Your personal Bucket List

Started by psi43, August 24, 2012 04:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flash

Quote from: Sinitron on August 29, 2012 02:28 AM
the order is a little scrambled but those are a little bit more legit than "going to japan for epic animes" or some other bullshit

i know you're exaggerating but are you really dumb enough to think that visiting a country for its culture is not valid?

Greenkitten

Quote from: Flash on August 29, 2012 04:39 PM
the order is a little scrambled but those are a little bit more legit than "going to japan for epic animes" or some other bullshit

i know you're exaggerating but are you really dumb enough to think that visiting a country for its culture is not valid?

The only valid reason to leave your country is if it is in civil war or being invaded. Every other reason is a luxury.

naturally

probably not, but i've seen enough evidence to know that he's willing to bend his logic if it comes to hating anything to do with anime.

even if it really has nothing to do with anime.

Gladius

Quote from: stusader on August 29, 2012 08:14 PM

probably not, but i've seen enough evidence to know that he's willing to bend his logic if it comes to hating anything to do with anime.

even if it really has nothing to do with anime.

:cool: lawgic
▬ஜ۩☆۩ஜ▬ ---★☆★☆★ DONALD TRUMP 2016 ★☆★☆★--- ▬ஜ۩☆۩ஜ▬

rtil

small minded people feel threatened by things they don't understand. japan is a country with a rich history, beautiful landscapes, inspiring architecture and a fascinating culture. there's nothing wrong with wanting to visit there.

bd648

There's also a heck of a lot of technological progression over there. Some fun stuff.
FRACTALS ARE NOT ART! IT'S MATH!
┌|°з°|┘└|°ε°|┐┌|°з°|┘└|°ε°|┐ Cheers!

Sinitron

Quote from: rtil on August 29, 2012 11:34 PM
small minded people feel threatened by things they don't understand. japan is a country with a rich history, beautiful landscapes, inspiring architecture and a fascinating culture. there's nothing wrong with wanting to visit there.
japan does have a fascinating array of sites and points of interest with historic relevance, but face it, just about everyone online who says they want to go to japan 'for the culture' are going for the otaku-subculture which the average japanese citizen fucking despises and wishes was just a bad dream

going to tokyo to see some place where a middle-aged prick made a comic about 10-year olds screaming and shooting eyebeams at eachother is a fucking disgrace and waste of airliner fuel

sev

otakus are a little more perverse than most of us i think

personally i'd just want to visit japan because it's responsible for a lot of what made up my childhood and some of the things i'm passionate about today. as much as i like to play the anime man though, i actually don't like modern anime as much as i let on and haven't seen an anime i've liked in quite a while.

rtil

Quote from: Sinitron on August 30, 2012 04:00 AM
Quote from: rtil on August 29, 2012 11:34 PM
japan does have a fascinating array of sites and points of interest with historic relevance, but face it, just about everyone online who says they want to go to japan 'for the culture' are going for the otaku-subculture which the average japanese citizen fucking despises and wishes was just a bad dream

going to tokyo to see some place where a middle-aged prick made a comic about 10-year olds screaming and shooting eyebeams at eachother is a fucking disgrace and waste of airliner fuel

oh yes, there are PLENTY of people here in the states that are like that.. one of my friends that did end up living in japan first started studying the language here in the states. he wanted to be a translator. most of the people in the class were just there because they were anime fans. pretty much all of them dropped out or failed. they werent' in it for the right reasons. and a lot of them probably have the wrong impression of what japanese people or japan is actually like. but i don't think anyone here is like that.

naturally

when i originally took classes i had pretty much the exact same experience as your friend. but in the end i stopped going too actually, 'cause i thought studying on my own was a lot faster and just saved a lot of effort in general.

also i'm aware of the stigma attached to wanting to go to japan, because sinitron's definitely not the first to immediately say "going for anime" or something to that effect. which i actually agree is a ridiculous reason to want to go to a country and learn the language for. there are people who hate anime and love japan though, just so you know. my ex hated anything to do with anime but liked the culture a lot. it's very apparent that i'm fond of anime, although i'd still like to defend that i'd want to go to the country regardless of whether i had that interest or not. a lot of the fanbase behind anime have pretty much made it so if you're interested in going to japan at all, it's probably something you shouldn't openly admit because people will patronize you for it.

