Animation Schools

Started by jjjjjjjjjj, September 29, 2008 12:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

|

f0d

Quote from: J_SolidseedAs far as I know, most art/animation private schools that cost $500000000000000 are bullshit.
But I do want to get into a public school, and learn actual basic construction of cartoon animation and etc.
What universities or colleges are there that make you learn how to animate/draw/etc that are public or at least don't cost me my fucking life to pay off?

this part depends on where you live and how far away from home you are planning on living

my expertise is california schools because i applied to a bunch here with your exact thoughts in mind. i know a few good colleges around here for what you're looking for. if you have great grades and writing ability, you can apply to UCLA, which is what i did. i got into the college of letters and sciences and spent my first 2 years completing all of my general education as an undeclared. this allowed me to take the graduate level animation courses as an undergraduate. i then applied and got accepted into the film major. if you want to go more of an art route, you can apply to the art school or the design and media arts major which they also have here. as far as price, its more expensive than other public schools but cheaper than the majority of private schools or art schools.

if you're looking for a less competitive public school in CA, i highly recommend san francisco state. its cheap, easy to get into, and has a pretty good film school with an animation program. there are also good community college programs and such throughout california if you want to go really cheap.

if you're looking outside of CA, talk to someone else  
I have more of a life writing this review at 1145 pm than you guys do making these movies. . .

jjjjjjjjjj

#21
Wow f0d, thanx for the great suggestions. I live in Texas, so it's not that far away. I'm trying to leave Texas anyways :P

EDIT:

Hey, how is UCLA? So far, San Francisco State looks easy, cheap and has a film school AND animation class. Also, can you have 2 majors you are going for? And does animation school teach you construction, and slowly build you up to good really stuff?

f0d

#22
Quote from: J_SolidseedHey, how is UCLA? So far, San Francisco State looks easy, cheap and has a film school AND animation class. Also, can you have 2 majors you are going for? And does animation school teach you construction, and slowly build you up to good really stuff?
you're right, san fran state is fairly easy and cheap even for out of state students. the animation class is a part of the film school, so you can get a film major with an emphasis in animation. i have no idea what their art program is like though, and you would still need to take 2 years of general education before applying to the major.

UCLA is definitely very different. its EXTREMELY competitive. ill put it this way, more people apply to UCLA than any other college in the country, but only around 23% get accepted. and thats just to the larger university. the film school is really tough... it's undergraduate program is rated number 1 in the country, every bit as competitive as USC and NYU. they accept 30 people per year, 15 transfers and 15 from within UCLA. if you're already a UCLA student, your chances of getting in are around 10%. if you're a transfer, its closer to 1%. that sounds discouraging but if you just say "fuck the statistics, im going for it" like i did, who knows things might work out. and in any case, you can still do animation even if you have another major. like i said, you could major in art or design and media arts and still take the animation courses no problem. they let anyone who is a UCLA student take them. they start out with absolute beginner material in the intro class... you don't need to be able to draw well, you just have to be willing to put in the work to make a 15 second film on pencil and paper. they then move on to more advanced stuff in the B and C class. ive already finished those, so they may even let me move on to the graduate 3D animation courses

the price at UCLA may be a problem for you though... it basically doubles for out of state students. its still around half as much as USC and even less if you live off campus, but im not gonna lie its expensive as fuck. as for 2 majors, they do not allow you to double major if you're in film. you'll have enough on your plate as it is. you can always minor in something else though
I have more of a life writing this review at 1145 pm than you guys do making these movies. . .

jjjjjjjjjj

Quote from: f0dUCLA is definitely very different. its EXTREMELY competitive.

Well, I have a few choices in mind right now (Priority first):
University of Austin
San Francisco State
UCLA
Community college with animation somewhere in California

At least one of these four will have to take me in :(
I'm trying to find animation/film schools so not only I can animate, but make real movies as well. It'll be a lot of work, but I don't mind as long as I do all work stuff first. I really want to make movies, but some of my ideas and stories can only be shown in animation. Money won't be much of a problem for me, but getting into the school will. I'm about to graduate too :(:(:(

Also: what do you do f0d? Are you still in school or did you find a internship or what?





sQueef

I decided to get a career as a teacher and just do art courses to help me get better but keep it as a hobby. My life goal is to get a PhD in something, anything, just so I can be like "Yeah im a Doctor bitch suck my fucen dick" basically.
Oh, wretched ephemeral race ... why do you compel me to tell you what it would be most expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is utterly beyond your reach: not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. But the second best for you is—to die soon.

FrozenSheep

Quote from: SqueefI decided to get a career as a teacher and just do art courses to help me get better but keep it as a hobby. My life goal is to get a PhD in something, anything, just so I can be like "Yeah im a Doctor bitch suck my fucen dick" basically.

If I was going to pick a career just for the PhD title, I'd go for something in relation to psychology.
I'd actually love to go to school for it, but I don't think I have the patience or money for ten years of schooling.

f0d

Quote from: J_Solidseed
Quote from: f0dUCLA is definitely very different. its EXTREMELY competitive.
Well, I have a few choices in mind right now (Priority first):
University of Austin
San Francisco State
UCLA
Community college with animation somewhere in California
i take it when you say "university of austin" you mean "university of texas at austin"
i read into it a little bit and i guess you can get a certificate in animation there as well as a film major. their film program is good. thats a nice option but not if you want to leave texas.
in terms of CA community colleges, i highly recommend checking out santa barbara city college and its "SOMA" program. the school itself is one of the best community colleges in the country in terms of transfers to UC schools. the campus is unbelievable, right by the beach and constantly a sunny and warm 70 degrees even in winter. having taken some of their film and animation classes i can tell you they are up to snuff, nearly as good as the stuff ive taken at ucla.

