The state of contemporary game journalism

Started by Bamyasi, August 19, 2014 06:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bamyasi

Breaking news: it's really terrible but I'm curious to hear your opinion, especially in light of recent events.

rtil

SrsSam77

rtil

Quote from: SrsSam77 on August 19, 2014 06:35 AM
Quote from: rtil on August 19, 2014 06:31 AM
Quote from: Bamyasi on August 19, 2014 06:11 AMrecent events.

what did i miss?
>not knowing about five guys

i'm guessing we're not talking about the burger joint

i don't pay attention to gaming "journalism"

SrsSam77

There don't seem to be any good articles up but if you lurk on /v/ or /pol/ a good thread will come up.
What happened is some SJW released a game called "depression quest":http://store.steampowered.com/app/270170/ (was 5 dollars but has mysteriously changed to free since I checked on it yesterday)
The SJW wants good reviews for the game, so she fucks 5 editors/reviewers at kotaku, and now shit is hitting the fan on /v/

also please leave a user tag for the game saying "5 guys" or "burgers" to spread awareness of the incident
:EDIT:
the reviews on the steam page should tell you all you need to know

Bamyasi

Here's annoying 24 minute video all about it:

Quinnspiracy Theory: The Five Guys Saga

I didn't watch the whole thing but it seems like the most comprehensive report so far, since major outlets aren't covering it for mysterious reasons. It's funny because everyone already knew game journalists/staff writers at Kotaku were prostitutes, just not literal prostitutes.

Also this thing with Xseed happened. That's less to do with journalism and more just SJW's being SJW's, but the two overlap conspicuously. I care more about this because like ohmygah my precious weeb games. Xseed has consistently released more faithful translations than say NISA, Idea Factory or Carpe Fulger and I hope they don't stop now.

Quote from: rtil on August 19, 2014 07:31 AM
i don't pay attention to gaming "journalism"
You and me both. Since andriasang closed down I only occasionally browse Siliconera and a few others. I refuse to give the major ones revenue.

redmongoose

Quote from: Inaxisdo u have a problem, bastard?!

rtil

Quote from: SrsSam77 on August 19, 2014 07:38 AM
There don't seem to be any good articles up but if you lurk on /v/ or /pol/ a good thread will come up.
What happened is some SJW released a game called "depression quest":http://store.steampowered.com/app/270170/ (was 5 dollars but has mysteriously changed to free since I checked on it yesterday)
The SJW wants good reviews for the game, so she fucks 5 editors/reviewers at kotaku, and now shit is hitting the fan on /v/

also please leave a user tag for the game saying "5 guys" or "burgers" to spread awareness of the incident
:EDIT:
the reviews on the steam page should tell you all you need to know
they do, and so do the screenshots

i wouldn't even go to /pol/ just to check for a specific thread but i did see quite a few on /v/, there's not really a whole lot to talk about regarding the issue though so i'm pretty sure all talking points are spent

Quote from: Bamyasi on August 19, 2014 07:49 AM
Here's annoying 24 minute video all about it:

Quinnspiracy Theory: The Five Guys Saga

I didn't watch the whole thing but it seems like the most comprehensive report so far, since major outlets aren't covering it for mysterious reasons. It's funny because everyone already knew game journalists/staff writers at Kotaku were prostitutes, just not literal prostitutes.
i watched the whole thing. the guy gets a bit dramatic about it later on the video, talking about how somehow this girl has ruined gaming for everyone like this is the end of an epoch or something. give me a fucking break. it's a bit ironic because he's blowing the issue out of proportion like many of the gaming gossip sites he criticizes.

also he talks about how the game shouldn't be on steam because it's bad, as if steam ever gave a shit about quality products being put onto its marketplace. there are truckloads of garbage games on steam, and many of them try to get a lot more out of you than $5.

i don't think anyone will be talking about this in 2 weeks and in a few months it will be entirely forgotten. Kotaku was shit before this and it will continue to be shit. the more people who stop giving them traffic the better, but clickbait works and there are plenty of people who just don't give a shit.

Also this thing with Xseed happened. That's less to do with journalism and more just SJW's being SJW's, but the two overlap conspicuously. I care more about this because like ohmygah my precious weeb games. Xseed has consistently released more faithful translations than say NISA, Idea Factory or Carpe Fulger and I hope they don't stop now.

another classic case of 'your rights end where my feelings begin' pc bullshit. this is why twitter is a double edged sword as a social platform.

Gilthwixt

Unfortunate Confession: I read kotaku sometimes, it's a bad habit from like '07 that I never really kicked. The funny thing is, I had to look up who Nathan Grayson was because I didn't recognize his name, and it's because all his articles are trash and I've somehow managed skipping all of them just by subject matter alone. The irony is that this sort of drama is exactly the kind of clickbait shit that Kotaku likes to cover, so it's going to be real amusing to see whether they refuse to acknowledge it or cannibalize Grayson over this. I'm going to guess that they sack him, because it's not like he was contributing much anyway, unless someone higher up at Kotaku is one of the two unnamed other Five Guys. Did the ex-boyfriend ever name the other two? They've been [redacted] by the time he posted the TL;DR.