Sinitron

a lot of japanese are xenophobic as fuck and generally don't like foreigners to begin with

there's a reason they sided with the axis powers during ww2 and why they're the only nation in history to have had atomic weapons deployed against them

does that mean i hate the culture or people? no, i get swamped by japanese tourists every year and have had pictures taken with several of them (pristine example of perfect aryan übermensch and all that)

but the fact is a lot of people go to japan for all the wrong reasons and get a hilarious kick to the face when they realize what they actually got themselves into

"i want to go to japan for the culture" is incredibly biased and stupid not just because of the whole anime bullshit, but it's also bigoted against a lot of other countries that have a very deep and rich culture

specifically singling out japan just makes you look like a colossal faggot, like singling out thailand because you've got a fucking ladyboy fetish or some shit

would i go to japan given the chance? sure, but no more than I'd go to for example peru, australia or the easter islands if given an equal opportunity to do so at my own leisure and under my own terms

hell the pyramids of egypt or great wall of china are generally far more impressive than anything else and worth visiting over some place where they eat raw fish

and come on, visiting tokyo? every big city on earth is the exact same pile of concrete garbage, regardless of whether the americans, krauts, gooks or filthy spics put the pile of crappy neon signs together

Sinitron

Quote from: W.A.S.I.M. on August 30, 2012 06:51 PM
living in sauid arabia and mastering the arabic language

sure you fucking do

Sinitron

it just struck me that a bunch of elderly japanese couples have pictures of me in their home

WTF

Greenkitten

Quote from: Sinitron on August 31, 2012 02:32 PM
it just struck me that a bunch of elderly japanese couples have pictures of me in their home

WTF

You are probably in some photo album that they bring out to show guests of their trip, when they get to you they probably laugh and point going "look how white he is" then they will probably talk about how tall and fat Americans are.

Sinitron

well the japanese loved hitler and hitler loved norway

they seemed very fascinated by the great fjords and my flowing mane of blond hair

Gladius

who let the dogs out

woof woof woof
▬ஜ۩☆۩ஜ▬ ---★☆★☆★ DONALD TRUMP 2016 ★☆★☆★--- ▬ஜ۩☆۩ஜ▬

Sheepy

Quote from: Sinitron on August 31, 2012 02:21 PM
specifically singling out japan just makes you look like a colossal faggot, like singling out thailand because you've got a fucking ladyboy fetish or some shit

Gee, thanks.

Sinitron

the point was that thailand isn't all about ladyboys you dolt

Kött

a lot of japanese are xenophobic as fuck and generally don't like foreigners to begin with

there's a reason they sided with the axis powers during ww2 and why they're the only nation in history to have had atomic weapons deployed against them

does that mean i hate the culture or people? no, i get swamped by japanese tourists every year and have had pictures taken with several of them (pristine example of perfect aryan übermensch and all that)

but the fact is a lot of people go to japan for all the wrong reasons and get a hilarious kick to the face when they realize what they actually got themselves into

"i want to go to japan for the culture" is incredibly biased and stupid not just because of the whole anime bullshit, but it's also bigoted against a lot of other countries that have a very deep and rich culture

would i go to japan given the chance? sure, but no more than I'd go to for example peru, australia or the easter islands if given an equal opportunity to do so at my own leisure and under my own terms

hell the pyramids of egypt or great wall of china are generally far more impressive than anything else and worth visiting over some place where they eat raw fish

and come on, visiting tokyo? every big city on earth is the exact same pile of concrete garbage, regardless of whether the americans, krauts, gooks or filthy spics put the pile of crappy neon signs together

Fuck

you

your

argument

is

invalid
:3

Flash

most places in the world have an interesting culture that you could spend a lifetime getting into. is it really so odd to you that we have to choose what places to visit based on our personal experiences and interests? you need to have a "connection" of sorts with wherever it is you wanna go before you just go there, specially since doing so is expensive and you can't afford to go to a place you have no repertoire to properly enjoy.

you're also forgetting that you don't just "go somewhere" unless you're an idiot (which applies to many tourists in japan like you mentioned), you make plans. i'd rather visit the chinese temples than the pyramids, and this isn't bigoted bullshit, it's personal interest and it's as valid as wanting to learn a specific language or playing a specific kind of music.

Quotehell the pyramids of egypt or great wall of china are generally far more impressive than anything else and worth visiting over some place where they eat raw fish

that's your opinion. some people have more interest in mt. fuji and the japanese architecture, and would get a bigger kick out of seeing those things. who are you to judge them?

Quoteand come on, visiting tokyo? every big city on earth is the exact same pile of concrete garbage, regardless of whether the americans, krauts, gooks or filthy spics put the pile of crappy neon signs together

lmao have you ever visited a big city outside your country? outside your continent? they're all really different, with different points of interest, different people, different food, museums, landscapes, etc.
you can't be that close-minded, and you're not smart enough to be that skeptical

|