Some New Shyat

Started by YungJazz, March 29, 2008 12:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

MRat

What Rtil just said. Plus, big bag.
I was gone, FOR SO LONG

YungJazz

Thanks for the advice, ya'll. I'm definately listening to what you guys have to say. I know my style has a ways to go, and I'm working on it. I guess really, there's no such thing as not having any roots in other art forms, but I do want to have a tradmark style that people will recognize as my own. Up to this point, my animation has been really stiff, and I've opted to trade still prettyness for slick animation, so that should be a change of pace. I'm still pretty new to animation, but I'm getting there. Just make sure that if there's anything at all you see that can be improved, you tell me, and I'll try to work on it (If it's reasonable  ).


I warned you, stupid.

Napalmgrrl

Quote from: MRatWhat Rtil just said. Plus, big bag.

I second that.  Personally I enjoy anime...If I ever get good at the style and get tired at it I'll move on to something different.  I still haven't ditched my old style either, why?  Its like acquiring more tools in one's artistic tool belt.  And I urge Yungjazz not to ditch anime altogether either.  He might want to use it later on. One never knows when one might need a screwdriver or a hammer - keep um around. ^_~

MRat

Jazz, here's a thought. It's surprising to alot of people, though I think it's pretty obvious. Don't try for style. Go and learn art. Principles, fundamentals. Learn how it is, and style will find you on it's own. Your style, at this stage in your development really shouldn't be your focus, in my opinion.
I was gone, FOR SO LONG

f0d

Quote from: rtilif you're talking about stiffer character models, that's a cultural thing. the japanese people are very streamlined and strict - they stay on-model consistently and are afraid to deviate from it because, well, culturally speaking, they're not a devious people.

but as far as anime as an animation medium being a limited technique, i'd definitely have to disagree with you. many japanese directors have been ten thousand times more ambitious than western cartoons as of late.

i'm sure you've heard of the films paprika, or spirited away. do these films defeat the purpose of animation? for me, they define everything great about animation. vastly colorful and fully imagined worlds with things we will never see in this life. amazing animation, great character designs, and solid yet fluid movement.

perhaps you've been watching the wrong animes, and there are plenty of wrong ones to be watching. but i do not think anime limits an animator. the only thing that limits an animator is his imagination, not his style.
ive seen spirited away and princess mononoke and others like those. i definitely enjoyed them. amazingly detailed and well done, they take full advantage of the medium of both cinema and animation. i thought that director did a tremendous job.

but i was more referring to amateurs using anime as their animation style. since most artists aren't as amazingly talented as the people who do the really good animes like spirited away, they will start off making stiff, uninspired anime thats more like the dragonball Z stuff we see on TV. they only do it because anime is so "cool" in the art world right now.

i guess its just the style itself that gets to me. the big eyes, tiny nose, strange expressions. anime humor bugs me more than anything else. "desu kawaiii XD." that humor, and the type of people that enjoy that humor, reaaally get on my nerves. otakus are annoying as shit, and you have to be around them constantly when you're trying to break into the animation industry. although i hear they're a whole lot worse in japan than the wapanese wannabes we get here.
I have more of a life writing this review at 1145 pm than you guys do making these movies. . .

YungJazz

I don't think there's anything worse than wannabes lol...

Yea, I did anime really because I did comics and still art first. But I know animation needs a lot more than just drawings. I really like some anime, that really grimy Cowboy Bebop/ Afro Samurai and even that Hayao Mizazaki shit is raw to me. I love it (When it's good) But I also love the devotion to movement and life in some western works, so I want to take the good in both with future works. I'm hoping my trademark with form itself as time goes on.


I warned you, stupid.

rtil

well f0d if you were referring to little devintartlets i wouldn't have even bothered saying all that lmao
those kinds of animators always need to start with simple shapes to learn weight and movement.. starting with something like anime is a recipe for disaster. and we have witnessed that many a time on newgrounds and many other places

psi43

Quote from: rtilperhaps you've been watching the wrong animes, and there are plenty of wrong ones to be watching.


I already told you but here's it again for everyone else:

Ever since I got pay TV I got a new program called Animax, anime 24/7. 2 or 3 (.hack, hellsing and tenjo tenge or something, which isn't too good) of the about 30 animes are ok to good. The others are utter shit.

trent bortknob

i think i used to say all animes are gay but thats because i kept thinking about just the fanbase and not the actual cartoon

f0d

Quote from: taylori think i used to say all animes are gay but thats because i kept thinking about just the fanbase and not the actual cartoon
same
I have more of a life writing this review at 1145 pm than you guys do making these movies. . .

|