thebackalleys

Main => The Gallery => Topic started by: Tardigrade on November 14, 2012 02:57 PM

Title: Artwork and Slightly Damp Question Marks.
Post by: Tardigrade on November 14, 2012 02:57 PM
Well, ok, I was lying about the latter in the title. Question marks aren't really much use when they're wet, as they have the tendency to fall apart easily when they assume such a physical state.

Anyway, as you've likely deduced, I've made this thread for the purpose of posting my artwork. Critiques would be greatly appreciated, if you can, for I have a number of things I must improve upon. To start off this amalgamation of text and general visual expression, here's a fairly quick digital painting from earlier this month. Of sorts, it's concept art for a concept I've been developing since last year that I'd like to produce as a short illustrated story and or something animated. I realise I could've focused upon texture a lot more, but I was only really doing this to get back into digital painting.

(https://thebackalleys.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thebackalleys.com%2Fdump%2Ffiles%2F2885%2F780dU_IMG%2520copy.jpg&hash=4242c8cc68fffdae677285181b02fd8aa3406c45)

High resolution version here. (http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/308/4/6/horizon_by_personinator-d5jy86c.jpg)
Title: Re: Artwork and Slightly Damp Question Marks.
Post by: bd648 on November 14, 2012 05:30 PM
The thing on the right (the "gear head" as i will call it) seems to be in a awkward position. the gear on his left side takes the place of his shoulder while the gear on the right is outside his shoulder (might be intentional but i like symmetry). And as you mentioned the texture is a bit odd but not bad. I think you should work on just some of the modeling. I do like the experimental feel of it though. And gears are fun.
Title: Re: Artwork and Slightly Damp Question Marks.
Post by: rtil on November 14, 2012 09:45 PM
the perspective is odd but i like the concept
Title: Re: Artwork and Slightly Damp Question Marks.
Post by: Tardigrade on November 15, 2012 01:59 PM
Quote from: bd648 on November 14, 2012 05:30 PM
The thing on the right (the "gear head" as i will call it) seems to be in a awkward position. the gear on his left side takes the place of his shoulder while the gear on the right is outside his shoulder (might be intentional but i like symmetry). And as you mentioned the texture is a bit odd but not bad. I think you should work on just some of the modeling. I do like the experimental feel of it though. And gears are fun.

Yeah, I did feel that looked a bit odd in retrospect, in regards the shoulders. Anyway, thank you for the feedback. Oh, and yes, I do agree, gears are indeed fun.

Quote from: rtil on November 14, 2012 09:45 PM
the perspective is odd but i like the concept

That too, the perspective could've used a little work. Thank you.

Title: Re: Artwork and Slightly Damp Question Marks.
Post by: SHADOWFOX2 on November 16, 2012 06:15 PM
Looks pretty good to me
Title: Re: Artwork and Slightly Damp Question Marks.
Post by: Tardigrade on November 28, 2012 04:13 PM
Ok, here's a graphite drawing I've just finished. This one's also a concept art-ish piece for another project I've been planning. I don't think this one really came out too well; I was focusing on experimenting with negative space and heavy tones.

(https://thebackalleys.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thebackalleys.com%2Fdump%2Ffiles%2F2885%2F903cV9_IMG_00032.png&hash=ea196371f06e499b916d91c399f0f184ba33d872)

High resolution version available here. (http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/333/6/d/the_unprecedented_assistance_by_personinator-d5mj09k.png)
Title: Re: Artwork and Slightly Damp Question Marks.
Post by: Tardigrade on December 4, 2012 05:43 PM
Here a few sketches out of a collective of facial anatomy studies I did from photographs on this website (http://lovecastle.org/draw/). It's not much, and I know they're pretty questionable, but I felt like posting something, so yeah. Also, I've recently been playing around with some newly acquired gouache, so I might get around to investing them into a painting at some point, who knows.

(https://thebackalleys.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thebackalleys.com%2Fdump%2Ffiles%2F2885%2F427Ww8_hbhmjk.jpg&hash=07ea0ab97d594fe9c56f71663d44dee18a55d168)
Title: Re: Artwork and Slightly Damp Question Marks.
Post by: ZennyPLUS on December 4, 2012 10:26 PM
That's a great website.
Title: Re: Artwork and Slightly Damp Question Marks.
Post by: rtil on December 4, 2012 11:20 PM
ever done skull studies? i think it would help you understand facial structure a little better. i'd also recommend trying to get away from the scribbly lines you are doing and try to communicate more with less. use longer, bolder pencil markings , and try to show as much movement as you can with as little line.
Title: Re: Artwork and Slightly Damp Question Marks.
Post by: Tardigrade on December 5, 2012 11:50 AM
Quote from: ZennyPLUS on December  4, 2012 10:26 PM
That's a great website.

Indeed it is. That and Posemaniacs are pretty good resources for studying human anatomy on the internet, in my opinion.

Quote from: rtil on December  4, 2012 11:20 PM
ever done skull studies? i think it would help you understand facial structure a little better. i'd also recommend trying to get away from the scribbly lines you are doing and try to communicate more with less. use longer, bolder pencil markings , and try to show as much movement as you can with as little line.

