... dear God.
Either Bill Nye's brand of humor doesn't really translate well to more controversial topics like Climate Change Denial and the Automation of the Workforce, or he's basically fine with embarrassing himself in order to get his message across.
I actually agree with quite a bit of what the show says, for the record. It just baffles me that people like him believe that stuff like this is the only way people will actually listen to them.
Why did Elma get so little screentime she was legitimately the only tolerable character in that show when she first appeared. Then they turned her into a boring career-woman/dyke clone of the main character.
Also in case anyone missed it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wllc5gSc-N8 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wllc5gSc-N8)
Were there any parts that weren't this bad?
>I actually agree with some of what the show says
Purge.
i've only seen the first episode, it was enjoyable
not sure what the fuck this is though
(https://thebackalleys.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thebackalleys.com%2Fdump%2Ffiles%2F1530%2F17Fa2_the_nyddler.jpg&hash=a63bc0db4c117e6f2154814942e59454b37d95c0)
Quote from: Bamyasi on April 26, 2017 03:23 AM
(https://thebackalleys.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thebackalleys.com%2Fdump%2Ffiles%2F1530%2F17Fa2_the_nyddler.jpg&hash=a63bc0db4c117e6f2154814942e59454b37d95c0)
https://media.8ch.net/file_store/d3ae06aba198ae911a86ebba700adae2b4ff0e06f208b8e4905fac72924c9a96.webm (https://media.8ch.net/file_store/d3ae06aba198ae911a86ebba700adae2b4ff0e06f208b8e4905fac72924c9a96.webm)
bill nye the meme science guy
I can't wait until I become an expert in something at some level which will cause people to blind me trust me on other unrelated topics the trust of which I will use to found the support of my own agenda pushing show on
i think bill has the opportunity to spread ideas from the scientific community and bring awareness to a lot of things which may otherwise be completely ignored simply because of his celebrity status. it has nothing to do with the fact as to whether he is actively a scientist, considering he is merely re-framing what has been found and presenting it to people in an easily digestible manner
since he's given a talk show, this is an ample opportunity to spread these ideas to more adults and kids alike depending upon what type of content there actually is. from what i've seen, most of the science he actually discusses is generally pretty solid and he's actually giving people a rundown of what actually has been found, which is increasingly important these days with how much stupid shit is getting spread about various forms of science. kinda like how the wrong half of the sjws are when they're talking about stuff with respect to the social sciences- how much other shit do you think any of these people are actually right about when they discuss it? the fact that you still have so many people that are against the notion of climate change alone is a huge reason as to why this show could be hugely beneficial. pair that with the fact that real science is generally not something that the news media are actually going to want to talk about in an honest manner since they want to sell doomsday headlines, and it becomes increasingly obvious as to why something like this is needed in some sense. if that ends up being bill nye's show, assuming it doesn't get fucking pulled into the cringe dimension(which it probably already has after seeing this vid), then so be it
i kinda blame the producers -- they're probably trying to insert some bits they perceive as "fun". that's why you have this skit. i personally hope it doesn't keep going in this direction, because someone actually discussing the issues in an honest manner would be a great thing to see
What does gender (a social construct invented by John Money in 1965) have to do with science though? Absolutely nothing. It's soft science.
Also really activates my almonds that liberals believe in deep ecology and human's having irreversible effects on their ecosystem, but think sociological concepts like gender can be bent to their will without disastrous consequences. Why can't we have deep anthropology too?
Quote from: Bamyasi on April 26, 2017 04:57 PM
liberals
Anyone.
Why can't we have deep anthropology talks too?
Great question. We can ask why. Hopefully it'all be answered unless you jumpstart your own thing, writing out the scripts for the majority to tune into/onto and can grasp.
Not being Yvonne's-gonna-not-English Yvonne.
Oh shit Bam brought up money we got some major pills incoming
Or teach others not to rely on inter-/television too much for reality factual-facts and know entertainment as fictional things or to research thoroughly before thinking it's the real thing.
I haven't watched it and I don't intend to.
