thebackalleys

Main => General => Topic started by: LordZeebmork on April 4, 2009 05:33 PM

Title: I switched from ff3 to opera
Post by: LordZeebmork on April 4, 2009 05:33 PM
holy shit osx doesn't run at 5fps anymore
Title: I switched from ff3 to opera
Post by: GenTrigger on April 4, 2009 06:13 PM
Do tell me sir of the benefits of this Opera
Title: I switched from ff3 to opera
Post by: rtil on April 4, 2009 08:08 PM
are you running 9.6 or 10 beta
Title: I switched from ff3 to opera
Post by: Daveb0t on April 4, 2009 11:50 PM
I use proxy only on opera, so it kind of balances out to dial up speed
Title: I switched from ff3 to opera
Post by: LordZeebmork on April 5, 2009 12:08 AM
Quote from: rtilare you running 9.6 or 10 beta
9.6
Title: I switched from ff3 to opera
Post by: rtil on April 5, 2009 12:24 PM
ok good

10 still needs some quirks fixed

but it is gonna be the first browser released to the public that got 100% on the acid3 test
Title: I switched from ff3 to opera
Post by: Animegamer on April 5, 2009 04:48 PM
opera is awesome
Title: I switched from ff3 to opera
Post by: GRINACE on April 5, 2009 11:52 PM
Quote from: Animegameropera is awesome
Title: I switched from ff3 to opera
Post by: rtil on April 6, 2009 01:48 AM
more importantly my site looks the way it's supposed to in opera

to be fair it does in firefox too but still f u firefox
Title: I switched from ff3 to opera
Post by: mishkamash on April 6, 2009 07:30 PM
i switched to opera
so far so good
plus it has the zoom function like a normal browser should have
Title: I switched from ff3 to opera
Post by: RobHalford on April 6, 2009 07:34 PM
Quote from: rtilmore importantly my site looks the way it's supposed to in opera

to be fair it does in firefox too but still f u firefox

f u ie6
Title: I switched from ff3 to opera
Post by: rtil on April 6, 2009 08:34 PM
ie6 more like worst browser in history
Title: I switched from ff3 to opera
Post by: RobHalford on April 6, 2009 08:36 PM
Quote from: rtilie6 more like worst browser in history

That was my point.
Title: I switched from ff3 to opera
Post by: SHADOWFOX2 on April 6, 2009 08:48 PM
I've upgraded to IE8 but if people keep telling me it sucks over an extended period of time, I might switch...
Title: I switched from ff3 to opera
Post by: Flash on April 6, 2009 08:51 PM
Quote from: SHADOWFOX2I've upgraded to IE8 but if people keep telling me it sucks over an extended period of time, I might switch...

it sucks
Title: I switched from ff3 to opera
Post by: mishkamash on April 6, 2009 08:56 PM
it sucks
Title: I switched from ff3 to opera
Post by: DrRumack on April 6, 2009 08:57 PM
i cant go to dA on opera













big whoop
Title: I switched from ff3 to opera
Post by: rtil on April 6, 2009 10:57 PM
that's strange, i go to da on opera all the time
Title: I switched from ff3 to opera
Post by: DrRumack on April 7, 2009 03:52 AM
everytime i try it crashes
Title: I switched from ff3 to opera
Post by: ansel on April 7, 2009 03:53 AM
Quote from: SHADOWFOX2I've upgraded to IE8 but if people keep telling me it sucks over an extended period of time, I might switch...

Internet explorer is the shittiest browser I've ever used, Microsoft should be ashamed

on second thought, they probably are
Title: I switched from ff3 to opera
Post by: rtil on April 7, 2009 04:01 AM
8 is a huge step up from 7. but it's still bad
Title: I switched from ff3 to opera
Post by: Greenkitten on April 7, 2009 08:43 AM
IE isn't too bad, at least it can access the internet.
Title: I switched from ff3 to opera
Post by: ansel on April 7, 2009 12:16 PM
Quote from: MagyarIE isn't too bad, at least it can access the internet.

Title: I switched from ff3 to opera
Post by: Daveb0t on April 7, 2009 02:16 PM
Quote from: MagyarIE isn\\\'t too bad, at least it can access the internet.
lma

hey zeeb make a massvote toolbar for opera and I\\\'ll do the switch too
Title: I switched from ff3 to opera
Post by: LordZeebmork on April 7, 2009 03:59 PM
lma
Title: I switched from ff3 to opera
Post by: Animegamer on April 9, 2009 11:15 PM
i heard alot of people have been having problems with firefox 3 lately
Title: I switched from ff3 to opera
Post by: ansel on April 10, 2009 12:09 AM
Quote from: Animegameri heard alot of people have been having problems with firefox 3 lately