To some extent, yes. I say to some extent, seeing as I've done some studies in the past of human skulls from photographs, but not from life. I have considered for a while possibly purchasing a model of a skull or a skeleton to study from. Also, I agree with what you said with the lines. I have a bit of a tendency to do that when I do quick studies. I'll keep in mind what you said for future reference. Thank you, Rtil.
Title: Re: Artwork and Slightly Damp Question Marks.
Post by: Tardigrade on January 8, 2013 06:12 PM
Well, this isn't too much, but here's a portrait study drawing I did of Alan Watts, whom of which was a philosopher that focused upon popularising Eastern philosophy and concepts for western audiences. He's pretty awesome in my opinion.

(https://thebackalleys.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thebackalleys.com%2Fdump%2Ffiles%2F2885%2F754Yt4_IMG_0003%2520copy.jpg&hash=400e4a4219112721cd2714e3aebb875f1fab435c)

Anyway, I feel that the hair in particular on this looks terrible, I'm awful at rendering such. Again, critiques and whatnot would be appreciated. I couldn't find actual iteration of the reference image I used, but  here (http://www.thebackalleys.com/dump/files/2885/830Gy0_Watts.jpg) is a variant that is at least derived from the reference I used.
Title: Re: Artwork and Slightly Damp Question Marks.
Post by: bd648 on January 8, 2013 07:06 PM
His left side looks a bit swayed. And i cant really find fault in the hair except for the widow's peak.
A trick i used once upon a time was to cover one half of the face and imagine what the other side would look like then compare it to the drawing so far. It works well for shaping heads. I don't know you might find that helpful. The right side of his face looks quite dashing though.
Title: Re: Artwork and Slightly Damp Question Marks.
Post by: Tardigrade on January 9, 2013 09:05 AM
Quote from: bd648 on January  8, 2013 07:06 PM
His left side looks a bit swayed. And i cant really find fault in the hair except for the widow's peak.
A trick i used once upon a time was to cover one half of the face and imagine what the other side would look like then compare it to the drawing so far. It works well for shaping heads. I don't know you might find that helpful. The right side of his face looks quite dashing though.

Hm, yes, I think I see what you mean. Thank you, BD.
Title: Re: Artwork and Slightly Damp Question Marks.
Post by: Jon on January 13, 2013 02:27 AM
looks like one eyes way bigger than the other.
Title: Re: Artwork and Slightly Damp Question Marks.
Post by: Tardigrade on March 9, 2013 05:46 PM
Indeed, I didn't really become aware of that until after I had finished it. Oh well.

Anyway, here's a couple of things to gaze at and then probably wish you hadn't:

(https://thebackalleys.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thebackalleys.com%2Fdump%2Ffiles%2F2885%2F628Iz8_P3080009g.jpg&hash=209e874ca6976a2519800ed8849bbf5992cfc3bf)

Here's a painting I recently finished. I realise that it encompasses a number of flaws, such as in the composition. I am also aware this probably isn't the best image; I wasn't able to find my camera tripod, hence the reason it was quite unstable. I might update with a better photo of it at some point.

(https://thebackalleys.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thebackalleys.com%2Fdump%2Ffiles%2F2885%2F834W7p_Untitled-2%2520copy.png&hash=70a95fb81bbb60733c820d7aeaa44bdc3d077ccf)

Additionally, this is a small collective of not-that-specific character design sketches for one of the previously mentioned projects I have been developing.  They're pretty questionable, I know.

Title: Re: Artwork and Slightly Damp Question Marks.
Post by: rtil on March 9, 2013 10:12 PM
i think stronger linework would help out your sketches a lot. bolder and more confident lines. you dont need to do so many direction changes in your hatching, either
Title: Re: Artwork and Slightly Damp Question Marks.
Post by: Sinitron on March 11, 2013 11:38 AM
yeah everything is a little fuzzy

it's not all bad but like ryan said it lacks confidence, it's undefined in a lot of places and your details are drowned out
Title: Re: Artwork and Slightly Damp Question Marks.
Post by: Tardigrade on March 11, 2013 04:28 PM
Quote from: rtil on March  9, 2013 10:12 PM
i think stronger linework would help out your sketches a lot. bolder and more confident lines. you dont need to do so many direction changes in your hatching, either

Yes, I agree with what you have said. I should focus on attempting to produce stronger lines in my sketches and drawings. I also see what you mean about my hatching. Thank you.

Quote from: Sinitron on March 11, 2013 11:38 AM
yeah everything is a little fuzzy

it's not all bad but like ryan said it lacks confidence, it's undefined in a lot of places and your details are drowned out

I feel that's a major problem with a lot of stuff I produce, the more it ameliorates.

Anyway, thank you both for your feedback.
Title: Re: Artwork and Slightly Damp Question Marks.
Post by: Tardigrade on April 1, 2013 04:00 PM
Here's an evidently terrible quick drawing of some sort of omnipotent Tardigrade being or something. There's a plethora of glaring flaws with this one, so once again, any critiques or general advice would be much appreciated.

