thebackalleys

Main => General => Topic started by: Scotsman on September 30, 2006 11:26 PM

Title: the wii
Post by: Scotsman on September 30, 2006 11:26 PM
So although I hated the whole idea at first I have chosen the wii as the only system of next gen consoles to buy.  Do i have any supporters out there or is the general contempt for the system applied even here?
Title: the wii
Post by: Irishman on September 30, 2006 11:51 PM
Buy whatever you want; I'll just mooch off of you. Though the Wii does look like it will be fun.
Title: the wii
Post by: rtil on October 1, 2006 03:25 AM
If I bought consoles I would go do just that, but I don't . I imagine I'll be playing your wii in due time, heh.
Title: the wii
Post by: kam on October 1, 2006 03:25 AM
I'm going for the Wii, though I don't know how soon I can get it after its released.
Title: the wii
Post by: Scotsman on October 1, 2006 05:36 AM
I am buying it at launch.  I have nothing else I spend my money on right now so I am good.
Title: the wii
Post by: Slick on October 1, 2006 11:46 AM
The Wii is probably the best choice in the next gen line up. Xbox 360 doesn't seem to be too inviting apart from the Live Arcade. And PS3 just seems like it's going to be a really expensive entertainment centre. I most probably will eventually get a PS3, but a few years from now when the prices aren't as astronomical (sp?) as they are now.
Title: the wii
Post by: T-Bones on October 1, 2006 03:07 PM
the only thing good about the wii is the name my cosin works as the manager of the wii and he even said it sucks
Title: the wii
Post by: Scotsman on October 1, 2006 04:36 PM
Did he give any reasons why it sucked?  Cause all I have to go on right now is Penny Arcade whose opinion I have in high regard and they really enjoyed it.  By the way what is your cousins name?  I have been going through all the interviews with the entire wii team and I haven't seen anyone besides an asian who loves it.
Title: the wii
Post by: T-Bones on October 1, 2006 07:57 PM
i forget his name. all i no that hes a manager
Title: the wii
Post by: T-Bones on October 1, 2006 09:40 PM
lol kool
Title: the wii
Post by: Scotsman on October 1, 2006 09:43 PM
I am getting it for a few things.  Top priority is zelda, but there is also a fire emblem supposed to come out in december for it.
Title: the wii
Post by: T-Bones on October 1, 2006 09:45 PM
dose the wii play music too i forget
Title: the wii
Post by: Scotsman on October 1, 2006 11:43 PM
I don't know about music, but the option everyone loves is that you can download and play nes, snes, and sega genesis games on it.
Title: the wii
Post by: Irishman on October 2, 2006 12:01 AM
That is quite possibly the best idea ever.
Title: the wii
Post by: rtil on October 2, 2006 04:47 AM
Quote from: T-Bonesdose the wii play music too i forget
it should .. i mean early models like the dreamcast even played music.
Title: the wii
Post by: T-Bones on October 2, 2006 11:21 PM
there should be a portable devise that plays music, games, internet, gps, tv, calls to ppl, and has a switch blade. (for those bad places)     lol
Title: the wii
Post by: Irishman on October 3, 2006 01:38 AM
Go to Korea. I'm sure you'll find a phone like that over there. The phones here can almost do that sort of stuff. I know that the police can locate you using your cellphone by triangulation using the delay between two cell towers recieving your signal. So that's kind of like GPS, and I'm sure there are phones equiped with it. Cell phones are continually becoming more and more like computers.
Title: the wii
Post by: Elite_Insane on October 3, 2006 04:20 AM
You people are fucking horrible.
Title: the wii
Post by: Irishman on October 3, 2006 06:56 PM
Quote from: Elite_InsaneYou people are fucking horrible.
What the hell?
Title: the wii
Post by: kam on October 3, 2006 07:27 PM
Well that was weird. . .
Title: the wii
Post by: Albrtd3 on October 3, 2006 07:57 PM
Can't you guys see?! He's a man on edge!
Title: the wii
Post by: Scotsman on October 4, 2006 06:51 AM
no he's not.  he is just someone disturbing others.  anyway, back to the wii.  has anyone looked at the yakuza game for it called Red Steel?  The fact that you use the remote to swing a sword looks very entertaining.
Title: the wii
Post by: Albrtd3 on October 4, 2006 01:41 PM
For some odd reason I see some unstable kid accidentally wack anyone that walks near to him, not expecting him to swing a controller for some random reason.
Title: the wii
Post by: T-Bones on October 5, 2006 12:47 AM
lol
Title: the wii
Post by: Irishman on October 5, 2006 12:51 AM
It's interesting that when people first start playing their natual tendency is to tilt and jostle the controler trying to get the game to do what they want. Suddenly those instincts are completely valid.
Title: the wii
Post by: T-Bones on October 9, 2006 01:27 PM
true
Title: the wii
Post by: rtil on October 9, 2006 05:19 PM
Quote from: IrishmanIt's interesting that when people first start playing their natual tendency is to tilt and jostle the controler trying to get the game to do what they want. Suddenly those instincts are completely valid.
Yes, that will add so much to gameplay. To make people get up and do what they feel like they need to do to move around. Although I can't imagine how appealing that will be at maybe 3 in the morning or in a small space , it's not like you'll be able to fly around with a remote control in every location at every time. I think a smart wii user would have both a remote and standard control depending on the situation.
Title: the wii
Post by: darkz13 on November 21, 2006 06:06 AM
exactly

