upgrade forum and fix broken shit?

Started by rtil, March 21, 2018 04:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rtil

my host did some shitty """"upgrade"""" to their servers in december which utterly fucked some shit i was able to fix some of it but things like quick reply are probably permabroken unless i move to the newest version of simplemachine forums. probably won't have time to do any of that until the summer but if there's any interest i'll put it on my to-do list. on the other hand forums are dedgaem b/c discord so i don't see the point unless people are actually gonna post on it.

cipher

i still prefer it here. too many people i don't know on discord so i don't visit much anymore

i miss you guys :(

I also don't really care if you fix it or not, it works well enough.

Bamyasi

Still waiting on the commemorative coffee table book chronicling the history of this place.

rtil

that's a failed kickstarter project in the making

never too late to get to know all the fresh blood on discord ;)

redmongoose

whatever u want man (the quick reply button was useful tho tbh)
Quote from: Inaxisdo u have a problem, bastard?!

nuac_

I'm notably stupid so forgive me but:
1)Whats wrong with moving this all to a host like godaddy?
2)Why are you with your current host?

you are a big,big pervert.You have unbridled fantasy!!!

rtil

if i was ever going to move hosts the last company i'd consider is godaddy but migrating could cause just as many if not more problems than i already have. plus i would have to move like 600gb of shit and i'm just not in the mood to deal with that

i have been using the same hosting company for almost a decade and i've rarely if ever had major issues with them, they just happened to fuck up badly in december

SrsSam77

We should kidnap Basket and get him to brap out a new TBA in 5 minutes with ruby on rails

rtil

ruby is gay cuz i don't understand it

SrsSam77

That's why they made ruby on rails and that's why basket is currently living in a 5243 sq ft mansion in the beijing foothills enjoying ancient christian texts and microbrews right now

rtil

psi43

I can take a look at what's currently bugged and try to fix it, if you want me to. Assuming this thing still runs largely on PHP

edit: that being said, when I do take a look at it, I would have to build a new doremi skin and have users use that as a default.

rtil

ok deal

and yes it does. the version of smf is horribly outdated

psi43

I'm assuming that there isn't a repository on git or hg for this forum that I could pull and go through the code?

rtil

you'd have to check simplemachines website to see, i'm not sure. honestly i don't know if there's something wrong with the source code. back in december, my host did some "server maintenance" and when the site came back up online the forums were fucked and everything was throwing 500 errors. when it came back, a ton of shit was broken, like quickreply and prettyurls. i could never figure out what went wrong, but to be fair i didn't look very hard either.