resource-united
thebackalleys
squishies and a feminine penis
You are not logged in.
( Login | Register )

Recent Posts

Pages:
2 3 ... 10
General / Isn't this that cartoon u like?
« Last post by nuac_ on Today at 02:37 PM »
"Guy in the shell?"
General / Re: Forumers u no longer see -- rip
« Last post by ExBerian on August 16, 2018 10:06 PM »
When the civil war is done and the gun loving people will create an theocratic state based off of all of Christendom. Anime tiddy will be perma banned leaving discord useless.
Entertainment / Re: The Billy and Psi Show - SEASON 2
« Last post by put on August 11, 2018 09:51 AM »
put me in BITCHT
« Last post by rtil on August 6, 2018 11:36 PM »
when will forums become a cool retro thing that gen z will post on ironically?
« Last post by BluPhoenix on August 3, 2018 12:08 PM »
bluphoenix
« Last post by zwimmy on August 1, 2018 01:11 PM »
>POSTING ON A FORUM IN 2018
Entertainment / Re: The Billy and Psi Show - SEASON 2
« Last post by psi43 on July 26, 2018 08:12 AM »
Episode 2 is out now!
Entertainment / Re: Don't see Sayonara no Asa ni Yakusoku no Hana o Kazarō
« Last post by rtil on July 26, 2018 06:48 AM »
well franxx is derivative as shit so that's not saying much but yes that much is true. seitokai yakuindomo is dude lmao sex the anime, it gets old fast. golden boy is great with the right people, it's a great "party" anime as well imo. plus, visually, it's held up as a high budget cel-era ova. maybe i misjudged asobi asobase, obviously it's still airing and it could have staying power. if that is the case, i'm open to second chances.

i agree with all the criticisms of how okada directs. maquia does have this problem in the form of holding the audiences hand where it isn't necessary via flashbacks and montages - especially at the end, which i believe if removed would improve the finale substantially despite it being my favorite part of the film. it's a double-edged sword because maquia is thematically dense and moves at a million miles an hour, but i don't think the flashbacks were ever used appropriately to alleviate any problems with this. they were more like reminders of obvious callbacks that you'd only had forgotten about if you literally weren't paying attention.
« Last post by Bamyasi on July 25, 2018 06:05 PM »
Yeah looking back I might dislike Koe no Katachi as much as Maquia. In that movie's defense it was at least consistently sappy. The worst thing about it imo was the girl's voice. Had to choke back laughter every time she spoke. Should have just gotten Hatsune Miku to do the lines. The one-shot it was based on had heart to spare but the movie felt a bit cynical and underhanded.

If Okada was ever involved in something better than mediocre, I think it was in spite of her. The last few episodes of Anohana are a great example of bathos in my opinion. If drama in anime fails, it's usually because the writers or directors don't realize they're already working in the most emotive medium. All they have to do is deliver content. I think the ending of Anohana is so insulting and patronizing because it assumes the audience doesn't know how to cry unless given cues. It would be like at the end of Hotaru no Haka if all the characters gathered around Seita and started crying and apologizing for making his life miserable. It's just plain dishonest storytelling, and antithetical to the actual message. Menma didn't even need to be a ghost, the show was plenty compelling with her as a figment, because I think then it was at least exploring the decay of social cohesion after the loss of a precious person, much akin to how Twin Peaks went slightly to shit after the death of Laura Palmer.

Asobi Asobase is definitely embarrassing but all post-ironic humor is at least a little bit imo. I don't think it's especially more embarrassing than say Golden Boy or Seitokai Yakuindomo. You must admit there are at least more surprises in the first episode than the entirety of Beans in the Franxx.

Fireworks did pretty much everything wrong but still had its heart in the right place imo. I felt a feeling, which is more than I can say for either of the more widely lauded films we've been blasting ITT. Worth a torrent maybe.
« Last post by rtil on July 25, 2018 02:41 AM »
koe no katachi was not very good imo. the moefication of a girl whose only personality trait is that she is deaf bothered me, and the supporting cast outside of nagatsuka was utterly trivial. there was all this fluff added to the one shot that added absolutely nothing to the story.

i don't have any strong feelings towards okada herself, but i didn't like anohana. i was actually surprised there wasn't more crying in maquia. the excessive bawling in anohana really annoyed me, and i felt there was a lot of unnecessary drama and extremely awkward dialogue. hell that was even the case in koe no katachi. every single conflict was based on easily resolved misunderstandings.

i "get" the joke in asobi asobase but i don't particularly find it funny. the humor is uncomfortable in the way that i would be embarrassed if anyone saw me watching it. the art is cute, though.

isn't the fireworks movie where they re-live the same day over and over again until something changes? i didn't hear many good things about it. in fact i didn't hear anything good about it.
Pages:
2 3 ... 10