i find that the x-box controler was the best
Title: the wii
Post by: Dagolith on November 21, 2006 07:11 AM
those new controlers look realy stupid, it's just a good thing they have other (normal) controllers for it, but all the games i've seen for it look kinda lame, video bowling, video tennis, video baseball, golf, it looks like all those games that never realy took off, got a second chance. but i'm sure theres more games possably better. hopefully.
Title: the wii
Post by: rtil on November 21, 2006 10:09 AM
so far everyone is telling me how much fun the wii is, and i don't know anyone who bought a ps3. lmao
Title: the wii
Post by: Bogswallop on November 21, 2006 01:51 PM
Never had a go on the Wii yet, but it's definately the next console I'm gonna buy, for Smash Bros Brawl and Sonic alone.
Title: the wii
Post by: darkz13 on December 1, 2006 04:02 AM
im getting the wii this sunday
Title: the wii
Post by: rtil on December 1, 2006 06:27 AM
Quote from: BogswallopNever had a go on the Wii yet, but it's definately the next console I'm gonna buy, for Smash Bros Brawl and Sonic alone.
yeah that new sonic game looks amazing

and by amazing i mean sonic doesn't look like he's made of plastic anymore
Title: the wii
Post by: T-Bones on December 3, 2006 04:35 PM
that sonic game ant that good i got the demo for it is bad
Title: the wii
Post by: darkz13 on December 4, 2006 04:50 AM
i got my wii!!!                  
Title: the wii
Post by: billy on February 27, 2008 09:51 AM
I got a wii and after using it for a month I never touched it again
Title: the wii
Post by: Crabarms on February 27, 2008 10:11 AM
Could be used for a nice paper weight.
Title: the wii
Post by: Gerkinman on February 27, 2008 10:27 AM
I got mine at launch, only really played mario galaxy, but yeh, since my 360 red ringed on me ive been hitting the metroid prime and lovin it.
Title: the wii
Post by: psi43 on February 27, 2008 02:15 PM
Quote from: rtil
Quote from: T-Bonesdose the wii play music too i forget
it should .. i mean early models like the dreamcast even played music.


I haven\\\'t tried music but I think it doesn\\\'t. It doesn\\\'t play DVD\\\'s either but for a very good reason. Pretty much EVERYONE has either a DVD-Player/Recorder or a DVD drive in his computer. The Wii would be about 40$ more expensive if they built in that DVD feature so it\\\'s ok I guess. I have a DVD drive, recorder and player, too, so I don\\\'t really need the Wii to play that stuff.

And seriously who would listen to music on the Wii.
Title: the wii
Post by: zomfgbie on February 27, 2008 02:25 PM
there you go t-bones, it took us 4 months but we found out for you
Title: the wii
Post by: fish on February 27, 2008 02:39 PM
Nintendo tells me to jump, I jump.
I've been buying their system and products only ever since I started my gaming days.
... and I have yet to really be disappointed.
Title: the wii
Post by: rtil on February 27, 2008 04:58 PM
BUT SMASH BROTHERS BRAWL DOESNT' HAVE MEGAMAN IN IT!!!!!!!!!!!! WE SHOULD STORM THE GATES AND HOLD THEM HOSTAGE UNTIL THEY SUCCUMB TO OUR DEMANDS
Title: the wii
Post by: Philip K Dick on February 27, 2008 05:39 PM
fuck gamefaqs
Title: the wii
Post by: Necronomitr0n on February 27, 2008 06:06 PM
Quote from: rtilBUT SMASH BROTHERS BRAWL DOESNT' HAVE MEGAMAN IN IT!!!!!!!!!!!! WE SHOULD STORM THE GATES AND HOLD THEM HOSTAGE UNTIL THEY SUCCUMB TO OUR DEMANDS
I KNOW D00D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND THEY HAVEN'T EVEN CONSIDERED ADDING ANY FINAL FANTASY CHARACTERS!!!11!!!!!!!1!!!11!!!111

also incase you haven't noticed  is the new  thnk u
Title: the wii
Post by: rtil on February 27, 2008 07:13 PM
yeah and squeef got a thang for the snow miser
Title: the wii
Post by: mishkamash on February 27, 2008 07:15 PM
thing thing for the lion king