I haven't.
Title: I switched from ff3 to opera
Post by: Fuzz on April 10, 2009 04:47 AM
Quote from: ansel
Quote from: Animegameri heard alot of people have been having problems with firefox 3 lately

I haven't.
I have. It's been pissing me off. But I can't access my virtual college classes in Opera and I refuse to use IE.
Title: I switched from ff3 to opera
Post by: rtil on April 10, 2009 06:14 AM
Quote from: Fuzz
Quote from: ansel
Quote from: Animegameri heard alot of people have been having problems with firefox 3 lately

I haven't.
I have. It's been pissing me off. But I can't access my virtual college classes in Opera and I refuse to use IE.
good alternative browsers have the option to mask themselves as other browsers, forcing those sites to attempt to render. it works by spoofing header information.

to do it in opera, right click anywhere on the site you want to trick, click "edit site preferences", go to the Network tab and change the browser identification to whatever you need.

you may be able to access your college classes this way
Title: I switched from ff3 to opera
Post by: Fuzz on April 10, 2009 07:29 AM
Quote from: rtil
Quote from: Fuzz
Quote from: ansel
Quote from: Animegameri heard alot of people have been having problems with firefox 3 lately

I haven't.
I have. It's been pissing me off. But I can't access my virtual college classes in Opera and I refuse to use IE.
good alternative browsers have the option to mask themselves as other browsers, forcing those sites to attempt to render. it works by spoofing header information.

to do it in opera, right click anywhere on the site you want to trick, click "edit site preferences", go to the Network tab and change the browser identification to whatever you need.

you may be able to access your college classes this way

Nope... Damn. O well. No biggie.
Title: I switched from ff3 to opera
Post by: LordZeebmork on April 10, 2009 05:35 PM
of course now I have to have two browsers open because opera breaks facebook and safari breaks everything but facebook
Title: I switched from ff3 to opera
Post by: rtil on April 10, 2009 06:12 PM
facebook works in opera for me, but you should try the browser masking thing . then again all browsers perform differently on macs, usually worse
Title: I switched from ff3 to opera
Post by: W.A.C. on April 10, 2009 08:25 PM
Quote from: rtilie6 more like worst browser in history
I could never figure out why it took Microsoft so long to create IE7. IE6's dominance was so hurtful to the PNG file format. >_<

Quote from: rtil8 is a huge step up from 7. but it's still bad
Good to hear IE8 is a major upgrade. Maybe I can actually get that stupid browser to install on my computer. >_> I could never get IE7 to install because I refuse to disable my firewall for a web browser installation. :/ Does anyone here have any idea why Microsoft requires people to disable their firewalls just to install their shitty browser?
Title: I switched from ff3 to opera
Post by: SHADOWFOX2 on April 11, 2009 08:29 PM
I didn't need to take down anything for IE7 or 8. Just asked me to close out IE before it did the upgrade.
I'm really impressed with 8 'cause it hasn't crashed at all like IE7 used to on a daily basis
Maybe I shouldn't be so impressed 'cause it shouldnt've been crashing like that in the first place.
Title: I switched from ff3 to opera
Post by: rtil on April 11, 2009 10:54 PM
i'm impressed with 8 because it has huge leaps in w3c compliance from 7, making life as a web designer a little easier
Title: I switched from ff3 to opera
Post by: rtil on April 12, 2009 01:24 AM
on a side note i noticed with opera's adblocking features it skips ads on most video sites like hulu and colbert nation
Title: I switched from ff3 to opera
Post by: RobHalford on April 12, 2009 01:34 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid3 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid3)

IE 7

(https://thebackalleys.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fupload.wikimedia.org%2Fwikipedia%2Fcommons%2Fthumb%2Fe%2Fe9%2FAcid3_ie7.png%2F800px-Acid3_ie7.png&hash=521d7c526dcf2b9c7a55a5484ac19289b21e481b)

IE 8

(https://thebackalleys.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fupload.wikimedia.org%2Fwikipedia%2Fcommons%2Fthumb%2Fe%2Fe8%2FAcid3ie8rc1.png%2F750px-Acid3ie8rc1.png&hash=31aa187b371a3e74ffd231f7af03730e1f800427)

Firefox 3.6

(https://thebackalleys.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fupload.wikimedia.org%2Fwikipedia%2Fcommons%2F7%2F72%2FFx_Acid3.png&hash=4639b9cc6171cfc2637940b528a8b0e842768fe5)

Opera 10

(https://thebackalleys.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fupload.wikimedia.org%2Fwikipedia%2Fcommons%2F7%2F79%2FAcid3-Opera-10.0.Alpha1.png&hash=d626d73e74182967f41437bb89b07e5ac02bfa6f)

