@user mentions and notifications

Started by rtil, July 31, 2014 01:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rtil

the forum now has two new major features: an alert system and a user mentioning system. if you want to refer to a user directly, use the @ symbol followed by their name, and you'll get a list of users to mention. this works anywhere on the forum! the API will take care of the rest for you when you select your desired username, like this: @rtil !

the alert system works as you browse and should pop-up notifications on the top right corner. you can dismiss them or follow up on them as you please. you will be notified when someone:

• mentions you
  • quoted your post
  • gave you a pizza point
  • sent you a personal message
  • adds you as a friend

you can change alert settings in your profile. i will also be adding a system later on that allows you to like individual posts, but it will take a little longer to set up. it will also be included in notifications.

i just installed these so they might not work perfectly yet, so if you notice any bugs or something not working, let me know.

rtil

i'm disabling alerts for now because of an annoying bug. however, you can still tag people with @. you can see who has mentioned you here.

rtil

if someone @mentions you, it will appear here. in the near future, you'll receive a notification tab on the top right when you visit the forum, with a link to the post where you were mentioned.

remember that for the tag to work, after you type the @ symbol, you should see a list of names appear. start typing and press enter when it finds the one you're looking for. the tag will be created when the post is made.

rtil

i've re-enabled the notifications. they should act relatively normally for now. every once in a while you might see a duplicate notification, but it should go away quickly. i'm trying to figure out a way to stop that from happening completely, but in the meantime if you've seen an alert it should go away no later than 5 minutes after you saw it.

rtil

Quote from: basketweaver on August  4, 2014 03:19 AM
Is it possible to make it so that you can give pizza points to someone for a specific post? For example like:

"I really love olives"
- basketWeaver received two pizza points for this post. (link)

this will be implemented in the future with the likes system. i don't know if i can merge the likes with the pizza points, but i will try. it's a 3rd party plugin with a lot of complicated code involving smf hooks. i don't completely understand it yet

Bamyasi

rtil I know this is your site and everything and I appreciate the effort you put in to making the front end fun and pleasurable to use and we are all just dolls in your playhouse but I'm just wondering...

...why a likes system?

rtil

that's just the name of the plugin. i don't really see what's so bad about "karma" for individual posts, a system that has been utilized in forums before facebook turned it into pop culture lexicon.

Bamyasi

rtil

basketweaver

rtil

i've disabled alerts again.. they're not working properly. please pardon any weird layout changes while i fix it

basketweaver

crackers

rtil

i've re-enabled the alerts system. alerts will appear in the top right corner of the page. when you click on this icon , they will be marked as read.

CoolDrMoney

I can't seem to click on the notification icon.
http://cooldrmoney.deviantart.com/

"Hmmm...."
by: SpeedyPac
date: December 1, 2007
Wade is not gay, read his profile! It's sad that you would use sexual orientation as a joke, shows that you have no real sense of humor.

rtil

Quote from: CoolDrMoney on August 28, 2014 04:14 AM
I can't seem to click on the notification icon.

it's a little layout bug i need to fix. in the meantime, make the window wider, then you should be able to click on it at some point.

edit: this should be fixed now

crackers

crackers

SrsSam77

bd648

i do like the alerts system. its easy to check in on tba for a few seconds and see if i should be involved now.
FRACTALS ARE NOT ART! IT'S MATH!
┌|°з°|┘└|°ε°|┐┌|°з°|┘└|°ε°|┐ Cheers!