i still listen to that btw
Title: the wii
Post by: topcatyo on February 27, 2008 08:24 PM
Gotta admit, not a big fan of the Wii.  I gave it a shot, but I couldn't get into.  Guess it's not my niche.
I have played my friends PS3 and I enjoyed it quite a bit.  The 360 was pretty fun too, but once I eventually buy a next-gen system I'll probably get a PS3 first.
Title: the wii
Post by: rtil on February 27, 2008 08:47 PM
chad warden bought a ps triple
Title: the wii
Post by: Neoworms on February 27, 2008 09:01 PM
i rly thing tht w0rm#7 shud b in ssbb cuz hez alweyz bean mai faivtouit
Title: the wii
Post by: MRat on February 27, 2008 09:08 PM
I've played all three next gen systems, and they all have their pros and cons, but I found PS3 to have the most cons and the fewest pros. The controller design for one is awkward for me. Dual analog is great sure, but when they're both at the bottom like that it messes with my thumbs. I know this is the same design as PS has always had, but I wish they'd change it.


Also, there are maybe 3 PS3 games I like, and one more on the way. I like Folklore, I like Motorstorm and I like the latest Ratchet and Clank. I'm looking forward to Haze, and that's seriously it.




I love the Wii because it's games are multigenre style deals with the focus on creativity and being clever, not exploiting the same cliche's forced out over and over in genre titles, like Halo or Metal Gear.


I mean, Mario and Legend of Zelda hasn't changed in nearly a decade, and each new title is still more creative than anything Halo or Metal Gear has ever done. The art direction actually acknowledges art, instead of shinyness, and the gameplay shifts as the game moves along, instead of being the same strict stuff all the way through.

That's not to say Halo doesn't have it benefits. It was the first large scale FPS to really incorporate maps that were all different than each other. Prior to it most games were corridors or wide open spaces that never reflected any plausible sort of terrain. The exception would be the first TimeSplitters, but that game got completely ignore because it innovated everything, and people hate change. The TimeSplitters seres the best FPS work ever done. Period.


Metal Gear too pushed some boundries. It made stealth gameplay popular, but the concept had been done before, just not in a way the audience would latch on to.




Anyway, this is a matter of taste, and I just like games that don't do the same shit everytime, and are more wacky and offbeat I guess.

Also I like the Wii controller, I haven't enjoyed a gamepad since I got my Wii.
Title: the wii
Post by: fish on February 29, 2008 03:35 AM
(https://thebackalleys.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi146.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fr276%2FTomofForks%2Fyoudie.jpg&hash=1693a15e4845b71a10f69e878febe96e20f1233a)
Title: the wii
Post by: MRat on February 29, 2008 03:50 AM
lmao! Tom's best post.
Title: the wii
Post by: Halcion on February 29, 2008 06:12 PM
Seems true enough
Title: the wii
Post by: rtil on February 29, 2008 07:50 PM
how about i save myself $400 on something i'd only play for a month then get bored with
Title: the wii
Post by: Philip K Dick on February 29, 2008 07:55 PM
i was under the impression that pc games consisted of fps games, mmorpgs, and rts\\\'s

that all require all require you to upgrade your hardware constantly to play
Title: the wii
Post by: Halcion on February 29, 2008 08:03 PM
in a few years wii, ps3 and xbox will emulated on to pc, you can already buy an x-box 360 remote for your pc.
Title: the wii
Post by: vinexist on February 29, 2008 08:38 PM
So to be popular buy everything except a ps3
Title: the wii
Post by: Philip K Dick on February 29, 2008 08:49 PM
i own all systems so i dont really care but i like my gimickii a lot better than my overheatbox 360 thats for sure!!
Title: the wii
Post by: topcatyo on February 29, 2008 09:17 PM
Spent $600 to upgrade my PC with a new graphics card and motherboard (it was originally just for the graphics card, but we needed a new motherboard to get the graphics card to work with the computer, so that was an extra $300).  Then I had to get a new sound card to be able to use voice chat on games.
Currently I need speakers that sound good (and have bass) and a new microphone that isn't broken.
So, in other words, don't go PC if you can.  The games are fun, but god damn it's a hassle and  I had to reinstall every single game I had on Steam because Steam decided it hated me and stopped working.
Still, PC gaming is fun.  And I can use Garry's Mod.  I mostly wanna get a PS3 to play MGS4 and Little Big Planet.
Title: the wii
Post by: fish on March 2, 2008 02:55 AM
Well, I don't know about you... but I'd want a fairly nice computer even if I never played games on it. I'm not really even much of a gamer to be honest.
When I went to upgrade my computer with a graphics card and a power supply, it cost me like 300$ for the card and another 100$ for the power supply. A little bit pricey, but I can run anything from portal to crysis now.

My computer was already equipt with fairly good with a sound system, it was plenty fast enough, I have a nice 20" widescreen monitor and most everything else I want. Stuff like sound and speed for computers are stuff I'd hate not to have even without playing games.
Title: the wii
Post by: GRINACE on March 2, 2008 02:58 AM
lol I got the Wii. Pretty fun no homo.