Quote from: SrsSam77 on April 26, 2017 05:30 PM
Oh shit Bam brought up money we got some major pills incoming
I'mma make it rain. (https://twitter.com/RedPillDropper/status/857054577476202496)
What I think E;R gets wrong is that gender is actually a meaningful term when discussing activities. products and such that are acceptable for either sex to consume, but not as a direct synonym for sex itself.
Quote from: Yvonne on April 26, 2017 05:30 PM
Quote from: Bamyasi on April 26, 2017 04:57 PM
liberals
Anyone.
Nope. It's mostly liberals and lefties educated by Marxists and Frankfurters.
Anyone.
What do you the the "conservative" bit in the "Conservative" moniker for "Conservative" political affiliations signifies?
Think.
You can be in both ways of thinking if you have the time, benefits and/or resources which will help support your way of lifestyle or thinking.
Division (like angular hard oppositions of places) in the two ways of education doesn't sit right to me.
What other texts you can gather and comprehend that makes sense to you is much important as the ones which are flawed because you can disagree with them.
I was taught this big Japanese textbook company wiped Pearl Harbour from its history books. If that can happen, flawed and edited texts exist.
Wait what?
I wasn't saying socioeconomics doesn't affect political affiliation in fact I believe the inverse is true. Upper class liberals can typically afford to live in cities and drive Prius or take metros and experiment with age-old sociocultural axioms and their opinions inform lower class liberals (except most black people who trend toward honesty and thus don't even pretend to care about the environment). Likewise rich Conservatives live in dumb suburban or rural communities and drive big honkin trucks and value gender roles and Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior.
Not sure how what I said conflicts with that. I think you might have misunderstood me. I wasn't making a value judgement but an observation.
I don't make sense.
No worries. I didn't eat properly.
Don't worry - attack me, please.
I was too making an observation.
Before you were doing a Bam thing.
Quote from: Yvonne on April 26, 2017 06:26 PM
Don't worry - attack me, please.
(https://thebackalleys.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thebackalleys.com%2Fdump%2Ffiles%2F1530%2F3231Ae_let%2527s%2520hurt%2520each%2520other.jpg&hash=9c005248ef854417cc265ae6e3c3701c473514e5)
Okay.
Bringing it back to Bill Nye - he's one of the writers writing a talk show, I think. Like Blu stated.
Hopefully they can talk about transparent real things that are not silly things. Because you can educate without needing to dumb down. Or cater to what's trending at the moment.
Quote from: Bamyasi on April 26, 2017 06:31 PM
Quote from: Yvonne on April 26, 2017 06:26 PM
Don't worry - attack me, please.
(https://thebackalleys.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thebackalleys.com%2Fdump%2Ffiles%2F1530%2F3231Ae_let%2527s%2520hurt%2520each%2520other.jpg&hash=9c005248ef854417cc265ae6e3c3701c473514e5)
Hehe.
>trying to make sense of anything Yvonne's said Yvonne
(https://thebackalleys.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fvignette1.wikia.nocookie.net%2Fvillains%2Fimages%2F9%2F99%2FThe_Kurgan_4.png%2Frevision%2Flatest%3Fcb%3D20140228132908&hash=833e55ed8278189ab2b9d032a61235aee08abc36)
You should go have some more frankfurters if you're so hungry then yvonne :^)
Quote from: Bamyasi on April 26, 2017 05:55 PM
I'mma make it rain. (https://twitter.com/RedPillDropper/status/857054577476202496)
(https://thebackalleys.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FXzCw0iX.png&hash=d7449c0e1453374dfcfde1b3929f665f1be3550d)
jesus
Quote from: Bamyasi on April 26, 2017 04:57 PM
What does gender (a social construct invented by John Money in 1965) have to do with science though? Absolutely nothing. It's soft science.
