I'd like to start designing a game

Started by mishkamash, March 24, 2008 08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

mishkamash

like an role playing game or something but i don't know how to start, but i know you have to use action script on flash
i'll be working on it solo
to be honest i'm more interested in making games than cartooning right now, so i just need to know how to start


 
<lenko> i saw a hedgehog on the way home if i was drunk i would have yelled IM DOCTOR RRRRROBOTNIK and chased it 

sQueef

I'd like to make some nifty flash games too except I'm shit at coding so yeah. And I guess you could rip code off of other games but still...

All I know is you need MovieClips with instance names and shit and yeah. Like, you need to make a run cycle and a walk cycle and such, and enemies, and all this... :/

okay I really don't know shit about it haha
Oh, wretched ephemeral race ... why do you compel me to tell you what it would be most expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is utterly beyond your reach: not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. But the second best for you is—to die soon.

Gerkinman

RPG Maker VX is out now, from what ive used its a step up from the previous version. Tho getting your own assets into the game seems harder then i remember.

rtil

find a desperate programmer and try to sell your idea to him. chances are he'll disappear off the face of the planet halfway through production but oh what the hell

psi43

I can do stop(); and use behaviors really good. I will code it for you.

Tealon

Quote from: ΨNicoleI can do stop(); and use behaviors really good. I will code it for you.

I can do stop(); better than you.
I should put something funny here.

psi43

I can make an action scripted mirror, that you can move around. I haven't tried yet, but I know how I can do it and I am pretty sure it'd work.

sQueef

stop();
on(release){
gotoandplay(hammertime);
}      

I'm fucking gay
Oh, wretched ephemeral race ... why do you compel me to tell you what it would be most expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is utterly beyond your reach: not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. But the second best for you is—to die soon.

Tealon

Quote from: ΨNicoleI can make an action scripted mirror, that you can move around. I haven't tried yet, but I know how I can do it and I am pretty sure it'd work.

I'm confused at what you mean.
Clarify by doodle?
It sounds interesting.
I should put something funny here.

billy

I can tell you everything you need to know.

billy

#10
OnClipEvent(load){}
and
OnClipEvent(enterFrame){}

thank me later when your awesome game is a realization.

Sorry for double post.

Thor

I know a bit of coding. The way I learned was to start with a simple choose your own adventure game , and from there I went onto building a physics engine and a game (yeah yeah I know, the walls are screwy and the level design sucks).

If I were you, I'd try out making a choose your own adventure game first. Not just the "onPress = function () { gotoAndStop ("frame"); }" stuff, but try to include some boolean variables which affect what you can choose in the game.

There's also coders on the albinoblacksheep forums (absforums.com) in the flash section that could... uhh.... use some help in the graphics department. I'm sure they'd be willing to team up with an artist (I prefer working in teams, actually, since you can bounce ideas off of each other to make awesome stuff)

mishkamash

i have sketches of what i wanna make i'll post it as soon as i get home

and yeah it's gonna be an rpg
<lenko> i saw a hedgehog on the way home if i was drunk i would have yelled IM DOCTOR RRRRROBOTNIK and chased it 

sQueef

:/

I'd rather make a side-scrolling shoot em' up because I always have more fun shooting shit than reading text.
Oh, wretched ephemeral race ... why do you compel me to tell you what it would be most expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is utterly beyond your reach: not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. But the second best for you is—to die soon.

mishkamash

Quote from: Squeef:/

I'd rather make a side-scrolling shoot em' up because I always have more fun shooting shit than reading text.
I know what you mean, and i don't plan on using text in the game, because most rpgs are annoying just because of it

but i'd like to know how to make an rpg on flash and see what i can accomplish after knowing i can do it
<lenko> i saw a hedgehog on the way home if i was drunk i would have yelled IM DOCTOR RRRRROBOTNIK and chased it 

FG_SPace

aren't there mountains of tutorials on NG where you can just copy the codes out of and paste em in?

billy

#16
If you want to learn how to do any type of game send me an im. I'll try to make a bunch of new tutorials alongside my new game so people can see how I did everything. Hopefully it will be a lot of help to you.

I have two tutorials on anipedia right now and they would make a good starting point.

http://anipedia.thebackalleys.com/index.ph...ne_ActionScript
http://anipedia.thebackalleys.com/index.ph...Script_Movement

mishkamash

Quote from: FG_SPacearen't there mountains of tutorials on NG where you can just copy the codes out of and paste em in?
but i don't want to copy paste stuff i don't even know about

and billy i will later
<lenko> i saw a hedgehog on the way home if i was drunk i would have yelled IM DOCTOR RRRRROBOTNIK and chased it 

sQueef

I Always wanted to make a recreation of this old game called "Shining Force" and turn it into "Shining Farce" and make it a silly parody and stuff but that would take a lot of time and preferably a team of people who know wtf they are even doing. But yeah.
Oh, wretched ephemeral race ... why do you compel me to tell you what it would be most expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is utterly beyond your reach: not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. But the second best for you is—to die soon.

mishkamash

ok here's a quick monster ref sheet i made in school today

[attachment=1076:CCI00050.PNG]
i've made them names but they might change as i make this

A- Newground Knight
B- Ghoul
C- Drain Ghoul
D- Boogey
E- dunno yet
F- Dynomite
G- Ego-worm
H- Demi
I- Scrabber
J- Anti-Slug
K- dunno yet

also CrzyKittyHero get on
<lenko> i saw a hedgehog on the way home if i was drunk i would have yelled IM DOCTOR RRRRROBOTNIK and chased it