruption.
ur gay!
Quote from: shuraQuote from: Fuzz
im gay
ur gay!
Quote from: tosQuote from: shuraQuote from: Fuzz
im gay
ur gay!
Sticks and stones guys... Sticks and stones.
Quote from: FuzzQuote from: tosQuote from: shuraQuote from: Fuzz
im gay
ur gay!
im really gay
Stop ruining Gerks thread.
(https://thebackalleys.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thebackalleys.com%2Fok%2Fpublic%2F71bN2_diego.JPG&hash=5c87c14286a6998805fc52ea19373b978dc17d30)
very nice stuff gerk lookin forward to it
Here are some unrelated live action films ive done in the last couple of months.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7OLPWkCO2Ao&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7OLPWkCO2Ao&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lC-51WTEViI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lC-51WTEViI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
I like doing time lapse =B
the flora and fauna of australia
Okay, 2 new screens.
(https://thebackalleys.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimg.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fv120%2Fgerkinman%2FTheTelescope_Peak.png&hash=97d38d4c13ce8f250ddca3c9bc23bc6cdab0a239)
(https://thebackalleys.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimg.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fv120%2Fgerkinman%2FTheTelescope_ISeeYou.png&hash=46a7a11f621118d7918f8fecd9e7110b0bd622b9)
And heres an animatic shot, gives you an idea of how i work. Whats more important is that i need to populate 3 of these street scenes. If you want a character of your own in the scene just post a link or whatever. Subtle cameos can be fun i find.
(https://thebackalleys.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimg.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fv120%2Fgerkinman%2FTheTelescope_SB_Streets.png&hash=e499cceddfadf4ce92906a5a1db2e95c333f63dc)
ok why not
http://i47.tinypic.com/r9iij4.png (http://i47.tinypic.com/r9iij4.png)
Likewise.
http://i48.tinypic.com/x29a87.png (http://i48.tinypic.com/x29a87.png)
http://i47.tinypic.com/2n6cjue.jpg (http://i47.tinypic.com/2n6cjue.jpg)
Brb, failing at having a proper character to use.
gerkinman today in school someone in the front row of the classroom was watching one of your Asparragus cartoons lmao
Im going away for a holiday in the islands for a week, so i wont be posting for like 7 days
you say you wanted cameos for your street shot
(https://thebackalleys.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Ffc01.deviantart.net%2Ffs70%2Ff%2F2010%2F030%2Fa%2F3%2Fsky_trio_by_lenkobiscuit.png&hash=cab8f5cbbef781a43250d543d026819c987f9641)
do any of these three if you want
This one scene is taking forever to do...
lmao @ zeke
For some reason Zekey always makes it into my toons, hes just so fun to draw
XD I love how surprised Lenko's character is.
Got distracted, my new website is up, as a beta atleast, check it out.
Visitors From Dreams (http://www.visitorsfromdreams.com)
Looks nice. I like the detailed animated backgrounds for each choice.
I absolutely love the animated backgrounds for each choice too~ You know how you get disappointed when you see a bunch of blank "coming soon" pages? I like how what you've got going makes me look forward to what you got and want to see more!
it's a well designed site. the theme of it doesn't seem to fit in your style at all. at first glance i'd have no idea it was an animator and illustrator's portfolio.
this is very slick, i like how the site BG changes for each segment without being too distracting
The actual aesthetics ie. buttons and the scrolling message at the top kinda remind me more of a programmer's portfolio though. It's quite 'serious' in contrast to what your stuff is all about. i think rtil mentiond this too
And here is a poster i was commissioned to do for an Australian Independent Comic Convention.
(https://thebackalleys.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimg.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fv120%2Fgerkinman%2FDoujicon_Final.png&hash=e238be2387fdd2816970ad5233e185be2ad9398a)
QuoteI absolutely love the animated backgrounds for each choice too~ You know how you get disappointed when you see a bunch of blank "coming soon" pages? I like how what you've got going makes me look forward to what you got and want to see more!
The additional pages are taking quite a while to get up and running, i want to make sure they are awesome.
Quoteit's a well designed site. the theme of it doesn't seem to fit in your style at all. at first glance i'd have no idea it was an animator and illustrator's portfolio.
This is mainly because my money comes from corporate animation work, i want my website to try to balance that idea with my cartooning. I wont really know how well it works for a while i suppose.
i like your site gerk
also use aim more often
Gerkinman I love your website!!!1shift1
cool poster
also your website looks great
i like it
no offense gerkinman but uhh
am i the only one who thinks flash websites are totally gay and almost always look stupid?
this one is well made but it's a flash site after all, i don't really like those.
(https://thebackalleys.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimg.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fv120%2Fgerkinman%2FTheTelescope_Shock.jpg&hash=1300183cb771494f150eded1939d7b51163b0ace)
(https://thebackalleys.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimg.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fv120%2Fgerkinman%2FPilla.png&hash=ac7b8d90fd1b993d523c026f72c9b1d0614d9905)
(https://thebackalleys.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimg.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fv120%2Fgerkinman%2FJumpForJoy.png&hash=a915331ca64e498ce10eb32b4a2c9759441c597d)
(https://thebackalleys.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimg.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fv120%2Fgerkinman%2FWelcomeEveryone.png&hash=24b141f4769f11f55b22801a4539c9d20eb4b212)
Haha that last panel, geez
Such a colorful world Gerkinman :]
QuoteHaha that last panel, geez
Such a colorful world Gerkinman :]
All the colors of the homo rainbow, all the colors from black to yellow.
Such gay happy colors~<3
The happy jumping is adorable! Keep up the good work!
sad to be all alone in da wold..........
Had tonnes of freelance on lately and haven't had a chance to touch much of my own personal work, so i decided to put together a showreel to try to get more work so i have an even harder time getting around to working on my own toons, since my toons dont pay the bills. Youll understand when your renting a place and trying to make ends meet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hMO5VeGYsmk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hMO5VeGYsmk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Least you get to see The Telescope in action, im really happy with how its coming along, visually at least, not so happy about the time its taking me.
The laser-shooting caterpillar is definitely my favorite part
QuoteThe laser-shooting caterpillar is definitely my favorite part
Im really happy with how that came out.