Also really activates my almonds that liberals believe in deep ecology and human's having irreversible effects on their ecosystem, but think sociological concepts like gender can be bent to their will without disastrous consequences. Why can't we have deep anthropology too?
i agree that gender politics should largely be left out of a show that focuses on science
i also agree that there is
potential for humanity to have consequences for bending gender to their liking- but it's a pretty grey area at this point, and most people who decide to change their gender are the ones making the conscious decision to do so unlike the money/reimer scenario. a concern for the future is understandable, and we'll have a better idea of things as time goes on- but just because people accept a new minority into the norm, it shouldn't necessitate a fear of how people decide to live their life
(https://thebackalleys.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FoaWLlYc.jpg&hash=baf25c7f50f05b6f8523ec1448783902be7dfb26)
(https://thebackalleys.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FOpq6SBK.jpg&hash=30afbb64ad1e6fe6fc4bc2c1999d9599db48ba07)
what have i done
Created an oasis.
Redacted.
Because I did say attack me.
an oasis of genders
pick them off of trees
you'll need a cup for the fluid ones tho
Quote from: Yvonne on April 26, 2017 06:26 PM
I don't make sense.
No worries. I didn't eat properly.
Don't worry - attack me, please.
Tsk tsk tsk, continuing anorexic stereotypes in women and male on female domestic abuse. May St. Nye have mercy on your soul.
(https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C-PyURUUwAAOGOn.jpg:large)
Quote from: BluPhoenix on April 26, 2017 08:11 PM
Quote from: Bamyasi on April 26, 2017 05:55 PM
I'mma make it rain. (https://twitter.com/RedPillDropper/status/857054577476202496)
(https://thebackalleys.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FXzCw0iX.png&hash=d7449c0e1453374dfcfde1b3929f665f1be3550d)
jesus
He is basically.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFlMoAasW4A (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFlMoAasW4A)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j38aX4JxINQ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j38aX4JxINQ)
Quote from: BluPhoenix on April 26, 2017 08:11 PM
i agree that gender politics should largely be left out of a show that focuses on science
i also agree that there is potential for humanity to have consequences for bending gender to their liking- but it's a pretty grey area at this point, and most people who decide to change their gender are the ones making the conscious decision to do so unlike the money/reimer scenario. a concern for the future is understandable, and we'll have a better idea of things as time goes on- but just because people accept a new minority into the norm, it shouldn't necessitate a fear of how people decide to live their life
Didn't mean to make this about transgender existence but I guess that video is related. The "Sex Junk" video was more about how gender was this amorphous spectrum which I kind of see as diametrically opposed to transgender metaphysics.
[spoiler=Hot opinions]Transgender people have always existed and will probably always exist, what confuses me is how many times over the number of people diagnosed with gender dysphoria has multiplied in recent years, how much those numbers are skewed towards MtF, and how even some parents of small children are using any excuse to put their kids on HRT. Had I grown up in the 2010's, it's entirely likely I might be among them. If there's not something in the water then it's definitely in the air.
I totally believe people should live and dress and act how they please, but something about going under the knife to solve a psychological problem just doesn't sit with me very well. I'm against any blades near private parts unless there's medical necessity for it.
We'll probably be leaving behind a world of IVF, designer children, etc. by the time we all die. I guess I'm just a bit sad to see sentimental things like love and attraction divorced from narcissistic self-awareness become antiquated. Mostly because I value them in art.[/spoiler]
Quote from: mealguien on April 26, 2017 11:11 PM
what have i done
Facilitated discussion I guess.
(https://puu.sh/vxNG3/990b718ebe.png)
(https://puu.sh/vxNH3/8d371a6a37.png)
looks good
Is Gizmodo really shitting on Bill Nye? You would think since they were affiliated with Gawker... they would rave about it.
Nyet. And don't call them "transgender" that only fuels their imbecilic mindset. The trannies are not the source of themselves, they are a symptom of a greater movement. They're naught but a vulgar result of duplicity and underhandedness, they're the hickeys left on the whale's carcass by the kraken's tentacles.
As for "trans" rights, there is no such a thing. I could declare myself a werewolf and demand they start making doors wider, and anyone who disagrees is "lyanthrophobic", when in reality all I needed was an execution.
It's the conservative values laid down by the men they've been taught to despise that allow them to spew such sewage from their mouths, and they're making every attempt to explode these sovereign rights on which they unknowingly support themselves. The noose is round their neck and they're kicking the chair from beneath them.
