thebackalleys

Main => General => Topic started by: Sonni on October 16, 2008 09:12 AM

Title: Setting up Capture station
Post by: Sonni on October 16, 2008 09:12 AM
I realized that if I were to scan each pencil page one at a time it's probably going to take forever. So I wonder how you could set up a "capture" station besides using scanner.
Title: Setting up Capture station
Post by: rtil on October 16, 2008 09:54 PM
at the very least you'll need a copy stand (http://www.digicelinc.com/copystands.htm) and proper capturing software (http://www.digicelinc.com/flipbook.htm). how it works is the software responds to a command such as hitting the spacebar. then it will take a picture of whatever's on camera. take the next page off, hit spacebar, continue. timing can be edited very easily, etc.

of course, i also recommend pegs/peg hole punchers and a lightboard to improve the consistency of your cels.
Title: Setting up Capture station
Post by: Sonni on October 17, 2008 02:39 AM
Alright I'll try to do what I can do. I don't think I'll need a whole lot of proper equipment to get the best quality since I just want to transfer the pencil sketch so that it will be "inked and painted" in flash. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion.
Title: Setting up Capture station
Post by: sQueef on October 17, 2008 05:06 AM
that seems like a horrendously overly long way of doing things but hey dont let me stop you
Title: Setting up Capture station
Post by: rtil on October 17, 2008 05:51 PM
it's actually the cheapest and easiest way of properly capturing animation cels
Title: Setting up Capture station
Post by: sQueef on October 17, 2008 06:22 PM
what, doing everything traditionally, and then ruining the experience of it by re-doing in in flash when you could have just done it in flash first and skipped all of that?

because I have done traditional animation before if you are trying to explain to me what the experience is like
Title: Setting up Capture station
Post by: rtil on October 17, 2008 06:27 PM
i thought you meant getting a capturing station was a horrendously overlong way of capturing traditional cels
Title: Setting up Capture station
Post by: Sonni on October 17, 2008 07:06 PM
I did a rough calculation that if I were to animate on paper first and then transfer to the flash. It would take at least 10 months to finish the whole thing so I uh, going to change plan a bit.

I'll just draw the main poses with pencil and do the rest with tablet. That should be much more practical.

And yeah, the reason I was going to draw on paper first is because I don't have stuff like 6x8 intuos and drawing with pencil gets the right shape much quicker.