Official TBA StarCraft II Thread

Started by Sinitron, August 29, 2011 02:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

|

Sinitron

ABOUT THE GAME

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty and its expansions Heart of the Swarm and Legacy of the Void is the sequel to StarCraft and StarCraft: Brood War, the 1998 RTS classic which redefined the genre with 3 unique species to choose from - the highly advanced Protoss, ravenous Zerg and flexible Terran, each with its own strengths and weaknesses, and even more divergent playstyles in StarCraft II. The game is fast-paced and brutal, making it good for quick online matches, and player skill plays a large part in determining the outcome of a battle.

For more information, visit the official StarCraft II community website!

GETTING STARTED

- Go to this page and follow the instructions. Make sure you have a North American account, you can check this by logging into battle.net and viewing your account summary.
- Download and patch the client but be patient, the installation will take some time to complete.
- Start playing!

This is not a game you get for the single-player. It's alright for learning the ropes and game mechanics, but the multi-player is where it really shines. A lot of TBA members play it actively online. The easiest way to get in touch is usually through the forums or instant messaging, as people won't be sitting in-game the whole time, but you can still add people as friends.

To add friends, you must open the 'Friends' menu in the bottom right corner of the main screen once you are logged in. From there, click on 'add friend' and 'add character friend'. This will allow you to add people listed here;

Ashington - 215
BluPhoenix - 569
Crabarms - 268
Cipher - 768
Lionsef - 558
DMpsi - 137
DMsev - 591
Sinitron - 600
Gladius - 570
Stuart - 326
LillySatou - 551 (rtil)

(this list will be updated because SOME PEOPLE didn't give me their details yet)

Most people also have Skype, so a skype account is pretty beneficial as voice communication makes things a lot easier, but I won't list those here.

Finally, there's a great deal of online videos, guides and tutorials you can reference to help kickstart you. Day[9]'s Newbie Tuesdays, for example, are pretty good, and suggestions can be listed here;

Newbie Tuesday #1

WHY SHOULD I PLAY STARCRAFT II?

Compared to most current RTS games, StarCraft II is fairly well balanced, it doesn't take as long to finish a battle, and there's a wide array of playstyles available with the same basic mechanics for every race.

For example, the Protoss have the ability to instantly reinforce their position anywhere on the map with basic units provided they have a power field, which can be used by itself or in conjunction with more heavy duty tech. The Terrans can pick and choose from highly mobile infantry, devastating tanks and mechs, as well as a strong air force to complement either. Finally, the Zerg can rapidly produce large numbers of units, and if you stockpile resources and larvae, from which all Zerg units are derived, you can simply get the prerequisites for a unit and start producing it en masse right off the bat, which can be effective both defensively if you see it coming in time, and offensively to rapidly overwhelm the enemy.

The basic mechanics are easy to pick up on, and are shared between the races, but beyond that there's limitless potential and every player can find something that suits them. Due to how the ladder system works, it doesn't matter if you suck balls because you will eventually be facing people of a similar skill level anyway and can work your way up. Pretty much everyone here was awful when they started out and learned everything THE HARD WAY by getting their asses kicked for a while, but that's fine! There's even a special starter league so you can work on strategies and stuff for a while against real players without having to worry about getting bumrushed and dying 2 minutes into the game.

I'M STILL AFRAID OF GETTING MY ASS HANDED TO ME!!

If you don't want to be HARDCORE, there's always custom games against computers of any skill level you choose, as well as hundreds of custom game modes developed both by Blizzard and the users thanks to the powerful Galaxy Editor tool which comes with the game. There's everything from custom battles similar to the core game, to remakes of snake and pac-man, and even third-person shooters. DOTA-clones? Word games? Weird crappy party stuff? Everything is there, and if it isn't, somebody is probably making it. If you're up to the task, you can even create your own custom games and scenarios in the Galaxy Editor!