Good times make weak men. Weak men make bad times. Bad times make strong men. Strong men make good times. Kill the kraken, then the tentacles will leave your ship.
> literally everything MaxCady said
Quote from: mealguien on April 26, 2017 11:11 PM
what have i done
Quote from: MaxCady on April 27, 2017 09:38 PM
Nyet. And don't call them "transgender" that only fuels their imbecilic mindset. The trannies are not the source of themselves, they are a symptom of a greater movement. They're naught but a vulgar result of duplicity and underhandedness, they're the hickeys left on the whale's carcass by the kraken's tentacles.
As for "trans" rights, there is no such a thing. I could declare myself a werewolf and demand they start making doors wider, and anyone who disagrees is "lyanthrophobic", when in reality all I needed was an execution.
It's the conservative values laid down by the men they've been taught to despise that allow them to spew such sewage from their mouths, and they're making every attempt to explode these sovereign rights on which they unknowingly support themselves. The noose is round their neck and they're kicking the chair from beneath them.
Good times make weak men. Weak men make bad times. Bad times make strong men. Strong men make good times. Kill the kraken, then the tentacles will leave your ship.
>conservative values are the only ones that matter a bloo bla bloo bloo gas everyone who thinks otherwise
ya ok /pol/ good luck living in any environment outside your own
>delivers no argument
>/pol/! drumpf is like literally hitler and your a nazi you ebil raycis
(https://thebackalleys.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2F2.bp.blogspot.com%2F-tjgKzMrQK5c%2FTy-lah3aiDI%2FAAAAAAAABtU%2FU8n8KmwlPXc%2Fs1600%2FClancy-Brown-Highlander.jpg&hash=2e1d11bcf1edf4e145fdf11272d9bb6f1d14b9aa)
Those words only scare high ranking political officials or well known celebrities. To anyone else, it's just the same white noise you hear at any Antifa rally.
i figure when someone tries to justify social ostracism/genocide that arguing with them is probably off the table
Oh shit, who did that? I must have just missed him.
(https://thebackalleys.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2F0YmZ7R8.jpg&hash=701b4de23e1a589a7eb8101311fd8cf7ee7ae36b)
(https://thebackalleys.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Filivehereigivehere.org%2Fimg%2Fuploaded%2Fblog%2Fgivefromtheheart_06_12_2012_04_35.jpg&hash=6222cf898026a63252dd713f1f9db0c9aebdc6da)
Yeah he will usually UGH at you like that, don't mind it
also
Quote from: BluPhoenix on April 27, 2017 11:27 PM
ya ok other person with views not my own, I'm going to call you close minded whilst I go back to posting anime dickgirls in my discord where every other bot command spits out a picture of Trump in a compromising position
Also MaxChady over here had a pretty good point in his original post but you defaulted to calling him a nazi and genocide enabler
:^)
>anime dickgirls
Wow that's so fucking degenerate, BluPhoenix, you should send those to me or something so that I can make fun or you or whatever.
Quote from: MaxCady on April 28, 2017 03:33 AM
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
(https://thebackalleys.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fcdnjs.cloudflare.com%2Fajax%2Flibs%2Femojione%2F2.2.6%2Fassets%2Fsvg%2F1f60f.svg&hash=5afcbb2ed7e33b6e69f4906de2cea91afb2adcf9)
From what I've seen it's like twin peaks but better
i really value your opinion sam
Quote from: Jon on April 28, 2017 03:38 AM
From what I've seen it's like twin peaks but better
Thats what was missing from Twin Peaks... SEX!
"The owls are sexier than they seem"
*drinks ur genderfluid* mm..
That's Damn good genderfluid!
what a mess
Quote from: SrsSam77 on April 28, 2017 03:30 AM
MaxChady over here had a pretty good point in his original post but you defaulted to calling him a nazi and genocide enabler
:^)
Quote from: MaxCady on April 27, 2017 09:38 PM
And don't call them "transgender" that only fuels their imbecilic mindset. The trannies are not the source of themselves, they are a symptom of a greater movement. They're naught but a vulgar result of duplicity and underhandedness, they're the hickeys left on the whale's carcass by the kraken's tentacles.