Title: I switched from ff3 to opera
Post by: rtil on April 12, 2009 06:07 AM
Quote from: Rob Halfordhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid3 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid3)

IE 7

(https://thebackalleys.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fupload.wikimedia.org%2Fwikipedia%2Fcommons%2Fthumb%2Fe%2Fe9%2FAcid3_ie7.png%2F800px-Acid3_ie7.png&hash=521d7c526dcf2b9c7a55a5484ac19289b21e481b)

IE 8

(https://thebackalleys.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fupload.wikimedia.org%2Fwikipedia%2Fcommons%2Fthumb%2Fe%2Fe8%2FAcid3ie8rc1.png%2F750px-Acid3ie8rc1.png&hash=31aa187b371a3e74ffd231f7af03730e1f800427)
gotta hand it to 'em, it's a big improvement

that and IE8 actually passes acid2 perfectly

now they have the monumental task of porting all their IE6+7 users to 8

the one thing IE has always lacked is a notification of a new version
Title: I switched from ff3 to opera
Post by: RobHalford on April 12, 2009 06:11 AM
Visually, it's a big difference. Unfortunately for Microsoft, the score is virtually the same, and it lags extremely far behind the competition on that test in particular.
Title: I switched from ff3 to opera
Post by: jjjjjjjjjj on April 12, 2009 06:11 AM
Opera keeps crashing on me but it doesnt delete all my fucking bookmarks and passwords like firefox
Title: I switched from ff3 to opera
Post by: Michelle on April 12, 2009 06:21 AM
^ it crashes on me too, sometimes i'll just scroll a window and then it'll screw up out of nowhere

it probably has something to do with my computer being trash, but other than that opera's literally the best browser i've tried out
Title: I switched from ff3 to opera
Post by: rtil on April 12, 2009 06:24 AM
Quote from: Rob HalfordVisually, it\\\'s a big difference. Unfortunately for Microsoft, the score is virtually the same, and it lags extremely far behind the competition on that test in particular.


the IE dev team could probably care less, buuuuut as younger people get online and start using browsers other than IE they\\\'re going to have to give them a reason to switch back

ff passed ie usage in europe for the first time this week http://gs.statcounter.com/#browser-eu-dail...080701-20090412 (http://gs.statcounter.com/#browser-eu-daily-20080701-20090412)
Title: I switched from ff3 to opera
Post by: Flash on April 12, 2009 06:43 PM
I tried opera once but the interface sucked shit and it didn't let me import my stuff from firefox and when I ctrl-clicked a link it wouldn't let me open a "background tab"
Title: I switched from ff3 to opera
Post by: rtil on April 13, 2009 03:19 AM
the interface works exactly like all other tabbed browsers except it's not ugly and has practical functionality

if you can't figure out how to import your firefox settings you're retarded

aaaaaaaaaand opera uses shift for tabs but can be easily changed in the preferences

you dumb

idiot
Title: I switched from ff3 to opera
Post by: Flash on April 13, 2009 04:30 PM
you're confusing opera with drama
geez you don't have to make a soap opera out of this
the browser just doesn't seem easy to operate
... I ran out of puns

Quote from: rtilthe interface works exactly like all other tabbed browsers except it's not ugly and has practical functionality

sure I took it up a notch but I'm familiarized with firefox and it's perfectly clean & practical for me

Quoteif you can't figure out how to import your firefox settings you're retarded
I admit I don't have a clue on how to import my bookmarks & cookies when your installation screen is just dragging the opera logo into an applications folder
plus I searched the opera help things and didn't find that there either

Quoteaaaaaaaaaand opera uses shift for tabs but can be easily changed in the preferences

opera uses "command" to open a new tab but it brings you to that tab automatically and that's what I was talking about, I just figured I'd say control because command and control are pretty much the same for mac and windows respectively.
Title: I switched from ff3 to opera
Post by: rtil on April 13, 2009 08:30 PM
ctrl+shift opens a tab in the background, shift takes you to the new tab
Title: I switched from ff3 to opera
Post by: Mushroomboy5 on April 13, 2009 10:24 PM
I love Opera, but Vista hates it. I can't fullscreen anything like youtube, I can't open up PDFs in the browser, and I can't send e-mail from my school account.



Title: I switched from ff3 to opera
Post by: Hammi on April 13, 2009 10:54 PM
opera becomes often non responsive to me, and i get easily annoyed by that

also i like the search find feature better in ff than in opera

it wouldve been easier if opera had an auto import feature to import other browser settings yes, but then again its not that really hard cause you just need to export your settings into a new html file from that browser youre replacing... but still

as for a bookmark toolbar, you will have to manually add that in opera by activating "personal bar"

thats all the complaints i got so far