I think sleeping with Arnott and especially Boggs is more fucked up, but of course everyone's going to focus on the Kotaku editor because it's a recognizable blog. rtil's right though, this is the kind of shit that everyone will be up in arms about for a couple weeks then forget about.

soup

what a confusing and sordid affair that makes me care even less about "gaming journalism" than i did before

"He was shown the smallness and tinsel emptiness of the little Earth gods, with their petty, human interests and connections - their hatreds, rages, loves and vanities; their craving for praise and sacrifice and their demands for faiths contrary to reason and nature."

"...it stimulates the part of the brain called "shatners-bassoon", and that's the bit of the brain that deals with...time perception..."

SrsSam77

shitgo raptor supports the deception, why don't you?

crackers

why are people actually talking about this, its just like being back at school when 'aw such and such was shagging such and such behind the breadbin', fuck up daft cunts

SrsSam77

Quote from: crackers on August 19, 2014 10:55 PM
why are people actually talking about this, its just like being back at school when 'aw such and such was shagging such and such behind the breadbin', fuck up daft cunts
It's much more than that, it's common people finally being able to stand up to shitty journalism and point out the corruption eating away at the industry and from there the shitty journalists and political agendas in a hope to oust them.

Bamyasi

Quote from: redmongoose on August 19, 2014 10:57 AM
this game is boring

Quote from: rtil on August 19, 2014 11:39 AM
i watched the whole thing. the guy gets a bit dramatic about it later on the video, talking about how somehow this girl has ruined gaming for everyone like this is the end of an epoch or something. give me a fucking break. it's a bit ironic because he's blowing the issue out of proportion like many of the gaming gossip sites he criticizes.

also he talks about how the game shouldn't be on steam because it's bad, as if steam ever gave a shit about quality products being put onto its marketplace. there are truckloads of garbage games on steam, and many of them try to get a lot more out of you than $5.

i don't think anyone will be talking about this in 2 weeks and in a few months it will be entirely forgotten. Kotaku was shit before this and it will continue to be shit. the more people who stop giving them traffic the better, but clickbait works and there are plenty of people who just don't give a shit.
Yeah I mean it's important to remember that dramaqueens like InternetAristocrat, Thunderfoot, etc. profit off this stuff too in a way, even if they don't monetize. It's definitely tabloid-tier gossip that will dissipate quickly, but regardless of whether it's true or not (which is inconsequential), it has given people an excuse to talk about problems with the industry, even if they're not the real problems (which they aren't), or the same problems they've been talking about for years. Hopefully an overblown non-event like this will inspire an attitude of reflection once the theatrics die down (one can only dream), which is why I made this thread, not to talk about some silly love hexagon (which really isn't anyone's business anyway), but because you guys are much more level-headed and laid-back than most netizens I know. I need you guys for that.

It also gives us an excuse to talk about problems with the independent business model but I would defer any opinions on that to people who've actually worked in the industry.

zwimmy

rtil

Quote from: Bamyasi on August 20, 2014 12:22 AM
Yeah I mean it's important to remember that dramaqueens like InternetAristocrat, Thunderfoot, etc. profit off this stuff too in a way, even if they don't monetize. It's definitely tabloid-tier gossip that will dissipate quickly, but regardless of whether it's true or not (which is inconsequential), it has given people an excuse to talk about problems with the industry, even if they're not the real problems (which they aren't), or the same problems they've been talking about for years. Hopefully an overblown non-event like this will inspire an attitude of reflection once the theatrics die down (one can only dream), which is why I made this thread, not to talk about some silly love hexagon (which really isn't anyone's business anyway), but because you guys are much more level-headed and laid-back than most netizens I know. I need you guys for that.

It also gives us an excuse to talk about problems with the independent business model but I would defer any opinions on that to people who've actually worked in the industry.

thunderfoot's obsession with anita sarkeesian is a little creepy. and he does make money off of those videos.

this whole five guys thing is part of a larger problem, but it's a problem that will probably always exist in some capacity. because there's always going to be people who want to play the victim, and don't actually care about a cause. i know plenty of women in the industry who make good stuff and don't feel obligated to participate in this garbage.

Bamyasi

Oh yeah I agree but I meant problems with the industry in general, not just the "feminist" influence.

It just seems like that dialogue has reached its little boiling point so now we can all kick back and talk about other things, like what we want from the medium.

Binary_2

I want a rating based on how fun a game is compared to deus ex: HR.

zwimmy

Ferguson Missouri has become the new Tiananmen Square, islamofascists are taking over Iraq and Syria, and the ebola outbreak shows no sign of stopping and you faggots are talking about this shit