Are you sure you want to defend this
the end is nye
Quote from: MaxCady on April 27, 2017 09:38 PM
I could declare myself a werewolf and demand they start making doors wider, and anyone who disagrees is "lyanthrophobic", when in reality all I needed was an execution.
except gender dysphoria is a real thing
you're making the mistake of sampling a vocal minority of people cherry-picked by confirmation bias. it's easy to take a handful of antifa sjw tumblrites and use them to make a blanket statement about an entire group of people, but it's willfully disingenuous and you know it.
transgender people are not the byproduct of anything modern, only the mouthpiece that validates their existence is. if you can't at least acknowledge that gender dysphoria is a real disorder and that HRT is a method of treating it then you're going to have a hard time having a meaningful conversation with anyone here regarding the subject.
Who let the dogs out?
gee i wonder
Quote from: mealguien on April 28, 2017 03:55 AM
Quote from: SrsSam77 on April 28, 2017 03:30 AM
MaxChady over here had a pretty good point in his original post but you defaulted to calling him a nazi and genocide enabler
:^)
Quote from: MaxCady on April 27, 2017 09:38 PM
And don't call them "transgender" that only fuels their imbecilic mindset. The trannies are not the source of themselves, they are a symptom of a greater movement. They're naught but a vulgar result of duplicity and underhandedness, they're the hickeys left on the whale's carcass by the kraken's tentacles.
Are you sure you want to defend this
Because I'm not going to insult twinks that like dressing like Japanese schoolgirls by classing them in with tumblr levels of pretension and sense of entitlement.
When I say "trans" I don't mean the 19 year old Japanese kid at an anime convention dressed like his waifu, I mean cretinous blob with half his head shaved, a patchy beard, and a ring through his nose, despite it having been a symbol of the barbarism of slavery for centuries.
"transgender people are not the byproduct of anything modern, only the mouthpiece that validates their existence is. if you can't at least acknowledge that gender dysphoria is a real disorder and that HRT is a method of treating it then you're going to have a hard time having a meaningful conversation with anyone here regarding the subject.
Of course I was being a little hyperbolic, I understand that Gender dysphoria is a real psychological problem, but thats the thing, its psychological and should be treated as such. Society should not have to twist itself into a pretzel for .1 percent of the population, who now demands special treatment and a level of "protected species".
>HRT is a method of treating it
Except that the majority of those who undergo HRT and sex reassignment surgery commit suicide after the fact. It's not big meanies like me throwing eggs at their windows, it's that they have a problem and need real treatment, not placation. If you actually cared about any of those people you would actually help them instead of bashing in the skull of anyone who critizes them with bike locks.
who hurt you
(https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/304410140428468235/307271687832076288/unknown.png)
Quote from: Yvonne on April 28, 2017 04:19 AM
Quote from: soup on April 28, 2017 04:18 AM
Three word response
Quote from: Bamyasi on April 27, 2017 07:36 AM
- how many times over the number of people diagnosed with gender dysphoria has multiplied in recent years
- how much those numbers are skewed towards MtF
- parents of small children are using any excuse to put their kids on HRT
- going under the knife to solve a psychological problem
- love and attraction divorced from narcissistic self-awareness
Still waiting for my points salad to get a dressing.
>gender dysphoria is REAL
(https://puu.sh/vnKAU/1722d0bf83.png)
>r u sure you want to have views that go against mine?
(https://puu.sh/vnKAU/1722d0bf83.png)
>u kno I have a panic attack and life crisis everytime I look down when I pee right?
(https://puu.sh/vnKAU/1722d0bf83.png)
>I'm still not going to respond properly to bam or Chady
(https://puu.sh/vnKAU/1722d0bf83.png)
Don't fucking mess with Texas alright.
Mealguien! is a mess
Quote from: MaxCady on April 28, 2017 04:14 AM
Of course I was being a little hyperbolic, I understand that Gender dysphoria is a real psychological problem, but thats the thing, its psychological and should be treated as such. Society should not have to twist itself into a pretzel for .1 percent of the population, who now demands special treatment and a level of "protected species".
so are you still being hyperbolic, or..? i mean there's a middle ground here, too.