Gladius

Haven't had that much interest lately but I would recommend this game to any strategy fan

Good thread!
▬ஜ۩☆۩ஜ▬ ---★☆★☆★ DONALD TRUMP 2016 ★☆★☆★--- ▬ஜ۩☆۩ஜ▬

rtil

it will be good to have all the friend codes in one place for new players. i'll be getting mine later tonight and adding it as well

Sef

just as a precautionary second post

Lionsef 558

Sinitron

Quote from: lionsefjust as a precautionary second post

Lionsef 558
yeah i saw your post in the other thread when i finished this so i put you up

Sef

so If we're gonna be posting our SC2 happenings, will it be here or the older "Starcraft 2" thread? Or both?

Sinitron

here

basically the old one was extremely bloated, confusing and contained very little information to make it easy to understand what was going on so me and rtil agreed it was better to just make a new one

naturally

i downloaded it yesterday and played the first three starter missions then quit and uninstalled it because i knew i'd suck at it

i mean i'm REALLY bad so idk if it's even worth playing

Sef

so, doesnt mean you cant have fun with it

I mean, I suck at and still play (I only did my placement match seconds ago and am in the 2nd lowest league)

plus, you don't HAVE to play the multiplayer, you could, as previously mentioned, just play custom games

Sinitron

i've been playing since launch and i'm not even really that good even though i understand the game well because i'm bad at multitasking and shit, i'm just a huge asshole and do dumb shit to piss people off

naturally

Quote from: lionsefplus, you don't HAVE to play the multiplayer, you could, as previously mentioned, just play custom games

what's custom games?

Quote from: Tron Sawyeri've been playing since launch and i'm not even really that good even though i understand the game well because i'm bad at multitasking and shit, i'm just a huge asshole and do dumb shit to piss people off

i'm not really bad at multitasking but i haven't played an rts in the longest time and feel like playing one. also when i did play rts's the most fun i had was in multiplayer, which is why i'm worried about sucking.

i'm gonna download it again anyway 'cause i do want to play it, i just don't like taking a long time to get better

Sinitron

but it does take time to get better, especially if its an RTS game

it doesn't HAVE to take time to get the basics down, but there's always something you can work on

also custom games are unranked games which can either be arranged vs other players, the AI, or entirely different game modes

Sef

custom games are just user/blizzard created games that have unique goals scripting to have a different game experience than the normal multiplayer melee, like there tower defense, party games, etc

Sinitron

also you only get access to the terrans in the starter edition, the protoss and zerg might appeal to you more as they work very differently but you would have to buy the full game first

naturally

ok custom games sound like fun for me at the beginning. anyway i'm not a big fan of campaigns in rts's so whenever anyone wants to play a custom game or something i'll definitely play that. seems like it'd be good for at least letting me get basic skills.

Quote from: Tron Sawyeralso you only get access to the terrans in the starter edition, the protoss and zerg might appeal to you more as they work very differently but you would have to buy the full game first

that doesn't matter to me too much i think it's really cool anyway that they have some sort of starter edition 'cause i have no money right now

edit: btw i've played starcraft 1 before and i was bad at it and i played a lot of warcraft 3 and i was okay at that. warcraft 3 was mostly custom games though like island defense or dota.

cipher

Quote from: stusaderedit: btw i've played starcraft 1 before and i was bad at it and i played a lot of warcraft 3 and i was okay at that. warcraft 3 was mostly custom games though like island defense or dota.

yeah the custom game style is the same you'd find in warcraft III, although in all honesty I found the wc3 ones to be more fun, but sc2 is still good too.

Sinitron

sc2 is a lot easier to get into compared to sc1

and unlike wc3 stuff actually fucking dies

Sef

I wasnt too into Warcraft 3

and starcraft 2 offers alternatives to the normal melee type games, so that people who feel insecure about their skill level dont have to

naturally

alright cool when it finishes downloading i will add everyone

naturally

alright my thing is Stuart 326

|