Quote from: J_SolidseedI'm trying to find animation/film schools so not only I can animate, but make real movies as well. It'll be a lot of work, but I don't mind as long as I do all work stuff first. I really want to make movies, but some of my ideas and stories can only be shown in animation. Money won't be much of a problem for me, but getting into the school will. I'm about to graduate too :(:(:(
san fran and ucla are PERFECT if you want to do live action in addition to animation. at both schools, your junior year will be spent doing live action production and your senior year will be spent doing animation

Quote from: J_SolidseedAlso: what do you do f0d? Are you still in school or did you find a internship or what?
i'm in my first year at the UCLA film school. so far its pretty cool. will get an internship eventually
I have more of a life writing this review at 1145 pm than you guys do making these movies. . .

sQueef

Quote from: FrozenSheep
Quote from: SqueefI decided to get a career as a teacher and just do art courses to help me get better but keep it as a hobby. My life goal is to get a PhD in something, anything, just so I can be like "Yeah im a Doctor bitch suck my fucen dick" basically.

If I was going to pick a career just for the PhD title, I'd go for something in relation to psychology.
I'd actually love to go to school for it, but I don't think I have the patience or money for ten years of schooling.
I have much more interest in History and Philosophy than Psychology personally.
Oh, wretched ephemeral race ... why do you compel me to tell you what it would be most expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is utterly beyond your reach: not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. But the second best for you is—to die soon.

jjjjjjjjjj

Oh man, these are great man. Thanks. Now at least I have a good idea on where to go.

rtil

lmao is your ava from aachi and ssipak

FrozenSheep

Quote from: Squeef
Quote from: FrozenSheep
Quote from: SqueefI decided to get a career as a teacher and just do art courses to help me get better but keep it as a hobby. My life goal is to get a PhD in something, anything, just so I can be like "Yeah im a Doctor bitch suck my fucen dick" basically.

If I was going to pick a career just for the PhD title, I'd go for something in relation to psychology.
I'd actually love to go to school for it, but I don't think I have the patience or money for ten years of schooling.
Philosophy

This too. Anyway, good luck.
Keeping art as a hobby will probably be great since you will have more freedom with it but with a job you'll feel more accomplished. You are also forced to improve.

jjjjjjjjjj

Quote from: rtillmao is your ava from aachi and ssipak


Rugrats, lol.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdwG7UHzPfM

f0d

#32
Quote from: J_SolidseedOh man, these are great man. Thanks. Now at least I have a good idea on where to go.
good stuff, yea apply to all of them and at least one of them will work out.

for me back when i applied to colleges as a senior in high school, i had a REALLY tough decision to make. san francisco state not only accepted me, but gave me a full ride scholarship. UCLA accepted me, but didnt give me much money and had a much more competitive program with a slim chance of making it. i still ended up choosing UCLA because of the prestige, the alumnis, the connections in hollywood and such. everyone i talked to told me to go for my gut instinct regardless of what anyone else said. i cant even begin to tell you how hard it was to turn down that full ride, but im actually very glad i did in hindsight. right when i first got to UCLA, the workshop for the film major told me these exact words: "the odds of getting in are less than 10%, so basically don't get your hopes up, chances are you won't be accepted." that just made me want to work twice as hard as everyone else to actually get in, and it worked.

so just keep in mind when you're choosing where to go that money should never be an issue. choose the school that will best help you accomplish what you want to accomplish, then work your fucking ass off making movies and getting good grades so you really stand out when you apply to film. if you need to get a student loan, so be it.

and hell, if you really want, you could go to a community college for your first two years and simply transfer to san fran state or UCLA. its all up to you.

just keep this in mind: don't let anyone tell you its impossible or you cant do it, not even me. even if you don't get accepted, there are numerous other ways to get into the industry. it may not seem like it now but even these forums could end up acting as networking for your future career
I have more of a life writing this review at 1145 pm than you guys do making these movies. . .

mishkamash

oooooooooooooo num nums
<lenko> i saw a hedgehog on the way home if i was drunk i would have yelled IM DOCTOR RRRRROBOTNIK and chased it 

jjjjjjjjjj

#34
Man f0d, thank you so much.
I don't mind getting a student load at all, even if it means working it off for a bomba clot load of time (hopefully, not my whole life). I just didn't want to go to those $50,000 film/animation schools, where most of them work for people instead of actually making their own films. I really want to do both film and animation, since I love both arts so much.  Even if I don't, I'll just be independent and make my own stuff like Robert Rodriguez or something.

f0d

I have more of a life writing this review at 1145 pm than you guys do making these movies. . .

adamant

Quote from: f0dbomba clot load
lmao

jjjjjjjjjj

Damn it rtil and your silly word filters

CyTh

f0d\\\'s "speeches" were embarrassingly stupid. There are way better resources out there than this place, come on...

Anyways, I don\\\'t know too much about these colleges, but if anything, I recommend San Francisco State for animation and arts. I\\\'ve heard a lot about it corresponding with the animation programs and all.

Also, University of Austin at Texas would be good because their clock tower is the site of the 1966 massacre in which sniper Charles Whitman shot and killed fourteen before being shot by Austin police. That\\\'s a big part of history which would be nice to see from a modern-day view.

Quote from: rtillmao is your ava from aachi and ssipak

Wow...

f0d

Quote from: CyThf0d's "speeches" were embarrassingly stupid. There are way better resources out there than this place, come on...
yeah im sure the ronald rangers or barney bunch is a much better networking tool than tba
I have more of a life writing this review at 1145 pm than you guys do making these movies. . .

|