Quote
>HRT is a method of treating it
Except that the majority of those who undergo HRT and sex reassignment surgery commit suicide after the fact.
wow that's a stunning number. the majority so, more than half? i'd love to see a citation on this, if it's a true statistic it's an incredible one. surely a doctor would consider this before condoning HRT.
QuoteIt's not big meanies like me throwing eggs at their windows, it's that they have a problem and need real treatment, not placation. If you actually cared about any of those people you would actually help them instead of bashing in the skull of anyone who critizes them with bike locks.
i'm not sure if you're talking to me here or specifically referencing some video or something, but anyway i'm not saying that HRT is the
only treatment for gender dysphoria, nor would i ever tell someone that's what they needed.
i don't know how to help people with gender dysphoria, i'm not a psychologist or a doctor, i don't have gender dysphoria and i have no idea what that would feel like. but i will tell you that i have seen people undergo years of HRT who used to be miserable and are now very happy people living their lives. at least on the surface that is what i have observed. i'm sure there are people out there who think they might want to transition and end up changing their minds or wish they hadn't, as it goes with any life-changing decision.
that being said i disagree that HRT is nothing but placation as hormonal changes and visual appearance have varying psychological side effects.
Bill Nye. Four pages in and essays of mem-development spew out.
I like thinking about history where - was it? - Alexander the Great accomplished much much conquering things at age 32?
Edit: Ah. He died at 32.
Boop. (https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/67s5i0/comment/dgsz4dq)
The whole thread's a joy to read.
I concede the majority was a misomer.
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0016885 (http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0016885)
>gender dysphoria is real
(https://thebackalleys.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fpuu.sh%2FvyDoI%2Fcf95517ce1.png&hash=095f6de50cfba1fbb644eb2ac68563b4d46ff527)
so real that an australia man completely lost his will to get snippy snippy icky dicky getting 2mg a day of a drug commonly used for schizophrenics :^)
well that settles it, a sample size of 1 person should suffice
Are we heading for a bike lock.
Who needs more than one person when you have the one in Paul "You take estrogen you'll get Destrogen'd" McHaugh
http://www.dailywire.com/news/6300/former-johns-hopkins-chief-psychiatry-transgender-amanda-prestigiacomo (http://www.dailywire.com/news/6300/former-johns-hopkins-chief-psychiatry-transgender-amanda-prestigiacomo)
http://www.thepublicdiscourse.com/2015/06/15145/ (http://www.thepublicdiscourse.com/2015/06/15145/)
40 years at johns hopkins with a decade as chair of psychiatry and it all got tore down because he spoke out against madness
>demands citations
>receives a yuge, well documented list
>ignores it and makes a oober quirky "gotcha!" john olver statement
(https://i1.sndcdn.com/avatars-000047679997-yagfv3-t500x500.jpg)
they're not even trying anymore
valid treatment or not how does it invalidate the existence of gender dysphoria? not saying that some cases aren't "doubtful" but it seems important to you since you brought it up
PLEASE BAN ME™
Quote from: BluPhoenix on April 28, 2017 05:10 AM
I just told chady and SrsAlpha™ to go back to their safespace not even 30 minutes ago but because I am a manchild I and can't simply ignore them I now want them banned because I need a safe space of my own
poetic
i don't feel particularly convinced by either sides
Gender dysphoria is definitely real but if gender is a social-construct then its roots are probably in the culture and thus shouldn't need surgical intervention. Sort of like FGM and circumcision: coming to a Detroit near you. (//http://)
Quote from: BluPhoenix on April 28, 2017 05:10 AM
PLEASE BAN ME™
^
Quote from: Jon on April 28, 2017 05:16 AM
i don't feel particularly convinced by either sides
(https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/18/fb/19/18fb19b25ae74e334051a0de16367e1e.jpg)
well i don't believe gender is a social construct, gender is biological. gender roles however can be social constructs, men and women are naturally predisposed to fall into some of them, but they can vary sometimes greatly.
the internet has given rise to cause more people to question their sexuality and gender probably more than ever before, how much of it is true gender dysphoria is hard to say. i do think some corners of the internet romanticize transitioning or at least imagining yourself as the other gender, mostly mtf. to reduce such a complicated subject to crude memes and twitterbytes is at best irresponsible.
