current state of internet rn/how do you think its changed since 5 years ago?

Started by Jon, October 8, 2023 09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon

whats your take. better, worse, more woke, less woke, etc. etc.

rtil

ok so 5 years ago it was 2018
this was before covid so it was objectively better. everything got worse after covid. kinda like 9/11. the event was used as an excuse to make everyone else more permanently miserable at the expense of a tragedy
i think the internet kinda gets worse over time anyway as it becomes more dense, more consolidated, more corporatized, etc. it just happens slowly so you don't notice it as much
convenience and accessibility improve. but that's it. everything else is more shit
that's why i think small communities are important. if i just hung out on twitter all day i'd go insane. there's too many fuckin people on the internet

Jon

rtil

oh yeah definitely you just have to browse tiktok for a little while you can see all the zoomers pioneering the latest memes i don't get cuz i'm too old and can't relate to them anymore

i try to keep up but every once in a while something catches me by surprise like fuckin skibidi toilet which i hadn't heard of by the time it already had millions of fans on youtube

stratkat

Humor even to my taste has evolved so much, what used to make me laugh out loud online a few decades ago seems primitive and archaic, because it is.

BluPhoenix

more and more people are chronically online with social media as the years go by and it inherently breeds an insufferable person that treats arguments and whatnot either like a numbers game or the oppression olympics (giving or receiving, really), and meme culture is entirely different these days- there was a transitional period in late 2018 where there was the hot seasonal meme, then the meme of the month, meme of the week, and now memes get introduced and dropped within days- which honestly, i prefer. i'd rather see a joke run its course in a compacted time period than watch it get beaten to death over the coming months. the only memes that have longevity past this threshold anyways are usually the ones with a lot more versatility or are actually just outright funny. also really crazy to see things like ragecomics come back in a post-irony fashion and i shockingly get a kick out of them now. i think gen z definitely has some of the best sense of humour i've seen, even if i can think of some examples of their humour that do not mesh with me, and it really makes me wonder what to expect from future generations

[12:59 AM] elm: yea honestly if you dont want to cum on elmer fudds bald head whats wrong with you
[07:49.46] <+slack> cum erupts from the dick at an alarming rate
[07:49.59] <+slack> it will blast off and slap the wall at like 40 mph

rtil

so weird that shit like trollface disappeared for years only to come back with another layer of abstraction

pepes and wojaks have taken on lives of their own as well

Jon

i hope at some point the government will step up with all the social media bullshit happening. whatever that would entail. i'm not even sure what's in place now.

for the record my least favourite aspect of the internet rn is misinformation

Jon

i feel like regulating people for spreading misinformation becomes weird when it's their 'beliefs'

nuac_

Quote from: Jon on October  8, 2023 09:10 PMwhats your take. better, worse, more woke, less woke, etc. etc.
Quote from: Jon on October  9, 2023 04:25 AMfor the record my least favourite aspect of the internet rn is misinformation

It's like I dont have to post but lol.

Tiktok is not good
It is filled with fake piano tutorials
fake GTAV money cheats etc.

(Notice the number of pitches coming out of the 1 key)

While some part of old internet; "the internet myth/rumour" is back, its now quickly debunked over a thousand times by over a thousand people. It's like this really cool thing brought back in a really annoying form and nothing really reaches that status of "legend" anymore?

Diablo 1 money cheats were a thing; if you pick up an item (godly plate) while clicking a red pot on your belt at the same time, the game malfunctions and makes the red pot you clicked on your belt, as (godly plate), assuming the game could only register one "hand" item at a time.

My cousin who's now a teacher in germany, used to tell the uninformed "Hey bud, I can dupe your items and gold but you gotta drop them all on this one tile", and they'd agree. He'd then pick up all their loot, casuallly tell them "Ok see ya" and log off. It was a funny story but it was only half the glitch.

Diablo 1 was pretty poopy when it came to anti-cheats anyway, the point is, the GLITCH WAS REAL. After hearing his story, and getting pretty mad at how mouse-driven diablo 1 was (cuz my mouse kept breaking) I'd go to multiplayercheats.de, downloaded a trainer, spent a few hours going into games, turning PVP on and telewalking thru maps to kill players, or kill diablo too fast to boot everyone back into the lobby.

I was pretty miserable back then too, but I don't consider it a "Dark-arc" or anything

you are a big,big pervert.You have unbridled fantasy!!!

ansel

idk about within 5 yrs, feels like existing trends just intensified. covid really scrambled everything & idk if theres been enough time to figure it out.

internet sucks now. it really feels like you used to be able to go online & forget. then there was facebook & twitter & you had to go there cause that's where the "real people" were. now all the real people are online & they never leave. it's tempting to say "it sux cause everything's political now" but i've only ever known a post-9/11 web and the shockwaves are still reverberating. going online has always been a politically charged experience where some jackoff could start posting osama bin laden herka derka derka gifs at any moment

smartphones changed everything for the worse. the early web was just words & pictures in a frame on your desk & you looked at it basically like you looked at a printed page. when autoplaying videos came along (via flash player) people complained about it bitterly — now every app-that-used-to-be-a-website is on your phone in your pocket just waiting to blast fuclking garbage at you instantly on login & it doesn't stop, ever. you click the mute button, it unmutes itself the next day. you pick the "following" feed, it picks "for you" again asap. you are constantly railroaded directly towards the absolute worst shit and your options for curation are mostly illusory. its like a gross greasy little crystal ball that you have to touch & stroke constantly to appease it while it shows you physically repulsive imagery, advertising & amber alerts. wtf :duckseason:

Quote from: Factoryshut up you skinny white ugly prick

Jon

can't tell if the internets less or more vitriolic since my youth. encyclopedia dramatica seems kind of antiquated now but now there's 'lolcowfarm.com' and stuff like that. i don't remember all the political incel stuff either

BluPhoenix

[12:59 AM] elm: yea honestly if you dont want to cum on elmer fudds bald head whats wrong with you
[07:49.46] <+slack> cum erupts from the dick at an alarming rate
[07:49.59] <+slack> it will blast off and slap the wall at like 40 mph

systech

the tumblr exodus happened ~5 years ago

this combined with the increasing centralization of the internet in which we all let ourselves be herded into apps,I believe, has been nothing but bad for the internet at large
<+fawx> im trying to animate a dick coming out of a toaster how do i go on about doing this
<~rtil> well fawx what you would do is delete the fla and do something productive instead

<+ansel> i lure children into my van with candy and then i read them passages from 'the origin of species'
<%ropesnake> billy con ends with billy raping his cat
<+billymonks> FUCK YOU BUG

<~rtil> ya one time i gave this hobo some cat food and he ate it like the animal he is it pleased me

rtil

Quote from: systech on October 17, 2023 06:23 PMthe tumblr exodus happened ~5 years ago

this combined with the increasing centralization of the internet in which we all let ourselves be herded into apps,I believe, has been nothing but bad for the internet at large
this is why we must return to monke and continue poasting on boomer boards