Beginner Programmer here

Started by ZennyPLUS, February 13, 2012 12:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

ZennyPLUS

So yes, I don't know much about programming, but I want to learn more. The basic C++ course I took a semester ago didn't teach me much beyond nested loops and vectors. If anyone knows of good sites or reads about programming that would be most beneficial to me. I've tried searching myself, but I came up short with some very complicated sites that are dedicated to BASIC and Java. Since I started learning with C++, I'll just continue with it.

Oh books are fine recommendations too, I've been visiting the local libraries, but the books I've found just give me the history of the language, haha. Anything with info toward game design is cool too. Thanks in advance, TBA.

rtil

if you're looking into game programming i can't be of much help, but if you ever are looking into the web side of things i know a good amount of it

ZennyPLUS

Quote from: rtil on February 13, 2012 01:38 AM
if you're looking into game programming i can't be of much help, but if you ever are looking into the web side of things i know a good amount of it

Thanks WASIM, I'll take a gander. rtil, if you know anything about C++ in general that helps too. :)

rtil

#3
i can't say that i do :( i'm moderately good at php, mysql and javascript, and i can do html/css as well but they're not technically programming languages

Jon

ive been dieing to learn programming as well but yeah, i just don't know where to start



rtil

i dont understand how you can say that with all the information and resources we have so readily available to us today. you can learn everything you'd ever want to know about a programming language with tutorials from the internet and practicing developing on your own machine. sure it takes longer than taking classes and having an instructor, but it can be done. that's how i learned every programming language i know. this entire site was developed from learning web development on my own time

Jon

i don't know, i don't really have a good response to that...basically i'm just worried i'll be too dumb for it and won't be able to understand

guess i haven't found a good tutorial yet, i'll try the ones wasim posted. sorry to sort of derail the thread



ZennyPLUS

It's not derailing anything. I can understand the feeling of being overwhelmed, programming for the most part can seem daunting with all the jargon, special compilers and whatnot. My prof always told me a good book can take you really far. I hear BASIC isn't too bad, and very similar in structure to C++;but more simplified commands. However, C++ is better at conserving memory and allocation. I just thought it was cool to learn that entire OS that you're using on your PC was coded in C (if you're using Win7). CS is some nifty stuff, if you like problem-solving and working in teams, then you should definitely try out a course or join a club at your school if they have a CS group, Jon.

Jon

do you know anybody irl that knows a bit about programming or does it for a career, zenny? relatives, friends? i have a cousin who does it, and i was thinking of asking him to teach me. i was just wondering if you have that for an option



ZennyPLUS

I wish I could tell you Jon, but I don't know anybody who's really good AND can teach.