(https://thebackalleys.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2F5s4kkZ1.gif&hash=27b7e81f4e0a4c1bc64d05dccbc3c68716370731)
Quote from: rtil on April 28, 2017 05:22 AM
well i don't believe gender is a social construct, gender is biological. gender roles however can be social constructs, men and women are naturally predisposed to fall into some of them, but they can vary sometimes greatly.
the internet has given rise to cause more people to question their sexuality and gender probably more than ever before, how much of it is true gender dysphoria is hard to say. i do think some corners of the internet romanticize transitioning or at least imagining yourself as the other gender, mostly mtf. to reduce such a complicated subject to crude memes and twitterbytes is at best irresponsible.
(https://i.vimeocdn.com/video/339865461.jpg?mw=1920&mh=1080&q=70)
I'll agree with that.
(https://thebackalleys.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fpuu.sh%2FvyF4p%2F3df9b3de34.jpg&hash=f32e124c0d471971f6801732ab335ecd8f79d233)
i do believe there is a poisonous subculture of labeling yourself with a disorder in order to "fit in" with like minded peers. like a ticket into a special club. it devalues the few that actually do have a disorder, turns it into a joke, which really sickens me. sadly it wont go away as long as echo chambers like facebook and tumblr continue to exist.
Anyways agree with rtil's statement.
In my own opinion changing genders is an attention grab and mental illness. Other outcast communities just kept enabling it and it has become rather prevalent.
Body piercings, excessive tattoos, and dyed hair just doesn't do it for people anymore.
Quote from: SrsSam77 on April 28, 2017 05:15 AM
Quote from: BluPhoenix on April 28, 2017 05:10 AM
I just told chady and SrsAlpha™ to go back to their safespace not even 30 minutes ago but because I am a manchild I and can't simply ignore them I now want them banned because I need a safe space of my own
poetic
for someone whos let their head get this big i imagine it still sounds hollow inside
Quote from: BluPhoenix on April 28, 2017 05:35 AM
qoute from that came from that one girl in 6th grade that spent too much time reading dragon fantasy novels and seemed to have a bright future due to her book worm-type personality but instead turned into a rather infamous wattpad scalie fanfic writer out of high school
Quote from: rtil on April 28, 2017 05:22 AM
well i don't believe gender is a social construct, gender is biological. gender roles however can be social constructs, men and women are naturally predisposed to fall into some of them, but they can vary sometimes greatly.
I don't distinguish gender from gender roles personally so I agree with you here. What you're calling "gender" I'd say "sex" defines just as well if not better. Semantics.
Quote from: rtil on April 28, 2017 05:22 AM
the internet has given rise to cause more people to question their sexuality and gender probably more than ever before, how much of it is true gender dysphoria is hard to say. i do think some corners of the internet romanticize transitioning or at least imagining yourself as the other gender, mostly mtf. to reduce such a complicated subject to crude memes and twitterbytes is at best irresponsible.
It's an understandably insular group of individuals,
but hardly any of them are willing to discuss it with people outside their circles or covered psych practice.
Definitely people have gender dysphoria but I think at least part of it comes from an surface-level undervaluation or characterization of masculinity in first world countries. Europe and the Far-East have shifted toward more effeminate ideals for the male sex but they also aren't breeding. This hearkens back to a thread we had last January (http://www.thebackalleys.com/forum/general/should-we-reduce-the-current-male-population-by-90-13633/). I guess I sound like a broken record.
Edit: Redacted.