Still, coloured pencils are pretty fun to work with, I particularly want to improve with them as a medium.

(https://thebackalleys.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thebackalleys.com%2Fdump%2Ffiles%2F2885%2F648He1_edrbd.jpg&hash=5dcaf3878c62f272877bf553d867a86bfc751fb6)
Title: Re: Artwork and Slightly Damp Question Marks.
Post by: rtil on April 1, 2013 05:49 PM
i think you should focus less on trying to do detailed shading and more on the quality of your linework. it's a bit of a messy piece
Title: Re: Artwork and Slightly Damp Question Marks.
Post by: Tardigrade on April 1, 2013 07:54 PM
Indeed, I feel that is a major problem with what it is I produce, as mentioned previously. Aside from the fact the piece in general is very messy in regards to the execution of the colours and forms, I feel that I should have focused more upon emphasising the textures of the subjects (such as the moss and tree bark). Implying textures of subjects is also another facet I am presently focused upon improving.

Anyway, thank you once again, Rtil for your feedback.
Title: Re: Artwork and Slightly Damp Question Marks.
Post by: bd648 on April 2, 2013 04:12 PM
it is slightly messy. i was going to say something about changing up your medium but WELP YOU ALREADY DID THAT! GJ! Also tardigrades. nice.
Title: Re: Artwork and Slightly Damp Question Marks.
Post by: Tardigrade on October 10, 2013 09:32 AM
It's been a while since I updated this thread, so here's some things.

Here's a couple of studies from some skulls:

(https://thebackalleys.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thebackalleys.com%2Fdump%2Ffiles%2F2885%2F3970tL_ScanI.jpg&hash=7febb966c23896b7a9f64b1e482b8c415083a91d)

(https://thebackalleys.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thebackalleys.com%2Fdump%2Ffiles%2F2885%2F139hJ5_ScanII.jpg&hash=c40b42d01a96090f4a7e9d207603bdca0518c50f)

The first one is a sheep, the second is a badger. Criticism would be appreciated as usual.
Title: Re: Artwork and Slightly Damp Question Marks.
Post by: slack on October 11, 2013 04:30 AM
more skulls
Title: Re: Artwork and Slightly Damp Question Marks.
Post by: Tardigrade on August 31, 2014 12:20 PM
Man, I haven't been here in a while, so here's a bunch of things from the past months that you didn't ask to see:

(https://thebackalleys.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi60.tinypic.com%2Fet86qd.jpg&hash=db370f893bc7e00101e7e7b296f23863c4a6e8ae)

(https://thebackalleys.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi59.tinypic.com%2Fr8b91s.jpg&hash=e80e28cbd6341057c2c6835c7bdb2abc618acb6e)

(https://thebackalleys.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi61.tinypic.com%2F2cwnzl.jpg&hash=c011db9c941f9d5cfac92f6d35bb3bc8a0b2a203)

(https://thebackalleys.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Ffc05.deviantart.net%2Ffs70%2Ff%2F2014%2F195%2Fc%2F3%2Fjudgement_of_the_amalgamated_by_personinator-d7qo48u.jpg&hash=edf5c7700efb159c12c3651087f140e406b2cdc3)

(https://thebackalleys.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi59.tinypic.com%2F10nz484.jpg&hash=077ac0e38c6f743dc49c6b3c8ef16d0fcd5cf6f9)

If you could give crits that would be good as I need to be less shit at what I do.
Title: Re: Artwork and Slightly Damp Question Marks.
Post by: rtil on August 31, 2014 01:10 PM
i see really subtle strokes in your pointillism. i'd be curious to see what you could do with hatching.

for the painted piece, try carving out sharper edges by painting with the background color or your eraser. it will help you get rid of those soft and round nubs around corners that round brushes tend to make. for something as menacing as that beetle, it would suit it well
Title: Re: Artwork and Slightly Damp Question Marks.
Post by: crackers on August 31, 2014 01:48 PM
i like the beetles
Title: Re: Artwork and Slightly Damp Question Marks.
Post by: Tardigrade on August 31, 2014 02:40 PM
Thanks guys. Rtil, I will take your advice into consideration. Pointillism is fun, I've been studying scientific illustration so I've been practicing pen and ink techniques a lot. Anyway, here's some more things that are also relatively recent:

(https://thebackalleys.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Ffc06.deviantart.net%2Ffs71%2Ff%2F2014%2F133%2F9%2F8%2Fhomindyceps_by_personinator-d7i8vrf.png&hash=b18b691fb128cd02edcb03ea85a4fe8da77b9bb8)

(https://thebackalleys.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi61.tinypic.com%2F2akjiv6.jpg&hash=86b345376398c5d635e2f13b4b9b6d19e21a7208)

(https://thebackalleys.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi62.tinypic.com%2F10n9md4.jpg&hash=1f049e6008e352f1809cd515d92c7ebb55cadf0c)

(https://thebackalleys.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi59.tinypic.com%2Fn2yjc1.jpg&hash=6e8b2585e2c1aef8d5d505af36c19af738d0c922)