(https://images.discordapp.net/.eJwVwlEKwyAMANC7eABjjVrS24gVW9YaMSn7GLv7GO99zDMvs5lDdcgGsJ9SeO5WlGdu1TbmdtU8TrGFb8iquRx37SqwxOADYUrRoac_QLcipUBLRJ9oTQ7h6a_O725Hb-b7AwhzIug.BpRtsha60u6f656ibynbx0xvYaY)
Quote from: SrsSam77 on April 28, 2017 05:48 AM
Quote from: BluPhoenix on April 28, 2017 05:35 AM
qoute from that came from that one girl in 6th grade that spent too much time reading dragon fantasy novels and seemed to have a bright future due to her book worm-type personality but instead turned into a rather infamous wattpad scalie fanfic writer out of high school
oh look, just like every other tryhard attempt to come off as funny or clever, you succeed in neither regard. imagine that
though admittedly you could probably cure world hunger with the quantity of words you put in everyone's mouths
Quote from: Casmos on April 28, 2017 05:34 AM
Anyways agree with rtil's statement.
In my own opinion changing genders is an attention grab and mental illness. Other outcast communities just kept enabling it and it has become rather prevalent.
Body piercings, excessive tattoos, and dyed hair just doesn't do it for people anymore.
who the fuck is this retard
wow this fucking thread lol
no wonder I never bother coming here anymore
Oh shit you may be right! I might just be retarded!
DAAAH I was born with a penis but I want to be a gurl so imma gonna take a bunch of unnatural peepee shrinking hormones and be best friends with Chris-chan!
I'm sure my body wanted to be a girl all along it was just confused in the womb so my fully functioning brain tells me the Y Chromosome determines nothing!
i find you lack perspective
Not necessarily
I was called retarded and as per the internet rules, I one upped the sentiment.
I find it odd that "having perspective" conviently coincides with agreeing to the views and philosophies of a certain group who's numbers and popularity have recently exploded and who must always be treated with kids gloves as if they have no agency or ability to hear other opinions on their own 🤔
to "lack perspective" in this regard would mean "lacking exposure to the people you're judging". something you're pretty versed in, so it's no wonder you'd pass that off as acceptable
i find your lack of faith.................. disturbing,,,,...
(https://i.ytimg.com/vi/s11Ff8MktME/hqdefault.jpg)
I think we should all come to a middle ground.
I think we all can agree that gender dysphoria is not a mental illness and just a mental disorder, and calling it an illness is inflammatory and degrading.
I think we can also agree that there are a number of noticeable people in the trans community that act as though this is a trend, not the legitimate trans people but rather the ones that were in similar communities like other-kins and whatnot. Where they dress the part but don't actually go all in, yet they try to get people to join in with them. I DID NOT SAY ALL, OR EVEN MOST OF THE PEOPLE IN THE COMMUNITY, I SAID A NUMBER OF!
To me I have a similar belief to that of Colin Ross, whos scholarly article I will link below this, where we either should take gender dysphoria off the DSM list as a mental disorder and treat HRT/SRS as regular plastic surgery or if it stays as a mental disorder in the next DSM to treat it as a mental disorder and get rid of HRT/SRS. Ross specializes in trauma and dissociation disorders and compares them to patients he has had before. One lady believed that she was ugly and that people were trying to get away from her, another woman had the same thing but instead of looks she thought her body was secreting an odor that was horrid. For both of these ladies these beliefs were all in their head, instead of having them get plastic surgery (though im not sure what they could have done with the smelling problem) he prescribed them treatment for similar dissociation and in the end helped them.
http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/springer/ehpp/2009/00000011/00000003/art00003 (http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/springer/ehpp/2009/00000011/00000003/art00003)
I am not saying that this and other studies of antidepressants or anti psychotics are the end all be all for gender dysphoria, but it is deffinately good to look into considering that as I have said before, it is a mental disorder in the DSM. With no other disorder in the DSM (to my knowledge, if anyone can find one please link it here or pm me elsewhere or whatnot) that instead of prescribing treatment to act against the condition, they reinforce the patients idea that the problem is not with their mental state but with their body.
And I don't think I have to say this but you all know that I am not saying this to be pejorative or spiteful to anyone on either side or in the middle of this. I am trying to be as clear and conservative(not in terms of politics) as possible since its an eggshell issue.